What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

[Image: JPXbVnV.png]

Green Door – HSSC
Holland Glen – Talbot
Horse – Semogue
Irisch Moos – SIR
Novodur 12 – Filarmonica

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thursday 20240516
Razor: Tatara Nodachi SB (TiBam Antique Ti Handle)
Blade: Kai (1 shave, 2 passes)

Friday 20240517
Razor: Tatara Nodachi SB (TiBam Antique Ti Handle)
Blade: Kai (2 shaves, 4 passes)
20240517_105145~2.jpg

Brush: Wald A1 Nimbus Bloodline Synthetic Fan
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Tallow + Steel Hokkaido
Aftershave: Clubman Pinaud Lilac Vegetal

Really enjoyed my Thursday and Friday shaves with the Tatara Nodachi SB, Kai blade combination. Nimble & Maneuverable with good control.

Same Supporting Cast. Outstanding!

Superb shaves!

SOTD: 05/17/2024

Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: Personna GEM Ptfe (10)
Brush: Rudy Vey Muehle STF
Preshave: Hot Water Splash
Soap: Catie’s Bubbles Blugère Croap
Aftershave: Catie’s Bubbles Blugère Aftershave
Fragrance: Mancera Wild Leather EdP

I think I might be a Catie’s Bubbles fan boy. I’m ok with that. Great shave 10th use of the Gem blade, I don’t see it giving up the ghost any time soon. If anything this shave was the smoothest yet when it comes to blade feel. Also second time using the Rudy Vey group buy brush. I love the feel of it in my hand.

10/10

1D5DF7E1-B044-4FD8-AC56-5244E61DAD05.jpeg

Eye-opening experience tonight.

Pre: Stirling Unscented Pre-Shave Soap Bar
Razor: RazoRock GC 1.05-P with Ti Halo Handle
Blade: Personna Israeli Red (2)
Soap: Canada Shaving Soap
Brush: PAA Amber Aerolite 24mm Stygian Knot
Bowl: Timeless
Post-Shave: Speick AS and Cella Balm

Dang y'all. After goofing around with mild and medium-aggressive razors for the past four years, I now fully understand that larger blade gaps and increased exposure are my thing. Smoothest 2-pass shave I've ever had, and zero irritation. Love it. I foresee a thorough den-cleaning post with some delightful hardware on BST soon.

GC 1.05-P 5.17.24.jpg

Sat 18
Soap Tabac Stick
Brush Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia
Razor Gillette New SC
Blade Gillette London Bridge
Aftershave Yaqi PinaColada Chillers
A truly magnificent lather from this soap. Rich creamy and very slick...
The razor and blade combination provided an effortlessly smooth and efficient shave...Rating 9.8
20240518_103851.jpg

1000005894.jpg

Another lazy shave with Cremo cream over hot water splash. Lazy because Cremo provides excellent lubrication with virtually no effort.

Rex Konsul razor on 2 wasn't the most comfortable, but the end result was good. It will be better when I don't have irritated skin from the previous day.

Astra SP India (4) blade is still showing almost no dulling. I am confused how the measured sharpness is still in the same range as it was after the first shave. Is it the slant reducing wear, or perhaps the Cremo used a few times? Is the blade just amazingly consistent? Probably all of these to an extent. I will keep using this blade until measurements show some more significant dulling. Hopefully it doesn't take too long because I have a lot of blades to test.

Alum over the cuts, then Cremo cooling balm, which is nice for a rougher shave with some irritation.

Cremo bergamot and musk is a nice fruity fragrance to go with the sweet Palo Santo cream.

4/10 Low score because the shave was uncomfortable after messing up my skin last night. I had some weepers and a good nic, too. However, my skin is much happier than it was 24 hours ago and my face is much smoother. The experience was bad but the results, good.

Preshave: Glycerine Facewash with warm water splashes
Razor : Feather AS_D2
Blade : Polsilver Super Iridium (D4)
Brush : Semogue SOC 2-Band Badger
Soap : Cella Crema da Barba Red Tub
Aftershave : Alum Block + Cold water splashes + FA Speedster AS Lotion

Close and comfortable BBS in 3 passes !! :pipe:

Rating : 9.45/10

Feather_AS_D2.jpgPolsilver.pngcella.jpgSOC_TwoBand1.jpgFa_AS.jpg

Generic shavette
Rockwell ½blade (2)
Arko shave stick
badger brush
Lustray Coachman a/s
Nivea Sensitive balm

Found the other half of Rockwell blade in the drawer. Rockwell is bottom tier blade. Cheapskate in me does not allow to throw them in bin. I usually get 6 shaves from them (a very low count for me!). Not this time.
Head and face shave. Binned the blade. Shave was OK but no comfort.
DFS-
6/10

1716010575872_1.jpg

Date18.05.2024
366 daily shaves
139/366

RazorBladeBrush
Razorock Game Changer .84P SBGillette Minora (5)Abe’s Brush Works Smokey Bandit
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Hampshire Wool Fat (5)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
7/10 (Nicked myself)4/10 (Sharp Edge)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8/10
(DFS+)
8/10 (Smooth)

For extended notes click here

Enjoy your shave everyone!

