What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

1000005835.jpg

Great shave today. 8/10. A couple nicks, a little neck irritation, but amazingly smooth.

Razor: New Rex Konsul XL (1). I like this way more than the Sentry because it is a two piece, versus three. It is really hard to bend the blade down onto the short recessed pins and assemble the other pieces to the Sentry. The Konsul is way better. I haven't decided if I prefer the long handle, but the shave was way better, so maybe. Beautifully made piece as well.

Blade: Astra SP India (1). One of my favorite blades. Started with 29.8 grams cutting force on 6 pound test monofilament, and ended the shave at 34.3 grams, dulling more quickly than expected. Not sure if that is me or the blade.

Soap: New Barrister and Mann Seville. My technique is improving, but I can't deny this was the best lather I have ever made. I can really smell the tallow, but that isn't necessarily bad. I cheated by putting some Cremo on first as a pre shave.

Splash: New Brute glass bottle Italian made French market splash from TRC. Much nicer than I expected. Comes out of the top fast.

Alum: proraso, for the nicks.

Bowl: Liveben. My favorite bowl. I don't like ceramic because I am.not gentle enough for it, and it is a good design with low heat capacity and fairly low thermal conductivity.

Towel from TRC. Actually these are my nicest bathroom towels. Luxurious thickness and not too soft like the mercurized cotton ones.

Brush: Yaqi Special Offer Defect 26. Not enough backbone, but the handle is nice, and what can you ask of a $6.79 brush? I had used it for traveling recently and noticed it hadn't totally dried, so I figured a shave would clean it a bit before putting it up for a while to thoroughly dry.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Monday 20240513
Razor: Colonial Razors The General V2 (Timeless Crown TRH8 Ti Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline P (13 shaves, 26 passes)

Tuesday 20240514
Razor: Colonial Razors The General V2 (Timeless Crown TRH8 Ti Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline P (14 shaves, 28 passes)
20240511_141133~2.jpg

Brush: Wald A1 Nimbus Bloodline Synthetic Fan
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Tallow + Steel Hokkaido
Aftershave: Clubman Pinaud Lilac Vegetal

Same kit since Saturday. Consistent Top Tier performance and results with every shave!

Superb shaves!

Stirling Unscented Pre-Shave Soap Bar
Razor: Timeless Ti .68SB with Crown Handle
Blade: Kai (2)
Soap: Cella Bio
Brush: RazoRock Hive Mokasoft 24mm
Bowl: Timeless
Post-Shave: Cella Bio Balm

Excellent evening shave, 9.5/10. The Kai paired with the .68SB is superb, but just a bit less efficient than the .95SB with one of my go-to Russian blades. (Also, looking at this photo, I am now realizing that I need to clean the grooves of my hive brush handle before posting any additional pics - poor guy!)

Ti 68SB 5.14.24.jpg

Preshave: Glycerine Facewash with warm water splashes
Razor : Feather Artist Club DX Folding :straight:
Blade : Feather Super Professional (D15)
Brush : Custom Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip Badger
Soap : Santa Maria del Fiore
Aftershave : Alum Block + Cold water splashes + Skin Bracer AS Lotion

Close and comfortable BBS in 3 passes !! :pipe:

Rating : 9.90/10

feather-artist-club-dxBW.jpgfeather_pro_super11BW.jpg
shavemac2-bandbw1.jpgSanta_Maria_del_Fiore_1.pngSkinBracer.jpg

Date15.05.2024
366 daily shaves
136/366

RazorBladeBrush
Blackland Blackbird SSGillette Minora (2)Razorock Big Bruce
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Hampshire Wool Fat (2)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9.75/10 (Almost clean)5/10 (Sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
9/10
(BBS)
7.5/10 (Comfortable)

Notes:

Summary. Another effective and wonderful shave. All players working in unison with each other.

For extended shave notes click here.

Razor and blade. Second run with the Minora. Good blade although I had the impression that the pairing with the Blackbird made it feel a little harsher. Still comfortable but not smooth.

Enjoy your shave!

Razor: Rigarazor
Hone: White Tam O’ Shanter
Brush: Paladin El Dorado
Shaving cream: Wm. Neumann Lime & Mint Rum
Aftershave: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man With menthol

I love face lathering with this Paladin. It’s very softer tipped but its density provides backbone. Makes awesome lathers and feels amazing.

