What's new

What hones to get?

Id recommend these:

Norton:
220/1000
4000/8000

Then a finisher....coticule, escher, chinese 12k etc

You should be using something between bbw and 12k stone, that gap is pretty big.

That's the exact setup I have, with C12K as a finisher. Produces wickedly sharp edges.

I just redid 2 EBay near wedges with a nani ss1000 and a coti and it was a long process but they are both shave ready for the most part. They could both use a little fine tuning on the edge but I'll get them straightened out.

That's the exact setup I have, with C12K as a finisher. Produces wickedly sharp edges.

Id recommend these:

Norton:
220/1000
4000/8000

Then a finisher....coticule, escher, chinese 12k etc

You should be using something between bbw and 12k stone, that gap is pretty big.

Same here. I am real new at honing but I'm getting very satisfactory edges.

If you're worried about cost, for the price of a BBW and a Chinese hone, you could get a small coticule bout (or a larger BBW!), which would fit most of your needs. Coticule bouts are cheaper per square inch than rectangular coticules. (Some bout are even rectangular with maybe a tiny chip at one corner!) Get a DMT D6F too, and that's all you'd really ever need. Anything larger than 2"x6" is a luxury.

As far as BBW, yes, they vary. One sign of a good BBW is that it will have pink dots on it. Even if you get a "lesser" one, Ardennes (assuming you buy new) still guarantees that they will be functional hones.

I'll probably go with the 220/1k, 4k/8k and a c12k and get a coti when i'm used to honing more.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
What's the word on the DMT8EE (8k)? No entry for DMT in the HONES review section yet. From my reading, they would seem to be fine and "no lapping reqd" would be a bonus for me as I'm looking for my first stone. My Wapi came pre-honed so all I need is regular maintenance.

Testing it and seeing how your face likes it is something you may need to try first. Diamond hones can leave very sharp edges and by very sharp I mean your face will feel it bite too so you would need paste after to smooth things out.

What's the word on the DMT8EE (8k)? No entry for DMT in the HONES review section yet. From my reading, they would seem to be fine and "no lapping reqd" would be a bonus for me as I'm looking for my first stone. My Wapi came pre-honed so all I need is regular maintenance.

I've heard that they are harsh to shave directly off of. I never got around to testing this when I had one, though.

Top Bottom