What's new

What is a good "starter" fountain pen?

Pilot Metropolitan, Platnium Preppy, or Sailor Compass 1911 are all good places to start. My EDC is generally the Sailor; it has been a very very reliable pen for me. The nib provides a little bite or feedback that Sailor is known for in their high end pens, yet somehow is still a smooth writer. Keep in mind that the ink you use can be just as important as the pen you use. Some inks will bleed or feather (spread) on certain types of paper more so than others. There is a blog called mountain of ink that has done dozens, if not, hundreds of ink tests. It helped me pick out a couple that I lean towards in daily use.

Probably the reason they caught my eye, I wasn't comparing prices, just the page that showed the pens in closed, open, and posted. I'm sure I can find one in my price range from that list.

View attachment 1510618

Is Goulet Pens like the Maggards of razors, or is there another pen superstore I should be perusing?

~doug~
Goulet, Jet Pens, Pen Chalet, Pen Boutique.

if you sign up to receive their e-mails, pen stores usually give a discount on your first purchase. Might not be a lot, but I’m all for saving money. I have a separate e-mail from personal e-mail for things like this.

I have the Twsbi Swipe with an EF nib. I know it depends on ink and paper, but it writes with a very wide line. I’d call it medium compared to my other pens, which are all Fine nibs.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Ok, after a quick perusal on the Goulet Pens website here are some of the pens that caught my eye, not in any particular order just yet. Any thoughts on these pens?

TWSBI Swipe - Taiwanese made, TWSBI's entry in the cartridge pen market, good reviews
Platinum Prefounte - basically a classed-up preppy, I have one and its good
Platinum President - allegedly Bill Clinton's favorite pen (hence the name), good value for a large, gold nib pen. My 3776 Century is outstanding and I expect the President would be similar.
Pilot Falcon - Flexible nib, good value for a gold nib pen
Pilot Custom 823 - Neil Gaiman's favorite pen; maybe the best pure "bang for the buck" pen in all of pendom (but they still ain't exactly cheap), if you're seriously interested in this pen - don't fool around with cheap pens, just save up and buy it
Online Switch Plus - never heard f it
Maiora Mitho K - looks fancy, but still never heard of it
Namiki - 🤑🤑🤑 Pilot's top of the line, among the best pens in the world, yet still wildly underrated - the pen version of Grand Seiko
Lamy Al-Star - a metal Safari, if you want a Safari but hate plastic pens - get this one
Lamy Nexx - kind of looks like a more boring alternative to the Safari, I'd rather have the OG or a Studio
Jinhao 159 - no offense to all the Jinhao lovers on this thread, but hard pass for me
Jinhao X750 - ditto

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Thanks @tankerjohn! That helps narrow things down, now my list looks more like this ➡️

Pilot Falcon
3776 Century
Pilot Custom 823
TWSBI Swipe
Lamy Al-Star
Platinum Prefounte

~doug~

tankerjohn

Thanks @tankerjohn! That helps narrow things down, now my list looks more like this ➡️

Pilot Falcon
3776 Century
Pilot Custom 823
TWSBI Swipe
Lamy Al-Star
Platinum Prefounte

~doug~
You're very welcome. Do get some other opinions, though. I like your narrowed down list, though I trust you know there a substantial price and quality difference between the first three and last three.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
You're very welcome. Do get some other opinions, though. I like your narrowed down list, though I trust you know there a substantial price and quality difference between the first three and last three.
I've got a Metropolitan and Preppy on the way to keep me busy while I decide on which of the top three to hint at for my upcoming birthday. :biggrin1:

~doug~

tankerjohn

I've got a Metropolitan and Preppy on the way to keep me busy while I decide on which of the top three to hint at for my upcoming birthday. :biggrin1:

~doug~
Well played, sir! :clap:Excellent course of action. Ooo, tough choice. Each of those pens provides a rather unique writing experience. I could easily see having all three in one's collection for different purposes, especially with different nib sizes. I think you'll find plentiful reviews of all of them on the various blogs and socials and video sites to aide in your decision. Should be a fun journey!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Well played, sir! :clap:Excellent course of action. Ooo, tough choice. Each of those pens provides a rather unique writing experience. I could easily see having all three in one's collection for different purposes, especially with different nib sizes. I think you'll find plentiful reviews of all of them on the various blogs and socials and video sites to aide in your decision. Should be a fun journey!
For now I went with a fine nib and black ink on both pens. The Preppy is affordable enough to keep a few sizes and colors on hand. That Century 100 @Multum in parvo just ordered has certainly caught my eye...:rolleyes1

~doug~

For now I went with a fine nib and black ink on both pens. The Preppy is affordable enough to keep a few sizes and colors on hand. That Century 100 @Multum in parvo just ordered has certainly caught my eye...:rolleyes1

~doug~
It’s already here Doug. Writes fine but has some little quirks that I would be bothered with would it be my only pen.

1AA7F7AC-8311-404F-BEBB-7B63EA82EC67.jpeg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
It’s already here Doug. Writes fine but has some little quirks that I would be bothered with would it be my only pen.

View attachment 1511623
I do like the looks of that pen, Hannes. Mind if I ask where you ordered it from?
20220828_111614.jpg

I like the precision of the Metropolitan Fine, the Preppy Fine is slightly bolder which I like, and the Speedball 1.1 has plenty of expression.
I'm looking for something in the middle with expression, most likely a Platinum Prefounte-Dark Emerald-medium nib.

~doug~

I do like the looks of that pen, Hannes. Mind if I ask where you ordered it from?
View attachment 1512955
I like the precision of the Metropolitan Fine, the Preppy Fine is slightly bolder which I like, and the Speedball 1.1 has plenty of expression.
I'm looking for something in the middle with expression, most likely a Platinum Prefounte-Dark Emerald-medium nib.

~doug~
Simply via Amazon, the 51a is still underway.

I have at least 4 Jinhao fountain pens. All have excellent nibs. On this basis, and what others says about Jinhaos, I'd say almost any model will make you happy. I don't care for my 86, but that's because I was expecting orange and got pink. If you want a somewhat largest pen, the Century 100 is a good choice, and it comes in many colors/patterns.

At some point, you may want to try out a vintage pen. The Parker 51 is a perennial favorite, but I also like the Parker 21. These pens are made to last. I won't take you any farther down the "rabbit hole".
I spent some time looking around at the Jinhao pens and bought the 601a for less than $10 on that giant river store. It arrived today and I am stunned. It has some heft and feels in hand like my Pilot Metro! And it has a very nice piston filler (which I love as I like the Noodler Bullet-Proof black inks for work). Thanks for the advice above, and thanks to the others who mentioned this and other pens that I *need* to have! Yous guys make me spend all my lunch money on pens, razors, inks, coffees, and brushes!!

Hi Doug @Rosseforp got my 51a today. I’d say it’s a better suited everyday pen than the 100 even though the hooded nib gives less feedback than the full-size 100. It’s sleek and nimble and holds a second cartridge if you don’t want to fumble around with converters.

2F03AE08-C279-4285-844A-7E9F5E86D17A.jpeg

6F6181D8-D4CD-477B-8482-BA98550EA22F.jpeg

FDB91DB1-8C9A-4864-9460-E4B7A0348F40.jpeg

tankerjohn

I'm finding the Metropolitan is a bit smoother than the Preppy, but the Speedball feels the smoothest to me, just wish the nib was a medium.

~doug~
Platinum nibs are known for having feedback, true for the cheapest Preppies up to very expensive 3776s. The broader nibs are somewhat less so, but still not as smooth as Pilots or most German nibs. Some people love the feedback, others don’t. It’s sort of like with shaving brushes where one man’s scritchy is another man’s scratchy. Pilot, by far, has the smoothest nibs of the Japanese “Big 3”.

Got the Gullor version of the Jinhao 51a today, metal body and a screw down cap. I thought it DOA as it didn’t write after 15min with a cartridge in but overnight the ink started to flow and now it writes as smooth as the acetate one.

43410926-9373-4775-8604-298865491AB7.jpeg

Top Bottom