What's new

What happened here?

Check out item # 220493198226 on ebay.

A 3 day listing for a double ring (seller was clueless) that ended in 6 1/2 hours with 2 bids.

Len

If I had to guess, the seller accepted an offer to end the item and sell at a fixed price (doubtlessly, less than the item was worth).

Bidders try to do that quite often when they see an item they want and are afraid the bidding will go very high, especially with things that the seller isn't familiar with enough to know the value.

My guess, either as AMB said above, or he got enough BIN offers that he pulled it and is researching (I doubt that, as the high bidder is shown as the winning bid).

I'm at least glad he didn't put shoe polish on the box!

I saw it had ended about 1/2 hour after it did (had only spotted it 2 hours earlier). Yep, I was going to bid, but didn't expect to win this time.

I sent the Seller a question asking if it sold or was to be re-listed (yes, mis spelled title, so I thought maybe...). No response as yet.

I hope one of our Members got it!

The Seller responded, they sold it to a regular customer for $100. Forgot they'd promised to show it to them first. Still hope it was one of our Members!

On Friday someone offered us $100 to end one of our auctions. Then someone else asked the same. Said no both times, for reasons stated above (they want to avoid a dogfight, and they have seen the item go for more...fingers crossed).

On Friday someone offered us $100 to end one of our auctions. Then someone else asked the same. Said no both times, for reasons stated above (they want to avoid a dogfight, and they have seen the item go for more...fingers crossed).

Is this a violation of ebay rules, or is it OK to make an offer to a seller to end the auction for a specific price (I'm assuming we're talking about an auction withou a BIN option)?

Is this a violation of ebay rules, or is it OK to make an offer to a seller to end the auction for a specific price (I'm assuming we're talking about an auction withou a BIN option)?

I'm no power seller by any means, but my understanding is that if there are no bids, you can do pretty much whatever you want with an auction, including adding a BIN option, which would naturally end in immediately in this circumstance. I should clarify that both people asked me to add a BIN, and one named the price he'd pay for me to do it. Don't really see how doing that is a violation of any eebay policy, since the sale DOES end legitimately...more or less.

We were sorely tempted, let me tell ya...bird in the hand and all that.

I missed this item tonight because I was on here and forgot about it

Number: 200391142129

Pocket edition listed for $29.99. Didn't even pull one bid. Kind of surprising.

I'm really surprised this one didn't sell. It looked in good condition. I'm the one that asked about the plating even though I had no intention of bidding on it as I have this set already.

Len

I'm no power seller by any means, but my understanding is that if there are no bids, you can do pretty much whatever you want with an auction, including adding a BIN option, which would naturally end in immediately in this circumstance. .......

But this auction already had two bids by different bidders. I thought selling by email was a violation when there were bids. I also believe the response to T Rick was a lie. (my guess)

Len

Completely missed that one! I bid on one just like it (not shined up) a couple days ago, but got out bid. But I did pick up a couple nice items this evening :wink:. BTW, you're right, we do have similar tastes. (Will contact you after the New Standard gets here so I know exactly what I have to deal with :cool:).

While I'm a buyer, not a Seller there, I do know they can end an auction early and sell to the highest bidder. They can also change the auction to a BIN if they agree on a price with a buyer (I've had some so that). Unless the person they sold to was the high bidder here (at $28), then they did in fact violate eBay policy. But they'll get away with it. It happens all the time.

I've seen auctions canceled when I was certain a sale had taken place, and the reason listed stated "The Seller ended the auction because the item is no longer available for sale", and seen "because the item was damaged" and other such things. Seen these with vintage watches, though I have not seen them in some time.

Also had one Seller flat out refuse to sell to me after I was high bidder at the end of the auction. He set it up wrong, and thought it would go higher (for a new Nomex flight jacket). Sent me a message saying, "Sorry". eBay let him get sway with it. I'd guess because he probably paid the same fees either way. That again was a long time ago (and I found the jacket a couple weeks later).

But this auction already had two bids by different bidders. I thought selling by email was a violation when there were bids. I also believe the response to T Rick was a lie. (my guess)

Len

I really don't think so. But it wouldn't be the first time I mis read them. First message asked which Item I was talking about (?:confused:?). So after a clarification, I got the response. I think they may have been being honest. Let's see if it shows back up (maybe the buyer will re-sell it?).

Last edited:
eBay doesn't really have the power to force a seller to sell, any more than they can force a bidder to pay. If a seller refuses, you do have the power to do a number of things. Assuming you paid and haven't been refunded yet, you file an Item Not Received claim with paypal to get your money back. If they have told you via email that they will not sell what you won, you can file a non-performing seller report. You will need full email headers in order for the report to be looked at, without them it goes in the circular file. And lastly, you can leave negative feedback.
Over the last few years eBay has been cracking down on bad sellers. Enough reports and bad feedback + stars, and the seller either gets restricted or gets the boot entirely.

Heheh... we DO have similar tastes, don't we? See below.

I'm really surprised this one didn't sell. It looked in good condition. I'm the one that asked about the plating even though I had no intention of bidding on it as I have this set already.

Len

I thought this one looked familiar, though I didn't verify it was the same. Nearly went off without a bid again. I had it open in two windows as the bid approached, still no bids. Kept waiting for pcullens to jump on it (I have unknowingly sniped a bid or two of his recently, felt bad). Still nothing. Finally, I clicked submit with 5 seconds left (showed up as 3). Bought the item for $29.99 plus shipping. My first Pocket Edition (what's this one called?)

A tip for those of you who forget and miss auctions (as described above by pcullens, and I've done it dozens of times over the years, missed some really great buys!).
Auction Sniper. They start you off with some free snipes (5 I think) and even let you set the number of seconds before an auction ends for bid submission. It works, it's automatic and won't forget. Just don't forget what you've told it to bid on! (Easily checked by logging in to their site). Once the free snipes are used up, their pricing is quite fair IMHO, I think 1% on auctions won. So had I used it this time, this one would have cost me 30¢. Worth every penny.

Last edited:
this one[/URL] looked familiar, though I didn't verify it was the same. Nearly went off without a bid again. .........

Yes this is the same one. The first time it was offered I asked whether it was gold or silver. The seller replied it was silver. I often have to ask because their cameras have very poor or non existent auto white balance.

Nice score.

Len

If you guys are wondering what happened to the razor in the OP, I got that one. I made a thread about it a few days ago, hadn't seen this or else I would have just posted it here. My thread's here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=112648&page=2
Sorry to all the watchers, I'd been wanting one for quite a while.

No need to apologize as far as I'm concerned, I'm just glad someone here got it! Thought yours looked familiar when I read the other post, VERY nice score! (Besides, I don't want to be a pig... I grabbed the last Double Ring on eBay a couple weeks ago :biggrin:).

Top Bottom