What's new

What don't you like about boar brushes?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
This is one of those "Which blades are better?" questions. There is no RIGHT answer and everyone has a different opinion. There will never be a consensus.

If boar is your thing, great - more power to you. If your a badger hair man - that's spiffy, good luck with that.

Use whatever you like that fills the need that existed before you bought the brush.

This is one of those "Which blades are better?" questions. There is no RIGHT answer and everyone has a different opinion. There will never be a consensus.

If boar is your thing, great - more power to you. If your a badger hair man - that's spiffy, good luck with that.

Use whatever you like that fills the need that existed before you bought the brush.

Preach on, Phil. Agree entirely.

Well I love both badger and boar.

I like my semogue 1305 boar better than my C&E pure badger brush but I like my Shavemac badger better than my Semogue 1305 boar.

I do think it is a matter of opinion but Badger has stood the test of time as being the preferred hair to use for high end/expensive brushes.

The one thing i noticed is with badger there are several grades of hair. I don't see that with boar brushes. When I looked at the Omega brushes I have no way of telling if the hair is identical in all their brushes (besides knot size and loft). Are they all the same?

It comes down to personal preference, a good badger brush just works better imo. What I found with boar is that while they may feel scrubby when dry, they can be fairly floppy when wet. They also dont seem to hold water or lather quite as well as badger.

Dont get me wrong, boars can be great brushes. Not everyone wants to spend the money for a good badger brush and honestly, the final result wont vary much whether a person uses badger or boar.

I have to say, a really dense badger knot is better than a boar brush for creating lather. it creates it quicker and easier. The difference is a really dense badger brush will set you back 5 times that of a really good boar brush.

I like them all so have a really dense badger, a badger boar mix, and 2 boar brushes of differing sizes. I have options, and the whole setup cost about the same as some high end badger brushes. I like the tools i have, and like having both.

There is a satisfaction though when creating a really good well worked lather with a boar.

Top Bottom