What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Thursday, May 16, 2024

Hardware
RazorEdwin Jagger DE89
BladeTreet Platinum (2 / 10) [4]
BrushRudy Vey B&B 2024 (Semogue Mistura)

Software
Pre-
LatherStirling Unscented with Beeswax (Sample) [4]
PostClubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Rating
9 / 10

Notes
A good run so far this week. The DE89 doesn't provide the closest shave, but it's comfortable and reliable and it gives a better feel for a blade than some of my other razors. A very nice default.

Bohemia
Rubie (25)
Blue's Goat Milk soap
synthetic brush
Lustray Bay Rum
Nivea Sensitive balm

Stellar two pass head shave. BBS
10/10
DSCF6126_1.JPG

May 16, 2024 Thursday shave

Razor: The Razor Company, aluminum (AKA Simple Clean Shave)
Blade: Suneko Amorphous Diamond Super Stainless (2)
Soap: Noble Otter The Noir et Vanille
Bowl: Captain's Choice Heavyweight copper
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Silvertip badger
Post shave: Osma alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Captain's Choice Nor'easter

Using the TRC razor is like giving my face a day off shaving. Easy shaves with not even a hint of facial trauma or irritation. Not the closest shave, but very good.

9.75/10

Enjoy your day!

SOTD 05_16_24.jpg

View attachment 1847326
Razor: Merkur Progress 500
Blade: Pol Silver Super Iridium
Brush: Simpson Captain 2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Pre-Shave Cream
Lather: Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Nivea Post Shave Balm
Ten
What is that second razor in your photo? Is that a Hoffritz eyebrow/moustache trimmer? And if so, where do you get blades for it?

Aylsworth Apex SS with Perma-Sharp (1)
Chisel and Hound "Martian Ice" v23 Fanchurian Knot
Barrister and Mann Fougere Angelique (sample)
Lustray Blue Spice After Shave
Nivea Sensitive Balm

A little bit of drag, regardless of the soap. The weight is alright, but I definitely prefer titanium and a scalloped bar or open comb. Still, a good shave with no cuts, nicks or weepers. An updated Apex in titanium would push it past the Drakkant Ti for sure. Today's shave receives a score of 9.75/10
20240516_125501.jpg

Thursday Morning Shave-

IMG_0229.jpeg

Pre-Shave: Hot Towel, Proraso Red

Badger: RV Shaving AS3M Briar Resin w/Shavemac 3 Band
Blade: Astra SP

Razor: GC 84p
Soap: Proraso Red
After-Shave: Cold Water Splash, GFT Alum, Proraso Red Splash

Rating: 9.5/10

Notes: BBS. Another great shave. Today’s car is Little Al’s 1992 Indy winner. Enjoy folks!

10 in Days to Indy

THE IMPORTANCE OF MUSIC
Prep: Shower and face wash with Dove bar.
Razor: Yaqi Mellon zamak
Handle: Maggard MR11
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow, #2
Cream: Proraso Red tub - sandalwood and shea butter
Bowl: none - face lather
Brush: Yaqi England 20mm synthetic
Post shave:
Thorough rinse with warm water
Rinse with ice cold tap water
Tabac Aftershave
Natio calming aftershave balm
Score: 7 / 10 but only because of BBS finish.
Summary:
A rough, albeit BBS, shave today. I rushed it! The music was irritating me, and instead of changing the playlist, I gritted it out. Rap really is a 4 letter word that starts with a silent C. It made me hasty. The old truism 'slow is smooth, and smooth is fast' really came into play as I scratched away, really wishing for the shave, or rather, the music to be over.
The Tabac was punishing, especially on the neck.
Post shave is okay, but I can feel the rash on my neck.
20240517_082440.jpg

Razor: Blackland DNA plate #3
Blade: Personna Med Prep
Brush: Dubl Duck
Soap and Splash: Stirling Gin and Tonic

I bought this bottle of Gin right before I ended up in the hospital with heart failure back in March of 2024. Never got to open it. Got my pacemaker / ICD in September 2024. I’m gonna crack it open for the 1 year anniversary of getting the implant. Until then it’s Stirling Gin & Tonic.

First shave with the DNA w/ level 3 plate. It’s on the mild side but it did the job. Gonna be on the look out for some more plates. The Stirling soap really does smell like a nice tall glass of gin with a splash of tonic and lots of lime juice. No issues with the lather even though I was using the Dubl Duck with the 22mm boar and had to do some extra work to make it happen. All in all great shave.

10/10

C437C03F-A193-47BD-878D-D61AB2FBDA09.jpeg

Razor: Blackland DNA plate #3
Blade: Personna Med Prep
Brush: Dubl Duck
Soap and Splash: Stirling Gin and Tonic

I bought this bottle of Gin right before I ended up in the hospital with heart failure back in March of 2024. Never got to open it. Got my pacemaker / ICD in September 2024. I’m gonna crack it open for the 1 year anniversary of getting the implant. Until then it’s Stirling Gin & Tonic.

First shave with the DNA w/ level 3 plate. It’s on the mild side but it did the job. Gonna be on the look out for some more plates. The Stirling soap really does smell like a nice tall glass of gin with a splash of tonic and lots of lime juice. No issues with the lather even though I was using the Dubl Duck with the 22mm boar and had to do some extra work to make it happen. All in all great shave.

10/10

View attachment 1847417
That razor looks a bit like an Blackland Era.

Another amazing shave with the Timeless Ti .95SB

Pre: Stirling Unscented Pre-Shave Soap Bar
Razor: Timeless Ti .95SB with Crown Handle
Blade: 7 O'Clock Yellow SharpEdge (1)
Soap: Cella Bio
Brush: RazoRock Hive Mokasoft 24mm
Bowl: Timeless
Post-Shave: Speick AS and Stirling Balm

This was my first time using a 7 OC Yellow with the Timeless .95SB, and in many ways it was the best Timeless experience to date. Not as close or efficient as a Nacet or Personna Israeli Red, but noticeably more comfortable. It was the first shave with the .95SB where I had zero feedback from the alum block. And yet ... I think I might prefer less comfort and more efficiency! I am very curious about how a shave with a Ti Slim baseplate might differ from the .95SB.

Ti 95SB 5.16.24.jpg

Fri 17
Soap & Aftershave Yaqi Hypnotic Blue
Brush Spiffo Manchurian Badger
Razor & Blade Gillette Fatboy F4 & Gillette Platinum
The lather was creamy & slick smelling very nice. An excellent soap/splash & soft brush combination!
Enjoyed a satisfactory shave with this razor paired with the blade at max. setting...Rating 9.5
20240517_091903.jpg

1000005885.jpg

I shaved in a hot bath with a mirror on a shelf I just made to go over the tub.

Pre cream: Cremo cream

Cream: Barbasol

Razor: Rex Konsul 5.5 going down, then 2, with a loose blade, going across and ATG.

Blade: Astra SP (3) India. This blade remains nearly as sharp as after the first and second shaves, according to my cutting force measurements. 34-35g to cut 0.15mm nylon monofilament.

Dont be like me. Make sure the blade is still tight if you adjust your blade setting between passes.

Proraso alum, cold water

Fine barber blue splash

Cremo no. 9 Bergamot and Musk EDT (not shown).

Tunes: Take 5

2/10

Top Bottom