First time using the Lime & Mint Rum and I like it. Its subtle scent is excellent and performance was the typical for Wm. Neumann shaving cream = great.

My usual two pass (WTG/ATG) shave for an easy DFS+ result. The Rigarazor/Tam combo is silky smooth.

An excellent shave with no issues or irritation. I used a great brush and razor and enjoyed every second of my shave. 10/10.
IMG_2794.jpeg

GRUME 15 May 2024

Bobby B’s Daily Shave Report

1715771246359.jpeg

TODAY’ SHAVE AND CLEANUP:

Water
Razor(s)
Shaving Blade
Buffing Blade
Prep
Soap
Brushes
Rain (small
container)
Prep Cold Shave Hot​
KCG Shaving
VDH Buffing & tight spots​
Bic Chrome
#56 of 100
Shave #
King C. Gillette
7 of 10
Cube 2.0 Menthol
Left Timeless Blue Bowl​
Noble Otter Lonestar
Right
Timeless Blue Bowl​

Noble Otter​
1 Prep
2 Lathering

Passes
Quality
Rating
Nicks
Weepers
Stubble
2​
DFS+​
9.5​
0​
1​
Light​

Comments: A good shave, would have been BBS if a slippery handle hadn’t cause a weeper.

Cleanup:
  • Rinsed & dried face
  • Witch Hazel Dickinsons f/b buffing
  • A/S Aqua Musk f/b buffing
  • Omega Alum stick
  • Deodorant: Mennen Speed Stick

A SOD.jpg

Pre-Shave
Face wash with Cera Ve Face Soap
Soap/Cream
Haslinger Sandelholz Rasierseife Beruhigend (tallow formula)
Brush
2023 B&B Contributors’ Brush by Paladin
Bowl
Captains Choice Copper
Razor
Merkur 37C
Blade
Wizamet
Aftershave
Thayers WH & Duke Cannon ASB
Fragrance
Jimmy Choo, Man Intense
Rating
10/10
Comments
This is the second shave with my Merkur 37c loaded with a Wizamet blade. I am down to my last few Wizamet blades. Fortunately, I have some old stock PolSilver Super Iridium blades. The Merkur–Wizamet combination delivered a close and smooth shave. Today’s brush is the 2023 Contributors’ brush by Paladin. The brush, like all Paladin brushes, loaded soap easily and made excellent lather with the Haslinger soap. This was the 16th day I used the soap. The shave was perfect. Have a wonderful day, folks.

Wednesday Morning Whisker Whittle

Rating: 9.8/10 Excellent

Fairly quick shave with some Proraso Cream and a fantastic Frank Shaving G5 brush.
Fifth use on the Gillette banded blade and it's holding up well.

Gillette Techmatic Razor
Banded Blade (5X)
Proraso Red Shave Cream
Frank Shaving G5 Brush
Aqua Velva Musk Splash

Proraso Red Aftershave

10FF0C13-3A11-4097-8E04-ECFE7D8EB385-compressed.jpeg

Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Hardware
RazorEdwin Jagger DE89
BladeTreet Platinum (2 / 10) [3]
Brush2024 Rudy Vey B&B (Semogue Mistura)

Software
Pre-
LatherStirling Unscented with Beeswax (Sample) [3]
PostClubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Rating
9 / 10

Notes
The RV / Semogue is my first mistura knot. Good enough, on the first shave, though it'll require some time to come into its own, I'm sure. The Persian Jar handle is fantastic. The Treet Platinum and Stirling Unscented Beeswax continue to deliver easy, excellent results.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Wednesday, May 15th 2024

Razor : Razorock 2nd Generation Lupo.72 . Introduced Jan 2021, mid range. Excellent machining and finish QC with a unique head design for working under the nose with no blade tab overhang. One of my favorite DE modern razors that checks all the boxes for shaving needs. Had a close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : GSB (4) sharp and smoooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap : Yaqi Musketeer Rapier, nice unique scented soap(Similar to Aramis classic is my understanding!?) with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Bali" 24mm 3band silvertip badger. Excellent lather generator, luxury pillow like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + great lather painter. Similar to a Cubby bush with a nice bloom that buts a smile on my face.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Yaqi Musketeer Rapier splash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 10.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my RR Lupo.72 with a GSB blade.
SOTD May 15 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom