What's new

What Green Coffee did you Buy or Roast Today?

Hi Steve,

I held off on replying to your post because I wanted to practice on a few additional roasts (and read a couple of posts on home-barista.com).

Re slow rise vs. quick rise:

I've observed the exact same phenomenon as you have. I roast 175g batches on the HT (this gives me almost exactly 13 roasts per 5lbs of greens). When drying, I can hit 300-305*F in about 5:30-6 minutes using either heat 6 or heat 7. However, roasts done on heat 7 usually taste brighter and sweeter. I suspect this has something to do with the HT's perforated drum permitting the heating element to heat the beans directly.

Quick questions:

How closely do ET thermocouple readings correlate to the HT's internal display when the drum is empty?

Is your ET at 350*F when you charge? What does your HT internal display show at the same time?

I usually charge at 300*F on the HT's internal display...

Does installation of the TC4C board circumvent the mandatory HT cool down peior before every roast?

Thank you for the help!

Here's a couple to start off with. The first one I call slow and steady and it will give me a nice even rise to first crack. That being said, it hits all the "accepted" segment times. 5 mins to 300, 2-3 mins to F, and 3-4 mins to SC.

View attachment 485389

The second I call Quick Rise, it keeps full power until just around FC and then throttles back. I still get near 5 mins to 300F and FC still occurs around the same temp, but it seem to happen with more power. FC tends to be louder and more vigorous with this profile.
View attachment 485390

Both profiles produce good coffee, but I'm liking the Quick Rise a little more. The coffee seems to have a bit more acidity and mouth feel. I has a tad less body, but I'm okay with that.

The built-in thermocouple reads about 15-20*F higher than the thermocouples I installed. This seems to be the case for most people using omega thermocouples. My BT reads about 365*F +/- 10*F for first crack, the built in thermocouple shows about a 385ish first crack temp.

I do charge at a ET of 350*F. I've tried a few other temps, but I've gotten my best results between 300-350 ET for a charge temp. If the bean is a little softer or if I charge less than my usual 225 grams, I'll charge closer to 300*F. The Hottop display reads around 380ish when I charge.

The TC4C leaves all of the Hottop's "safety" features intact, so it does not circumvent the 165 cool down. Mick, "turtle", has a post describing an interrupt that he installed on his Hottop that bypasses the cool down, but I haven't installed that on mine. I normally pull the filter, open the chaff tray, and the charging shoot and let the fan run at 100% for about 10 mins. In that time, I'm weighing out my results from the last run and the beans for the next run. I rarely wait for the Hottop to cool. When I'm ready, my machine is usually ready for me.

Hi Steve,

I held off on replying to your post because I wanted to practice on a few additional roasts (and read a couple of posts on home-barista.com).

Re slow rise vs. quick rise:

I've observed the exact same phenomenon as you have. I roast 175g batches on the HT (this gives me almost exactly 13 roasts per 5lbs of greens). When drying, I can hit 300-305*F in about 5:30-6 minutes using either heat 6 or heat 7. However, roasts done on heat 7 usually taste brighter and sweeter. I suspect this has something to do with the HT's perforated drum permitting the heating element to heat the beans directly.

Quick questions:

How closely do ET thermocouple readings correlate to the HT's internal display when the drum is empty?

Is your ET at 350*F when you charge? What does your HT internal display show at the same time?

I usually charge at 300*F on the HT's internal display...

Does installation of the TC4C board circumvent the mandatory HT cool down peior before every roast?

Thank you for the help!

Last edited:
Thank you, Steve, for the help!

I appreciate all the information you've shared. It's immensely helpful.

The built-in thermocouple reads about 15-20*F higher than the thermocouples I installed. This seems to be the case for most people using omega thermocouples. My BT reads about 365*F +/- 10*F for first crack, the built in thermocouple shows about a 385ish first crack temp.

I do charge at a ET of 350*F. I've tried a few other temps, but I've gotten my best results between 300-350 ET for a charge temp. If the bean is a little softer or if I charge less than my usual 225 grams, I'll charge closer to 300*F. The Hottop display reads around 380ish when I charge.

The TC4C leaves all of the Hottop's "safety" features intact, so it does not circumvent the 165 cool down. Mick, "turtle", has a post describing an interrupt that he installed on his Hottop that bypasses the cool down, but I haven't installed that on mine. I normally pull the filter, open the chaff tray, and the charging shoot and let the fan run at 100% for about 10 mins. In that time, I'm weighing out my results from the last run and the beans for the next run. I rarely wait for the Hottop to cool. When I'm ready, my machine is usually ready for me.

The mailman was awful good to my coffee hobby today:

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408999756.814395.jpg

15# of greens and Scott Rao's new book. This should make for a fun few days!

The mailman was awful good to my coffee hobby today:

15# of greens and Scott Rao's new book. This should make for a fun few days!

Last time the mail (lady) brought me any coffee she gave gave me the riot act wanting to know what was so heavy. When I said coffee she said go to starbucks and get it by the cup, it doesn't weigh as much that way.

Sitting around 100# now and I think this pretty much sits me up for the rest of the year :yesnod:

proxy.php

Well Mick, ya got me beat by a good 60#.

This order was actually my first through Green Coffee Buyers Club. I've been a member for a few months but finally got around to trying some of their offerings. I got a Kenyan Peaberry, Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, and a Columbian for ~$5.50/lb shipped. Pretty good deal if the coffees turn out.

