What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Bright sun today. Almost feels like the weather's thinking about summer.

C V Heljestrand No.24 4/8 French point straight razor
Nom Theo wood handle boar brush
D R Harris Marlborough shave stick
1980s Imperial Leather "Classic" aftershave

The Heljestrand might be due a quick run over the stones, but I gave it a go on the seatbelt webbing / Silverline white strop after the shave and before the leather. It seems to be cutting nicely now, so it could be a "wait and see".

Screenshot from 2024-05-19 08-33-05.png

Good smell from D R Harris and fine work from the brush, though I'm still surprised how easy rubbing a shave stick on the face makes generating a substantial lather. An Eighties classic from the eighties called Classic for the aftershave.

Let's say a "9".

GRUME 19 May 2024

Bobby B’s Daily Shave Report

1716115716457.jpeg

TODAY’ SHAVE AND CLEANUP:

Water
Razor(s)
Shaving Blade
Buffing Blade
Prep
Soap
Brushes
Rain (small
container)
Prep Cold Shave Hot​
KCG Shaving
VDH Buffing & tight spots​
Bic Chrome
#57 of 100
Shave #
King C. Gillette
7 of 10
Cube 2.0 Menthol
Left Timeless Blue Bowl​
Noble Otter Lonestar
Right
Timeless Blue Bowl​

Noble Otter​
1 Prep
2 Lathering

Passes
Quality
Rating
Nicks
Weepers
Stubble
2​
BBS​
10.0​
0​
0​
Very Light​

Comments: A very nice break-in shave with a fresh corked blade #57. I only needed minimal buffing for a smooth face feel.

Cleanup:
  • Rinsed & dried face
  • Witch Hazel Dickinsons f/b buffing
  • A/S Aqua Musk f/b buffing
  • Omega Alum stick
  • Deodorant: Mennen Speed Stick

A SOD.jpg

Pre-Shave
Face wash with Cera Ve Face Soap
Soap/Cream
Haslinger Sandelholz Rasierseife Beruhigend (tallow formula)
Brush
Maggards 28mm Synthetic
Bowl
Captains Choice Copper
Razor
Henson AL13++
Blade
Feather
Aftershave
Thayers WH & TOBS ASB
Fragrance
Jimmy Choo, Man Intense.
Rating
10/10
Comments
This was the second consecutive shave with my Henson AL I3 ++ and Feather blade. The shave was close and smooth. It seems that Feather blades work well in milder razors. Today I used a large synthetic brush: Maggards 28mm. This is a very soft and large brush. Because of its size, it makes plenty of lather. Unlike some of the smaller synthetic brushes, this one easily loads soap. The Haslinger tallow soap made excellent lather. This was the 21st consecutive day I used the soap. The shave was perfect. Have a wonderful day and week, folks.

Score: 10/10

Fatip Piccolo
Lord Super Chrome (8th use)
Riva 26mm horsetail
Proraso Green

This blade & razor combo is really excellent and the unique horse hair brush continues to impress. A fantastic shave finished off with a healthy glug of Proraso Green for the sensation and a little bit of Proraso Red for the scent 🙂

IMG_20240514_091136955.jpg

Preshave: Hot shower
Soap/Shave cream: Stirling Soap Ozark Mountain
Brush: Perfecto Badger
Razor: 1953 Gillette Super Speed
Blade: Gillette Perma-Sharp (1)
Post shave: Gillette Gel
Rating: 9.5/10

Another wonderful Sunday morning shave with one of my vintage Gillettes, this one from my birth year and birth quarter, although I did nick myself ever-so-slightly. The butterfly had opened a bit which is probably my fault. I evidently didn't tighten it quite enough.
Other than that, a nice shave. The Ozark Mountain scent has become a favorite for me. I have no idea what mountains in the Ozarks smell like, but if they smell like this, count me in for a vacation there sometime. :smile1:

proxy.php

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Baker Street Liquid Bath Soap, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Stainless Steel Karve Overlander with Argyle Handle
Blade: Gillette Nacet (3)
Soap/Cream: Barrister & Mann Cool
Bowl: The CaYuen Workshop Medium Damascus Textured Wet Shaving Lathering Bowl
Brush: AP Shave Co Briar Handle 26mm Cashmere Knot
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Unscented Post Shave Balm & Seaforth's Black Watch AS
Rating: 9.5/10 A comfortable efficient 3 pass BBS shave with no touch ups, five weepers, no cuts or irritation. Not sure what I did wrong creating the weepers, but all cured quickly with an Alum Stick. A nice shave in spite of the weepers.

Razor: Rigarazor
Hone: Coticule
Brush: Omega 11137 Ash Wood Boar
Cream: Cyril R. Salter Sublime Citrus
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer

Great lather with my 11137 and CRS. I hadn’t used this brush in a bit and I have no idea why. Actually like most of us…because I need to add an addition to my home for a brush room.

The Rigarazor just swept away the shaving cream and whiskers. I could probably have stopped after the first pass, but I did an ATG clean up to enjoy the face lathering, shaving cream, and the feel of the steel.

A splash of Skin Bracer to seal the deal.

Nice shave…9.7/10.

IMG_2905.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Sunday SE shave, May 19th 2024

Razor : Yaqi Excalibur SE 50mm AC type with a Yaqi Milano 316 SSP handle. Mfg 2021>, tame mid range. Simple blade clamping system that works well + small head parts that make it nimble to wield on the beard area. Had a close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Schick proline(4) sharp and smooth with reasonable longevity for a AC blade.
Soap : Razorock XXX, nice unique scent that usually puts a smile on my face + excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Ever helpful" 22 mm 2band badger. Excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, firm nice splay scrubber + great lather painter. If a person likes a nice scrub this brush is worth taking a look at IMO, Yaqi shortened the loft + has dense knot.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock XXX splash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 10.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi Excalibur SE with a Schick proline blade.(forgot to sure the proline box)
SOTD May 19 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Sunday Morning Shave Salutations

Rating: 9.6/10 Completely Acceptable

Great shave using the Century No. 3 Brush and Le Pere Lucien. The Durham Duplex Razor
although technically a DE, given the head and handle geometry, it can only be used as a
Single Edge. I tried to use the other side and it was like shaving backwards and upside down.

Durham Duplex Razor
Personna Lab Specimen Blade (1X)
Le Pere Lucien Cologne-Fougere Soap
Vintage Century No. 3 Boar Brush
Citrus Musk Splash On

BRUT Aftershave

D9C2507E-3742-4647-A457-88FFBBBFBE9F-compressed.jpeg

Top Bottom