What's new

What do you folks listen to for music?

B

bluefoxicy

I just hit up Amazon for Sonata Arctica: For the Sake of Revenge. Decided to have a listen at some of the tracks on there, pulled up a clip of Full Moon first and... holy #*^%, these people are amazing in concert! There's lots of good songs on this album too.... Too bad Letter to Dana isn't on there, that's a fun song to sing (though so is Kingdom for a Heart... that first line is "what the hell" in case it's too fast for you to hear :rolleyes:).

I have a huge Aerosmith collection, Rise Against, some Dragonforce, Alice Cooper, one Steve Vai album... a tiny bit of Journey... lots and lots of Weird Al.... Iron Maiden... some Tool.... a tiny bit of No Doubt...

I love heavy metal and rock and the like, but I also love clean things. Sonata Arctica is interesting to me because the vocalist has a very crisp, controlled voice; the guitars come across well-defined despite the massive amount of metal-ness; and the songs just sound... well done... extremely well done. Anyone who can appreciate classical music should be able to appreciate this on both a technical and aesthetic level, it's done that well. I really wish I could find more bands like that.

What do YOU listen to?

My favorite band is Oasis, i saw them in concert and i have all their albums.
I'm sure that when i will be 60 i would still listen to their music.

I listen to a little bit of everything. It really depends on my mood. I've been on a rock theme here lately. Been listening to a lot of creed and nickelback, but I like a lot of stuff. Yes, oasis is good.

I listen to all sorts of music, but since I'm a cellist and a tin whistle player, my top two are obviously classical and celtic. That doesn't mean though that I'm above steppin' to some R & B, or winding down with some Miles Davis or Charles Mingus. I've found that every style has something to offer to the listener and I like to think that my musical philosophy as a professional/student musician (I'm in school for music education right now) is to incorporate (steal) as much as I can from all styles of music I come into contact with.

My absolute favorites are Paul Westerberg/The Replacements and Matt Nathanson. You owe it to yourself to find one of his live shows (it is not hard). He puts on a really fun show.

I enjoy several styles of music. I like country, rock, classical, some jazz, some old school rap, 80's, 90's, "Weird Al" Yankovic, the list goes on. :)

I listen to a lot of different stuff:

indie hip hop
indie rock
brit pop (yes, the name is dumb but meh)
post rock
deep funk
soundtracks
downtempo/leftfield/electronic
j-pop
jazz

Eclectic mix for me:

Acoustic Guitar, The Police, William Orbit, Sting, Dave Matthews Band, Al Di Meola, The Beach Boys, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Boston, Goldfrapp, Michael Hedges, Rodrigo Y Gabriela, Rolling Stones, Shania Twain, Talking Heads, Tori Amos, U2, The B-52's, Beck, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Chieftains, Prokofiev, Depeche Mode, Diana Krall, The Eagles, Ella Fitzgerald, Eric Clapton, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Fleetwood Mac, Garbage, Heart, Herb Alpert, Jethro Tull, KD Lang, Lenny Kravitz, Mussorgsky, Paul Simon, Peter Gabriel, The Pretenders, Stravinsky, Sheryl Crow, The White Stripes, Zz Top, Rough Guides, etc...

Here's a sampling:

Classical
Stravinsky
Ravel
Mahler
Hindemeth

Jazz
Miles
Coltrane
Freddie Hubbard
Herbie Hancock

Pop Rock
Beatles
Todd Rundgren
Beach Boys
Freedy Johnston
Marshall Crenshaw
Chicago (The early stuff)

Exotica/Bachelor Pad/Space Age Pop
Les Baxter
Martin Denny
Enoch Light
Lenny Dee
The Three Suns

Eclectic mix for me:

Acoustic Guitar, The Police, William Orbit, Sting, Dave Matthews Band, Al Di Meola, The Beach Boys, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Boston, Goldfrapp, Michael Hedges, Rodrigo Y Gabriela, Rolling Stones, Shania Twain, Talking Heads, Tori Amos, U2, The B-52's, Beck, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Chieftains, Prokofiev, Depeche Mode, Diana Krall, The Eagles, Ella Fitzgerald, Eric Clapton, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Fleetwood Mac, Garbage, Heart, Herb Alpert, Jethro Tull, KD Lang, Lenny Kravitz, Mussorgsky, Paul Simon, Peter Gabriel, The Pretenders, Stravinsky, Sheryl Crow, The White Stripes, Zz Top, Rough Guides, etc...
Lots of good stuff in that list. I would much rather have music than TV.

Soooo much.
Current favorite album: For Emma, Forever Ago by Bon Iver.
All-time favorite album: The Wall by Pink Floyd.
Current favorite band: The Dodos.
All-time favorite band: Neutral Milk Hotel.

Here's a concentrated favorite arists list:

Aretha Franklin
Bon Iver
The Cure
The Dodos
Frank Sinatra
Incubus
Johnny Cash
Leslie Hall
Neutral Milk Hotel
Pink Floyd
Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Smiths
The White Stripes

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Good old fashioned bluegrass is at the top of my listening list. Sometimes newgrass, but almost never country.

Good old fashioned bluegrass is at the top of my listening list. Sometimes newgrass, but almost never country.

Bluegrass tyou say? You would get along great with my dad. I will admit that I like the music now and then, but my dad grew up with the real thing...the older generation of bluegrass...and it is depressing. LOL :) If my dad used a computer and was online you might have a great chat about bluegrass, but he will not touch a computer. I do own some Ricky Skaggs, Fatt & Scrugs, and Bill Monroe to name a few but I rarely listen to it...you know a song now and then. :)

Top Bottom