Another bright Saturday morning.

Yaqi Knight Helmet + Dorco Titan blade
Semogue Torga C5 Mistura brush
Wickhams Russian Leather soap
Arko "Gold Power" aftershave

A razor I'd definitely call "aggressive". If an R41 is a former military officer sipping scotch and water in the corner, the Knight Helmet is just in the pub to get lagered and start something. The trick is not to show fear when it flashes its toothy grin at you.

Screenshot from 2024-05-18 08-42-06.png

That said, it gives a very close shave and I like the shavette-level blade feel. Arko aftershave from its plastic bottle seemed a good companion and the Gold Power smell is growing on me - it somehow seems more Eighties than the aftershaves I have that were made in the Eighties.

Very smooth and very close. I'll knock it down to a "9" just so the razor doesn't think it's got me scared.

Razor: Claus
Hone: Coticule
Brush: Zenith “Uno” Boar
Soap: Martin de Candre Argumes
Aftershave: Stirling Piacenza

Great face lather with my Zenith & MDC. Love the scent of Argumes, it’s perfect for Spring & Summer.

First use of my Claus razor and it was superb. More info in What did you hone thread, but I’m wicked happy right now.

Argumes and Piacenza work well together with my body chemistry. Perfect pairing.

Great Brush and Soap for face lathering as the Argumes scent filled the air. Best Coticule edge I’ve ever made on nice American Steel and a great shave result.

I got a wee bit excited with my new razor and edge and gave myself one weeper, so I’ll deduct a half point from a great shave. 9.5/10.
IMG_2871.jpeg

Another bright Saturday morning.

Yaqi Knight Helmet + Dorco Titan blade
Semogue Torga C5 Mistura brush
Wickhams Russian Leather soap
Arko "Gold Power" aftershave

A razor I'd definitely call "aggressive". If an R41 is a former military officer sipping scotch and water in the corner, the Knight Helmet is just in the pub to get lagered and start something. The trick is not to show fear when it flashes its toothy grin at you.

View attachment 1848114

That said, it gives a very close shave and I like the shavette-level blade feel. Arko aftershave from its plastic bottle seemed a good companion and the Gold Power smell is growing on me - it somehow seems more Eighties than the aftershaves I have that were made in the Eighties.

Very smooth and very close. I'll knock it down to a "9" just so the razor doesn't think it's got me scared.
I love your description/comparison of the R41 and Knight Helmet! Sounds like they’d be fun to hand out with.

Good call on the score, let “the big guy” feel like he won. It’s like playing Space Chess with Chewbacca!

View attachment 1848043

Another lazy shave with Cremo cream over hot water splash. Lazy because Cremo provides excellent lubrication with virtually no effort.

Rex Konsul razor on 2 wasn't the most comfortable, but the end result was good. It will be better when I don't have irritated skin from the previous day.

Astra SP India (4) blade is still showing almost no dulling. I am confused how the measured sharpness is still in the same range as it was after the first shave. Is it the slant reducing wear, or perhaps the Cremo used a few times? Is the blade just amazingly consistent? Probably all of these to an extent. I will keep using this blade until measurements show some more significant dulling. Hopefully it doesn't take too long because I have a lot of blades to test.

Alum over the cuts, then Cremo cooling balm, which is nice for a rougher shave with some irritation.

Cremo bergamot and musk is a nice fruity fragrance to go with the sweet Palo Santo cream.

4/10 Low score because the shave was uncomfortable after messing up my skin last night. I had some weepers and a good nic, too. However, my skin is much happier than it was 24 hours ago and my face is much smoother. The experience was bad but the results, good.
Get healed up. I think you might really like that combo when your face is feeling better.

GRUME 18 May 2024

Bobby B’s Daily Shave Report

1716030006468.jpeg

TODAY’ SHAVE AND CLEANUP:

Water
Razor(s)
Shaving Blade
Buffing Blade
Prep
Soap
Brushes
Rain (small
container)
Prep Cold Shave Hot​
KCG Shaving
VDH Buffing & tight spots​
Bic Chrome
#56 of 100
Shave #

And out​
King C. Gillette
7 of 10
Cube 2.0 Menthol
Left Timeless Blue Bowl​
Noble Otter Lonestar
Right
Timeless Blue Bowl​

Noble Otter​
1 Prep
2 Lathering

Passes
Quality
Rating
Nicks
Weepers
Stubble
2​
CAS​
7.5​
0​
0​
Heavy​

Comments: A tired #56 did its best this morning. An acceptable shave, but I needed lots of buffing with the VDH for moderate smooth face feel. Oops, had the wrong date on yesterday's post.

Cleanup:
  • Rinsed & dried face
  • Witch Hazel Dickinsons f/b buffing
  • A/S Aqua Musk f/b buffing
  • Omega Alum stick
  • Deodorant: Mennen Speed Stick

Top Bottom