What's new

What don't you like about boar brushes?

I see a ton of threads about boar vs badger or how members have made the switch to boar and never looked back. I have seen any that I can remember on someone trying boar but not liking it and staying with badger.

So who has purchased a boar, not like it at all or not nearly as much as badger and why.

I have recently started using boar. I am very impressed and glad that I purchased a boar brush BUT I will always prefer badger. I can't explain it but badger just has a more luxurious feel to me. Also I think badgers brushes look alot better when bloomed than boar brushes.

I use both, because the both have their benefits.

If I am in a scrubby mood, I'll go for the boar. If I am feeling like a smooth, spa night, I'll go badger.

I am hoping my two band chubby 1 in super on the way will provide me with the best of both worlds... we'll see.

I only have a VDH, so maybe I should give better boars a try, but I don't like how my VDH sheds, holds little water, and makes a less than perfect lather.

They're great for face lathering soaps.
I like how they scrub up hard soap pucks like MWF.

I don't like how creams kind of "disappear" in them.

Badger for creams, Boar for hard soaps, all good.:smile:

They are too cheap and don't appeal to my snobbish nature.

Actually I like em.:001_tongu

Its funny because if boar brushes were more expensive than badger I probably will like them better.

So far my Semogue has not lost a hair and I can lather with soap and cream very well.

As of today I rank my brushes as follows:
1) Shavemac 20mm D01
2) C&E BBB 21mm
3) Semogue 1305 22mm
4) C&E Super Badger 25mm
5) C&E Pure Badger not around 20-21mm

I see a ton of threads about boar vs badger or how members have made the switch to boar and never looked back. I have seen any that I can remember on someone trying boar but not liking it and staying with badger.

So who has purchased a boar, not like it at all or not nearly as much as badger and why.

I have recently started using boar. I am very impressed and glad that I purchased a boar brush BUT I will always prefer badger. I can't explain it but badger just has a more luxurious feel to me. Also I think badgers brushes look alot better when bloomed than boar brushes.

I started with boar - moved on to badger due to higher absorption ability of water. That does not mean however that the boar brush will give you a less lather-filled soap. In the case of some of my soaps its tactile feedback and thick bristles are what I am in the mood for. And they lather up my face as well as my badger.

Granted, they're both cheap and low-end brands but they get the job done.

This is interesting to a new Boar owner. I used to own Mtichells Wool Fat soap, but gave it up because none of my badgers could handle it. Since i bought a boar, i have been able to use triple milled soaps to great effect.

I did use my Duke 3 in best, and it lathered like a dream. For me, Boar doesnt look as nice, but because of the price i feel i can throw it around the puck and really scrub it without damaging it, whereas i cant do that with my Duke.

At the same price point, it would be badger for me just, but Boar is winning me over slightly.

This is interesting to a new Boar owner. I used to own Mtichells Wool Fat soap, but gave it up because none of my badgers could handle it. Since i bought a boar, i have been able to use triple milled soaps to great effect.

I did use my Duke 3 in best, and it lathered like a dream. For me, Boar doesnt look as nice, but because of the price i feel i can throw it around the puck and really scrub it without damaging it, whereas i cant do that with my Duke.

At the same price point, it would be badger for me just, but Boar is winning me over slightly.

Good point about not worrying about damaging the brush. I tend to enjoy having something that is either cheap and I don't have to worry if it breaks or something that has a lifetime warranty (unlimited).

Wow. That's interesting. See, my view is, if I spent a lot of money on a brush I *should* be able to beat the hell out it. I actually take care of my cheap boars so that I can maybe get a few years out of them before the knot goes flying. I was under the assumption that a high-priced badger would be tough..

fraying, split ends, bristle snapping

I have never had a bristle snap on me, but the fraying and split ends are what I like the most about my boar, the more split ends, the more fraying, the softer it gets, and the more lather it holds. When I first got it, it was like rubbing a scrub brush on my face. Now, it is more like the C&E BBB. In fact, I use a blowdryer on it to increase splitting for that very reason.

My ONLY gripe about boar brushes though is this:
They take FOREVER to dry out. My 22mm silvertip will be dry by the evening, but the boar will stay damp till easily the next morning if not longer.

I bought my first boar brush maybe a month or two back, a Boreal 976:

proxy.php

I am really glad I bought this brush. One thing I like about it is that it is a 18-20 mm knot - most of the other boars are much bigger. It is a beautiful brush and a joy to use with milled soaps - it lathers them up better than any badger I have owned. I am a face latherer on soaps for 99% of my shaves, so it is an apt fit. What don't I like about it? Well, the construction of boar knot is quite a bit different than badger. There is a solid, firm "core" of boar hair in the very middle, and the hairs around the outside are what a most fraying out and splitting. The hairs on the outside are flexible, ones in the middle are not - they are quite stiff and firm. This means they are awesome for lathering up soap, however. The brush easily takes much, much longer to dry than my badgers do. Even when you shake out the water, there is still a ton of moisture in that dense, middle area. Lather can be a bit difficult to rinse out of there as well. But that is really nitpicking. The brush is a phenomenal deal for $20.

Its really simple.

They have been making brushes for a very long time and they have tried all kinds of critters to make them from. In the end Badger has won out because its superior. Boar has always been an inexpensive alternative.

Sure there are guys who prefer it no different than guys who prefer driving a Yugo over a BMW.

Top Bottom