What's new

What is Creed's house note?

Emmet that is a good question. I have noticed it too and I don't like either. I don't know what it but there is a large department store in Kansas City that has all the major Creed scents. I have sampled them all for the most part. Bois du Portugal, Green Irish Tweed, etc. They ALL have that note you refer to and they all smell synthetic to me. I can honestly say I don't like any of them. And no, this is not a Creed bashing post. I just don't like them much. Particularly at their price point. I don't know much about French perfumes but I have sampled two from Frederick Malle; Une Rose and Noir Epices. They are both FAR superior to Creed in my opinion. They are pricey too but at least you are getting that famed "French perfume" effect. Quality all around.

Regards, Todd

Emmet that is a good question. I have noticed it too and I don't like either. I don't know what it but there is a large department store in Kansas City that has all the major Creed scents. I have sampled them all for the most part. Bois du Portugal, Green Irish Tweed, etc. They ALL have that note you refer to and they all smell synthetic to me. I can honestly say I don't like any of them. And no, this is not a Creed bashing post. I just don't like them much. Particularly at their price point. I don't know much about French perfumes but I have sampled two from Frederick Malle; Une Rose and Noir Epices. They are both FAR superior to Creed in my opinion. They are pricey too but at least you are getting that famed "French perfume" effect. Quality all around.

Regards, Todd

Thanks, Todd, for letting me know your testing experience. I probably will not bother to sample any other Creeds now. The ambergris comes across very strong on me, almost to the exclusion of everything else in the cologne. Plus unless I go very lightly, it gives me a headache. Not good!

I've thought Creed to be overhyped in their scents. Their greatest achievement (from what I've sampled) is Green Irish Tweed and I think it's the ambergris that holds the scent together. It's the salty, slightly animalic scent that seperates GIT from other well-built fresh scents. It's the ambergris that also drew me to Royal English Leather. It adds a nice zing to the leather scent.

You seem sensitive to ambergris but how about civet or musk? Have you noticed anything from those scents?

I love their house note. I don't know if it is ambergris or not though. I am not always in to synthetic notes but real ambergris sounds nasty.

I guess it is a matter of opinion but I like 90% of the male/unisex creeds. I think their prices are outrageous but their scents really agree with me and everyone that smells me.

I've thought Creed to be overhyped in their scents. Their greatest achievement (from what I've sampled) is Green Irish Tweed and I think it's the ambergris that holds the scent together. It's the salty, slightly animalic scent that seperates GIT from other well-built fresh scents. It's the ambergris that also drew me to Royal English Leather. It adds a nice zing to the leather scent.

You seem sensitive to ambergris but how about civet or musk? Have you noticed anything from those scents?

The REL is the one other I was very interested in trying. I think I have tried a few scents with some musk (AdP Colonia Assoluta lists white musk as a note and I really like that frag). I don't think I've tried anything with civet.

Regards, Todd

Noir Epices is great juice. I really cannot rave too much about it.

I'm not in love with the ambergris base note, either. However, if you're a lavender fan I highly recommend you check out their Royal Scottish Lavender. Seems to be pretty much ambergris-free. Citrus top notes w/lavender & vanilla. Old-school for sure, but definitely classy.

It's the salty, slightly animalic scent that seperates GIT from other well-built fresh scents.

That's a pretty good description of how I smell the ambergris base. Don't really care for it. Actually, I've never been too crazy about Creeds in general, although I certainly haven't smelled them all.

Guess I'm not on the whale juice train. :tongue_sm

Top Bottom