What's new

What has happened to the Old Spice brand?

The Old Spice team has all but abandoned the Classic scent. It hasn't "taken a back seat." It's been thrown in the trunk. It's a shadow of it's former self. Never mind the fact that it's in a plastic bottle now... The people of Old Spice are catering solely to teenagers when they should be focusing on ADULTS as well. They have made the pre-teen "Swagger" scent the new staple of Old Spice. Classic is secondary. It's just something extra. You don't see a body spray with the Classic scent...do ya? The Classic should be THE scent and face of the brand.

The Classic offers after shave, cologne, deodorant and body wash. No shaving cream.
Pure Sport offers after shave, body spray, body wash and deodorant. No cologne or shaving cream.
Fresh offers just deodorant. That's it.
Fresh Lime has vanished all together. At least here in The States.
And Smooth Blast got the axe in 2013.

Gone are the days when Old Spice offered these excellent scents in the form of after shave, cologne, deodorant, body wash, AND SHAVING CREAM! Trying having ALL of that in a luxury, high end product without breaking the bank! They also offered Limited Edition decanter products for Classic and Holiday Gift Sets, too! Not anymore. They have no variations anymore, either. It's just Classic and Pure Sport after shaves. They once had an enormous line of scents: Leather, Burley, Fresh, Fresh Lime, Musk, Whitewater, Lagoon, Icerock, Smooth Blast and even a "high end" Night Spice. At least have a Swagger after shave! Little by little, they're all going away. And nothing new has surfaced. In time, I'm sure Pure Sport will be the next to die.

Old Spice use to mean something. Awesome scented after shaves and colognes in buoy shaped bottles with an assortment of toiletry products to go with it at very affordable prices. When you walk into a super market or drug store looking for Old Spice, you see body washes and deodorants with terrible scents and names for high schoolers and one bottle of Classic after shave. If you're lucky...a bottle of Pure Sport after shave will be next to it. And if you're REALLY lucky...the spray cologne. Old Spice is becoming AXE.

Sorry about all this... I needed to vent to people who (might) feel the same.

I am sorry, but I am just not a fan of the scent. I recall many a year that my father used it. I am not sure I could utilize a container of Old Spice.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Times change. We are like collectors of vintage automobiles and how many of those do you see as daily drivers in traffic? Younger Millennials don't like "old fogey" scents and they are where the market (read $$) is at. If Old Spice Original was that much in demand then then P&G would make more of it. Alas, it is not. As well, know that safety razor users in the Western World are not even a blip on the radar. Less than 1% probably. I would encourage you to buy some artisan AS's that are more to your tastes as some are truly spectacular.

I agree with the millennial statement. However. I, myself, am a millennial (At 28 years old, I don't identify as one!) and if there is one thing I've noticed, a millennials "saving grace" is that they are nostalgic. For that one reason, I remain hopeful. Old Spice classic scent is the nucleolus. Without it, I won't survive long. And it doesn't have to be something for wet savers only! My dad used Old Spice for YEARS and he was an electric shaver kinda guy.

I love Old Spice too much to stop using it. It just breaks my heart to see something as American as Old Spice fizzle out in such a way. The OS folks have limited there target audience. If I ran that show, I'd have everything on the table for everybody. I'd offer the products for teens, adults (the American "classic" and Indian "original" in glass bottles with all the variations) and why not include toiletries for women like OS originally did in the late 30s?

And I like that vintage automobiles analogy.

Last edited:
I agree with the millennial statement. However. I, myself, am a millennial (At 28 years old, I don't identify as one!) and if there is one thing I've noticed, a millennials "saving grace" is that they are nostalgic. For that one reason, I remain hopeful. Old Spice classic scent is the nucleolus. Without it, I won't survive long.

I love Old Spice too much to stop using it. It just breaks my heart to see something as American as Old Spice fizzle out in such a way.

And I like that vintage automobiles analogy.
There are millennials and then there are those amongst them who discover wet shaving ... [emoji56]

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

P&G still makes classic aftershave, cologne, and antiperspirant. If you're not finding it, that's because your retailers aren't stocking it, and that's probably happening because it's not selling. Spice scents are not in fashion now.

