What's new

What is a Dunston Ark?

To carry on from the recent thread on Natural Whetstone arks, it seems some stones received are arkams or dunston. I can find no info on what a Dunston stone is besides 'not an ark' or between a hard and true black. Mine has a high sg but flattened easier than my trans black, though it wasn't easy. I have seen people complain about dunstons without lapping and love them after lapping. Any comments or opinions are welcome. I am sitting here with a 10"*3"*1" with a glassy finish after lapping it.

Dunston is a location, not actually a type of stone. Referring to a stone as a 'Dunston' means only that is was sourced at the Dunston location. And any quarry location could, feasibly, have numbers of veins offering a number of stone types; so there's that. That said, at one time, the only Ark seller that was actually/activrely quarrying that location for whetstones listed one of their black Arkansas stones as a 'Dunston Black' Arkansas. The successor to that source still sells the 'Dunston Black' stone, but without the term 'Dunston' in the product name. That stone is not Novaculite, it is a type of slate. That source wholesales stones to a number of vendors.

Top Bottom