As for your Mail Carrier, next time just have a lb of roasted coffee waiting for her. She'll never recommend your to Charbucks again! :)

Last time the mail (lady) brought me any coffee she gave gave me the riot act wanting to know what was so heavy. When I said coffee she said go to starbucks and get it by the cup, it doesn't weigh as much that way.

Sitting around 100# now and I think this pretty much sits me up for the rest of the year :yesnod:

proxy.php

As for your Mail Carrier, next time just have a lb of roasted coffee waiting for her. She'll never recommend your to Charbucks again! :)

She does not drink coffee.... I asked.....

She said I was "odd" getting that "poundage" of green/raw beans....

Well I am odd but not because I like coffee :001_smile

This order was actually my first through Green Coffee Buyers Club. I've been a member for a few months but finally got around to trying some of their offerings. I got a Kenyan Peaberry, Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, and a Columbian for ~$5.50/lb shipped. Pretty good deal if the coffees turn out.

Kenya coffee is pretty nice as is the less expensive Tanzanian. From what I understand they are the same variety (bourbon) that were planted in both areas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourbon_coffee

I have some from a few surrounding regions which are nice too....

Uganda Sipi Falls
Uganda Bugisu
Burundi Kayanza Bwayi
Rwanda Mutovu Cooperative

$20140824_073923.jpgMechanical malfunction! I was at the end of the roast thankfully, but I had to get a pair of tongs to dump the beans.

-jim

Working on some Guat and Costa Rican right now. I hope to get to these this weekend. Soccer season is upon us, so my time may be fleeting over the next 2-3 months. I'll have to sneak a roast in here and there.

Nice, I have some Colombian on order. I will be interested to hear what you think of the Ethiopian Yirgacheffe and Kenya Nyeri.

Two half pound roasts of 2 different Etheopian beans

Ethiopian Harrar natural processed

Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Kochere washed

If the Harrar comes out as nice as it did last time I am in for 50 lb more :yesnod:

Roasted today using the TC4C as a BT/ET monitor and ran the hottop manually.

I have the TC4C hooped up so if I disconnect it from the HTC controller board inside the roaster but leave the 2 probes plugged into it, I can run the external controller (if I feed it 12VDC) and it will read the ET/BT probes so I can manually control the roaster and keep a paper log, which is what I did today.

I did not want to drag out the laptop or the Amprobe meter so I just used the TC4C's digital temp read out display instead.

I DO LIKE the way I have my roaster set up. I can use it one of four ways from super simple out of the box mode all the way to super geek computer interface/control mode and a couple of variations in between with or without a meter.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Two more half pounders today. Took them both to City (dumped at 395º (BT).

I'm liking lighter roast more and more.

Once un-mothball the espresso machine I will be back into darker roasting for that.....

Today's Roast:

Mexican Chiapas

Java Kayumas

could not wait for the Java to degas and made a small 2 cup Chemex. It's a little sharp but should mellow out in a day :yesnod:

Java beans in the pic below

proxy.php

Finally got a chance to roast some of my new greens. I did 2-0.5# batches, first an Ethiopian Yigracheffe that is supposed to explode with blueberries...we'll see how I did bring those out. The second was a Colombian that I wanted to take to Full City +. I got both sets of greens from GCBC so I am very interested on how these turn out.

Here's some eye candy. First the Ethiopian:

...and the Colombian:

Just a quick update on the Ethiopian I roasted a couple days ago...OH MY GOODNESS. After a 48hr rest, I just tasted my first cup and it turned out amazing. It honestly tastes like a strawberry-blueberry smoothie. It tastes like I added heavy cream to the cup and is sweet and silky. I really don't know if I could have done any better on my first try. If you can get your hands on some of this Yirge Adado, do so.

Just a quick update on the Ethiopian I roasted a couple days ago...OH MY GOODNESS. After a 48hr rest, I just tasted my first cup and it turned out amazing. It honestly tastes like a strawberry-blueberry smoothie. It tastes like I added heavy cream to the cup and is sweet and silky. I really don't know if I could have done any better on my first try. If you can get your hands on some of this Yirge Adado, do so.

I was going to order 30# more of the Harrar but before I pulled the trigger they sold out of it.

I heard that the Saudis bought most of this years Harrar crop which is why there is so little of it left for us "little guys"

well I got 6# of it anyway which should be a treat every once in a while.

I think I have 3 or 4 Ethiopian single origins here (25# or more in total) I don't think SWMBO will let me get away with buying more at this time

$brodkavelarg.gif

Ethiopian Yirge - Adado Region , GCBC distribution so I think I got the same stuff. Greens had a potent aroma to them when I opened the bag and did a roast P5 1lb setting for 260g of coffee. Cut it about 2:20 after 1st crack started and pulled a shot less than 12 hrs just because I could not wait. It was a cup full of blueberries, just like I like a good yirgacheffe. Now I just need to force myself to lay off of it for a couple days so it has a bit of time to rest. Stay tuned.

Roasted 2 half pound batches. One Colombian Santa Barbara estate the other Tanzanian peaberry.

Took the Colombia to 405º BT but dumped the Tanzanian at 395º

Put the TC4C-LED in a windshield cell phone holder and stuck it to the side of the cart.

Think it came out pretty nice for thinking outside of the box.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom