What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

20240410_073836.jpg

Razor: Gillette Executive Fatboy (D3) (S5)
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (1st)
Brush: DS Cosmetics synthetic
Pre: Cremo Bourbon & Vanilla
Soap: Ogallala Bay Rum &Vanilla
After: Ogallala Bay Rum & Vanilla
Shave Supervisor: Rosey
Rating: 9.5/10
Notes: Today's shave was more of a clean up shave from yesterday's from the Gillette New Deluxe. Shave was great three passes BBs had a slight bit of irritation in the same spot as yesterday. The more I use this executive the more I appreciate it. To be honest it'd be the last razor I'd ever get rid of. My grandfather got one as a gift from my grandmother and used it from the late 50s until he had a stroke in 1995. I'm thinking for my birthday this year I'm going to have this one fixed and replated. Hope everybody has a great rest of your week and happy shaves!

Redemption Shave

Rating: 9.85/10 Almost Perfection

Maybe I can get my Days correct this morning as I called yesterday as Wednesday.
Whatever - I'm old and the brain doesn't always hit on eight cylinders.
Changed the blade today to a Hill's (East Coast Dept. Store) branded Platinum Chrome.
Got these on EBay at a good price and I figured they were re-branded Personna.
What a HUGE difference. Fantastic shave at last.

PAL Adjustable Injector Razor
Hills Platinum Chrome Injector Blade (1X)
Wet The Face Thomas Shelby Signature Soap
Made-Rite No 82 Vintage Badger Brush
Citrus Musk Splash On

Barrister & Mann Seville Aftershave

View attachment 1827030
Those old Personna platinum injector blades were the best!

Wednesday’s shave…..
IMG_6958.jpeg

Gillette , made in USA, new long comb I think? , Nacet blade, Kent pure badger BK2 … no longer in production I believe…shame as it’s a great brush and Hampshire Wool Fat, No1 tallow and lanolin soap….absolutely top class lather IMO, made locally so low soap miles👍.
I don’t use this razor much as it gives me more irritation than with my preferred models like the pre and post war Techs , Souplex and Henson. I reckon it needs a few days growth to really shine and I shave daily so it stays on the shelf more often than the others, however…. got a DFS with it this morning.
2 passes only as I know this Gillette can make me burn. If I used it more I reckon I’d get accustomed to it but my other choices always win me over. Glad I didn’t chase a super smooth result .
The highlight of today was the Hampshire soap…outstanding …slick, creamy , moisturising and mildly scented. It’s excellent.
8/10

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Pre-shave • Neutrogena Fragrance-free Bar Soap

Soap • Arko

Bowl • CaYuen (Large)

Brush • Connaught Omega Jade

Razor • Lambda Ares V2

Blade • Nacet (1)

*Warm Shower*

Aftershave • Thayers Unscented + Master Smokey Oud

Eye Gel • Neutrogena Hydro Boost

The Ares V2/Nacet combo knocked down about 4 days of growth with no issues at all.

No irritation or weepers.

10/10.

Have a blessed evening, friends.

Now Playing •

8th April 2024

Razor: Gillette Aristocrat, Made in England, third generation, late 40s/early 50s
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge, Made in Russia (new blade)
Brush: Muhle Classic STF synthetic shaving brush (faux ivory, medium/21mm)
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements lathering bowl (blue/white)
Soap: Cella Crema da Barba (Cella red)
Post shave: Moon Soaps Amaretto Speciale aftershave splash

Rating: 8/10

The shave with this razor is usually 9.5/10 but it was slightly below the usual with this shave! I'm not sure why. I'd never used that particular blade in it before.. or maybe it was just one off operator error! 😋 I got it fully replated a while ago and I love it. I really love the old British Aristocrats.. I'm looking for a first generation OC to restore now.

10th April 2024 (Tonight's Shave!)

Razor: Gillette Executive "Fatboy", F2/1960
Blade: Personna Platinum, Made in Germany (new blade)
Brush: Muhle Classic STF synthetic shaving brush (faux ivory, medium/21mm)
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements lathering bowl (blue/white)
Soap: Cella Crema da Barba (Cella red)
Post shave: Moon Soaps Amaretto Speciale aftershave splash

Rating: 9.5/10

Tonight was first time using the 1960 Executive Fatboy after a full restoration and beautiful replating in 24k gold by Chris at BRG and it was an absolute joy to shave with. Just put it pretty much down the middle at setting 5 and used it at that for the full three pass shave.

It was almost too nice to use! But I like to make use of each and every one my razors and enjoy and appreciate them. They were made to to do a job after all. This one has been around for 64 years so here's to many more years of use in its new home.

I very much doubt the man who bought or received this razor somewhere in America in 1960 ever thought that 60+ years in the future it would be restored and starting a new life thousands of miles away across the Atlantic. Maybe it's just me but I find things like this fascinating to consider. 😁

If only razors could talk they surely would have some stories to tell. 😄 I used to think this about my straight razors.. some going back to the 1800s. It's just mind blowing to think some of them were likely in use in the same era as when Jack the Ripper stalked the streets of London.. over half a century prior to the outbreak of WWII.

I hope everyone is having a nice week! It's half over now anyways. 😎

Those old Personna platinum injector blades were the best!
Agreed - what a world of difference from one Day to the next. I was hoping it wasn't the PAL Adjustable itself.
I figured the Hills was a re-branded Personna as the packaging indicated Made in the USA and we can pretty well deduce that is Personna. I got two 11 blade injector packs for $7 on EBay. Which was a better price than buying new on Amazon. LOL

British Gillette Superspeed
Personna Platinum (1)
Proraso Blue
Semogue 6 something. I always forget haha.

IMG_1185.jpeg

IMG_1187.jpeg

I feel I got pretty lucky I got my hands on this razor. From everything I’ve read this is a pretty uncommon razor. You’ll notice it isn’t a rocket as it doesn’t have the telescoping mechanism.

10/10. Lovely razor and shave! This might be my unicorn.

Gillette British Red Tip Superspeed
Cella red soap and aftershave
Simpsons Chubby 2 best badger
German Wilkinson Sword blade (1st and last)!

If there was a way to give negative numbers to a shave, this would be it. This razor blade felt like I scraped my skin with a paint scraper. I've never had as much razor burn as from this. It was so bad that I'll bin the other 4 blades in the tuck.

Preshave: Glycerine Facewash with warm water splashes
Razor : Merkur 37C Slant
Blade : Gillette Nacet (D3)
Brush : Simpson Duke 3 in Best Badger
Soap : Santa Maria del Fiore
Aftershave : Alum Block + Cold water splashes + FAA Speedster AS Lotion

Close and comfortable BBS in 3 passes !! :pipe:

Rating : 9.45/10

Merkur_HD_Slant_37C-300x225.jpg
Nacet.jpg

Date10.04.2024
366 daily shaves
102/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette Canadian TechLord Cool (4)Abe’s Brush Works Saturn Synbad
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (84)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)5/10 (Sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8/10
(DFS+)
6.5/10 (Harshishly comfortable)

Notes:

Summary. Excellent shave with the Canadian Tech - it is probably just my imagination, but I think this Tech combines the best of the best in terms of comfort and effectiveness. Wonderful shave!

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Top Bottom