What's new

What do you like about synthetic brushes?

I am asking this question because I got one, and I just don't see the appeal. I want to learn how to appreciate this brush, but it's hard when:

It doesn't want to splay. I have to paint the lather on.

It won't make lather with the tips, when I try the Italian Barber process, which has become my go-to lathering process.

It splatters lather on my mirror.

The brush is a Simpson Duke 3 with Platinum bristles. It should be a good synthetic brush, but I'm having trouble figuring out what's good about it.

I'm not an expert on the subject and I don't own a Simpson brush, but I refuse to let that stop me from weighing in...

I like the fact that the characteristics of a synthetic brush don't change much over time through regular use. And they dry relatively fast compared to natural bristles.

I find it easier to splay a brush if I start with the point of my chin. That's a tip I picked up here in one of the forums.

I'm not familiar with the "Italian Barber process"; what is it? I have had issues of lather splatter. I solved it by using less water and loading a damp (not dripping wet) brush.

These are just my observations and opinions. Good luck with your journey.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. I have one and I feel like its the cartridge razor of shaving brushes. The pros are that it was inexpensive and it absorbs water quickly. Compared to boar and badger, My synthetic leaves me unsatisfied. I miss the scrub of my animals hair brushes when I would use my synthetic.

I am asking this question because I got one, and I just don't see the appeal. I want to learn how to appreciate this brush, but it's hard when:

It doesn't want to splay. I have to paint the lather on.

It won't make lather with the tips, when I try the Italian Barber process, which has become my go-to lathering process.

It splatters lather on my mirror.

The brush is a Simpson Duke 3 with Platinum bristles. It should be a good synthetic brush, but I'm having trouble figuring out what's good about it.
I think Simpson synthetics are the exceptions in synth market. I heard the same complaints regarding the bristles not splaying and having a lot of backbone. Some enjoy this aspect but others do not.

Other synthetic brushes can splay easy and lather with the tips. I suggest you try a more basic synthetic from WCS, Maggard's, or Yaqi and compare them.

Synthetics are my favorite type of bristles because they splay easy, lather consistently, and feel soft on the face.

They produce a great lather in a bowl very quickly. Tips are soft and feel good when painting lather on. Second pass they will splay when pushed and then will really evenly spread a small amount of lather really working it into the skin evenly

I think Simpson synthetics are the exceptions in synth market. I heard the same complaints regarding the bristles not splaying and having a lot of backbone. Some enjoy this aspect but others do not.

Other synthetic brushes can splay easy and lather with the tips. I suggest you try a more basic synthetic from WCS, Maggard's, or Yaqi and compare them.

Synthetics are my favorite type of bristles because they splay easy, lather consistently, and feel soft on the face.
Tacking onto Timeclo's suggestion, I'd like to suggest one that I bought on Timeclo's recommendation: the Oumo motherlode knot. $10 USD plus shipping on Ali Express and it is unbelievably luxuriously dense and soft on the face. It has extremely mild scrub and definitely no scritch or scratch, and it whips up perfect lathers time after time. For my sensitive face, it's the brush I reach for most when shaving in 1-2 day intervals.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Synthetic brushes are awesome and work just as well or better than most natural hair brushes depending on grade of natural hair IMO. It is like a person who has a lot of badger brushes and is in love with the feel or a nice boar brush broke in they might never like synthetic brushes. Synthetic brushes have come a long way in the last 4 or 5 years and my favorite brand at the moment is Yaqi(Yaqi fanboy) and they work well for myself. If you can get a good lather with a natural hair shave brush and not with a synthetic your procedure is kitty bonkers. A good synthetic brush to start with is a 24mm Tuxedo knot synthetic and that is a good starting point.
If you get to big a synthetic knot 26mm> you will find it hard to splay and will not enjoy it for the first time IMO + a 24mm knot is not a lather hog. I have a few 26mm synthetic knots and one of them has a very luxury feel and works well for myself.
I have 3 badger brushes & 2 boar brushes and enjoy them also but the bulk of my brushes are synthetic and just add a few when there are good sales going on.
Rons 21 shave brushes (4).jpg

All these brushes have strengths and weaknesses but you will not know until you try a few IMO.

Last edited:
I’ve tried various synthetics now and have found that I like PAA and AP Shave co synthetic knots. To me, synthetic knots have greater lather release and paint lather on better than any badger I’ve tried (DG, Paladin, Elite, etc). For PAA the solar flare and atomic rocket. These two have good backbone but splay great. They are also set at a bit of a higher loft that provides excellent painting. The AP Shave Co knots I use are a 30mm synbad and cashmere. I set them a bit lower myself so I can get some density similar to a badger while still having superior lather realease / building. Also for me, I can much easier dial in a lather with my captains choice copper bowl using my synthetics. Adding water little at a time rather than a badger that’s retaining a random amount of water. Minuscule variable I know but it really makes a difference for me. I face lathered exclusively for more than a year but when I got my captains choice copper lather bowl, I noticed I got better lathers and could notice more of the scents. Of course this is all for me and your journey could be different. Never tried the Simpson synthetic you mentioned but I just received a T3 so excited to put it through the paces.

They last longer .
They dimensionally and functionally
stable.
They dry fast.
They are mold and fungus resistant.
They use less soap to make a superb lather in no-time .
They have a large variety
of characteristics.
You do not need to sell a kidney to
buy one.
They lack any animal-cruelty.

And they are not a relic of the past .
They represent evolution .

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I do not soak my badger brushes before use as I do not think it is necessary or beneficial, I would however soak a boar brush were I to use one. I have a Simpson Chubby 2 synthetic, albeit an early one lofted at 54mm, and it splays easily especially if I start on the point of my chin. Synthetic brushes do not release water in the same way as a badger brush and it is important for me to start with a barely damp brush and add water very gradually as I build the lather. Otherwise I get lather all over myself and the bathroom. I think synthetic brushes are a nice alternative and it should not be the goal of a synthetic brush to replicate the performance of a natural brush. I travel with a Simpson Classic Best and drying time has never been an issue for me.

Top Bottom