I don't think P&G needs to be faulted for extending the brand to chase a new generation of men who may appreciate the nostalgia of the name but (not to put too fine a point on it) don't want to smell like an old man. I think it's pretty clear what the market thinks about that. Today I received my 22-year-old nephew's Christmas list. It includes some newer OS products. At the end of the day, those who flash the cash will be served.

Besides, some of these aren't half bad. My wife, who hates classic Old Spice because she thinks it smells old, surprised me with a buoy-shaped bottle the other day. It is an Old Spice brand sandalwood and vanilla pump spray fragrance called Pinnacle. It is quite nice.

For some reason I can only wear the 'Original' deodorant, as the rest tend to burn me a bit and make me red for some reason? And as much as I love a bunch of the scents, every one of their body washes makes me itchy!! Never did find it to be a great aftershave though, except for the scent.

When it came out, it probably was marketed to the young whipper snappers of that era, too. Shrug. Every generation has its Brut.

BTW, if you have a Dollar General near you, look for their bottle of Old Spice AS. It's smaller and the price per ounce is higher than Walmart. But the smell is different. Yes, this is genuine Old Spice, not a store brand.

If the double breasted suit and boot cut jeans can make a come back, so can Old Spice. I'm one of the few who prefers the P&G version over the Indian because I remember the Old Spice my Dad wore throughout the 90s. I have no idea what the Shulton stuff smells like.

IMO, Clubman and English Leather smell old manish. OS has a nice cinnamon and vanilla kick that I love. I have always looked at Old Spice as "the working man's scent." That's what my Dad was and that's who I am.

And since my grandfather wore Aqua Velva, I associate that with him...even though I do think young people can get away with that one too. Plus, I'm built like a young Sean Connery with my chest hair so musk and spice scents are for me 100%. My summer scents alternate between Pure Sport and Fresh Lime (love that stuff).

I've heard on the street that the 'dollar store' OS is no longer sold. I live in Jersey, so Family Dollar is what I've got.

If the double breasted suit and boot cut jeans can make a come back, so can Old Spice. I'm one of the few who prefers the P&G version over the Indian because I remember the Old Spice my Dad wore throughout the 90s. I have no idea what the Shulton stuff smells like.

When P&G first did the OS revival with the "Man Your Man Could Smell Like " ad blitz in 2010, that ad was for classic scented body wash. They pushed the classic scent. The scent extensions came later. And they're simply doing better. OS has doubled its brand sales every year since then with the new scents, because people buy them. At the end of the day, the customers with money get what they want.

I’ve used the classic my whole life thru all the ownership changes and TBH have not noticed a change in scent. The same hoopla happens when Shulton took the saccharine out of it.

I think people assume it should have notes of bay rum and it never did. It has always had strong geranium, carnation and tonka beats as long as I have used it.

Not fond of the newer expanded range of scents but am glad it kept the brand alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P&G still makes Old Spice after shave and shaving cream in India. It's available on eBay.

Sent from my Huawei P9 Lite using Tapatalk

Thank you, saimento! A good man has to pamper himself somehow. Best way to do it is with a nice shave.

I have the Indian OS Original and Fresh Lime. Need to try Musk next. The P&G version is what OS always was to me. Like I said earlier, I only know the OS post 1990. But It's weird.... the Indian OS smells like OS even though it and the P&G version are like night and day by comparison.

I'm torn between giving my money to an American company for an American product I love that has been neglected and giving it to an over seas company that treats it with the respect it deserves and is still targeted towards adults. Love how they offer shaving cream for it. Hate to say it, but they are doing it right. They have a product that they market for both youngsters and adults with the shave cream and after shave option with various deodorants and body sprays. I wonder how well the longevity of the sprays hold up since they don't offer cologne.

As for Pinnacle (and Flagship) 'Everyday' scents, I have both as well. Got them off eBay. Haven't seen them in stores at all. Or anywhere else on the web. I agree, Pinnacle is good. Flagship is 'ehh'...I use that to spray my car with. These are two products I don't understand at all. I find their existence bizarre.

Top Bottom