What's new

What is the G Bar plated with?

It sure does look cheap.
I think I might be leaning toward it as my favourite.
I don't know it's all too confusing.

I think I should pick up another one and have it plated in something nice.

Looks like one dip chrome to me. Rather thin and nothing under it except base metal

I find the handle a little awkward to hold but I have not used mine enough times to say if this is going to be a recurring problem.

A rhodium plated G-bar would look sweet though

Just looks like a cheap chrome plating, but the G-Bar has has become one of my favorites. It is one of those razors that I can grab, not even think about angles or anything else and get a great shave with.

Then it's settled. I'm going to find a cheap one and re plate it in Rhodium.

With the cost of Rhodium plating I would suggest that you find NOS G-bar so that you know you are getting one that will last as long as the plating does :lol:

Whatever the coating is, it has held up very well. Most of the G-Bars I see out there look pretty damn good for their age. I have picked up three of them over the past year for less than $10 each and none look like they have been even used.

With the cost of Rhodium plating I would suggest that you find NOS G-bar so that you know you are getting one that will last as long as the plating does :lol:

As long as it's not rusted out or severely damaged I wouldn't worry about it. They're built like tanks.:tank:

Last edited:
Whatever the coating is, it has held up very well. Most of the G-Bars I see out there look pretty damn good for their age. I have picked up three of them over the past year for less than $10 each and none look like they have been even used.

I gotta agree with this. I have yet to personally see a GBar that has suffered too much from over half a century of aging.

Shaved with mine again today.

Great razor and worth getting rhodium plated.

WHEN you get yours done I will be asking you for all the details.

This is one razor that is WORTH the expense of rhodium

proxy.php

My most favorite SE. i think it's plated with Rainbows and Unicorns cause that's how every shave goes when I use it. Great instrument. Perfect Handle and perfect level of aggressiveness

I got my G-Bar from a member as part of a four razor buy, it cost me around $10. No plate loss, close to minty, just a few barely visible scratches on the head. It is very solid in it's construction, I just prefer the warmth of a nice nickel plating over chrome. My only concern with getting a it replated would losing some of the knurling on the handle.

The way I view it, although the chrome reminds me of a toy gun, the razor shaves great and I love the vibe of the design, so I can live with the chrome.

proxy.php

Same here My user grade "Because it.was unsealed" looks like NOS , Also i have a NOS Sealed in its case, and the one out of the case looks just as good, G Bar is will made dont sleep on the littl guy, He knows how get a party started, just like this thread :eek:)

Sold a few and promised myself if I ever got one again I'd keep it. Check. Found one at as part of my May day fair. Great razor. Although it's not for sale and I'll never sell it maybe 1 day I'll give it away its that good

Looks to me like it's chrome, and good quality plating, but I stand to be corrected.

I managed to get a NOS Gem "G" complete with box, blades, cardboard shipping ribbon round the box and a dead cockroach in the box.

This razor doesn't get nearly enough attention. There is nothing that looks like the G, great design, and it gives great shaves to boot.

Top Bottom