What's new

What have I learned?

After having sampled hundreds of frags, I am finally getting an idea of what it is exactly that I prefer in a frag.

The common accords among my favorites are soapy, woody, spicy and citrus with a scattering of earth, moss and leather. Woody seems to be my favorite accord whether soapy or not with soapy coming in second whether woody or not. I like these woody or soapy frags so much that I feel comfortable wearing them summer to winter and business to casual.

Although there may be fern, moss and leather among my favorites I wouldn't say that I fancy fougere or chypre frags per se because the ones which I prefer are also woody or soapy. I may like some frags which are not woody or soapy, but they wouldn't be among my favorites and would be more of a novelty which I may wear on occassion.

The spice I like is pretty much limited to pepper and I can do without all the others such as anise, allspice, camphor, caraway, cardamom, cinnamon, cumin, fenugreek, nutmeg, tumeric, vanilla, etc.

I can also be pretty certain that I am not going to take a liking for anything gourmand, fruity, herbal, green, floral, or powdery.

Top 10:
Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (soapy & peppery vetiver)
Eastwest Bottlers Moonshine (peppery woods)
D.R. Harris Windsor (peppery woods)
Borsari Acqua Classica (peppery & woody citrus)
Yardley Citrus & Woods (woody citrus)
Crown Buckingham (soapy woods)
Crown Spiced Limes (soapy citrus)
Pennhaligon English Fern (soapy fern)
Sir Irisch Moos (soapy oakmoss)
HEELEY Sel Marin (woody marine)

Honorable Mention:
MdO Nombres d'Or Vetyver (cedar & vetiver)
Creed Original Vetiver (soapy vetiver)
Creed Green Irish Tweed (soapy floral)
Tom Ford Neroli Portofino (soapy neroli)
Montale Dark Aoud (oud & sandalwood)
Slumberhouse Norne (forest absolutes)
SSS Fireside Intense (smoky woods)
L'Artisan Dzongkha (smoky woods & incense)
Humiecki & Graef Skarb (smoky woods & incense)
Lisa Kirk Revolution (woods & teargas)

Last edited:
Hope you find what you are looking for! Sort of ironic that after spending thousands of dollars I discover my favorites are among the least expensive.

FWIW, just received samples from indie scents. Eastwest- too light for me. Slumberhouse norne is FANTASTIC. Not an everyday frag, but very interesting. I don't get a lot of incense. I do get a lot of evergreen.

Another sampler from Garry arrived.

Another spot on frag - yardley citrus wood

went outside the box and got

encre noir- great
chanel sycomore- not sure what note it is but I don't like it
mpg Santal noble- too powdery.

Top Bottom