What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

tempImageuK7Ayv.jpg

Brush: 24mm Cashmere knot
Lather: B&M Petrichor
Blade: 7 O'Clock Green (1)
Razor: Karve CB with SB-G plate

Travel shave; I got to try a friend's Petrichor. I didn't realize this is the word that names the scent of freshly-rained-upon earth. It captures that really well. I had an excellent shave with the SB-G plate; no injuries or irritation and a BBS- finish that lasted nearly all day. 10/10 for me today!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hello everyone! Well, I have to say I got something new for you, are you ready for this?

proxy.php

Last minute decision, pre-shave requirement
proxy.php

WTG & ATG 3-day stubble shave!

(1) Merkur Futur Adjustable DE Safety Razor!
(2) Brand New Bic Chrome Platinum Blade!
(3) Captains Choice Starry Night Scuttle!
(4) Captains Choice Italia Shave Soap!
(5) Captains Choice Volunteer Test Sample!
(6) Maseto Silver Tipped Badger Brush!
(7) Proraso Eucalyptus Pre-Shave
(8) Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel
(9) Omega Alum Sitck

Pre-shave applied, waiting for lather! Lather applied, now waiting for razor!

So ya, guess what? New razor guys! Thats right, the Merkur Futur! Because the razor was new, I needed to see what it did, I chose to start my WTG passes on blade aggression level 3. Before I finished WTG passes, I razed it to blade aggression level 4. I managed to get a very smooth WTG shave, with much of the whiskers removed! I got a slight nick on the same mole I often do, alum stick straightened that out.

I then re-wet my face, re-lathered, set my blade aggression to level 2. I then began my ATG passes. Once again, the Futur provided me a very smooth shave, smoother then my Rex Ambassador! But I did have to finish off with a little buffing here and there. By the time the shave was done, Thayers Witch Hazel applied, and the CC volunteer test sample aftershave, I felt my face, and heres the score...

95% BBS, 5% DFS remained! Total score... 10 out of 10!

Prep:
KCG Face wash
Proraso Green Preshave
Razor:
Fatip Piccolo Nickel OC
Brush:
Razorock Plissoft 400
Cream:
The Alpha Men 2.0
Bowl:
Proraso
Blade:
Dorco ST 300 HQ (1)
Passes:
WTG - Gillette Slide (NE-SW and E-W horizontal on the neck) and curved
XTG - Gillette Slide (NW-SE and S-N on the neck)
ATG - Slightly slanted (N-S and SW-NE)
ATG - Slightly slanted (W-E horizontal on the neck)
Aftershave:
Proraso Green
Balm:
Stirling Executive Man
Rating:
7.5/10 BBS
Comments:The first shave with the new Fatip Piccolo OC nickel. I thought I would give the Dorco a second chance. I was painfully reminded about the aggressiveness of this combination. Minor weeper on the first pass. But the first ATG was slaughter and onslaught to my neck and cheeks. Nothing major but a pass with the alum block stand like you cannot imagine - maybe the worst stinging since starting DE shaving. I had a similar experience the first round with a Dorco in the KCG but after the first shave things smoothed out. So definitely points deducted for the overall experience. However, after rinsing man I felt smooth! BBS minus the comfortable shave.

Lots of nicks, no cuts, no irritation. Somewhat of a happy bunny.

Have a great day everyone.

Hello everyone! Well, I have to say I got something new for you, are you ready for this?

proxy.php

Last minute decision, pre-shave requirement
proxy.php

WTG & ATG 3-day stubble shave!

(1) Merkur Futur Adjustable DE Safety Razor!
(2) Brand New Bic Chrome Platinum Blade!
(3) Captains Choice Starry Night Scuttle!
(4) Captains Choice Italia Shave Soap!
(5) Captains Choice Volunteer Test Sample!
(6) Maseto Silver Tipped Badger Brush!
(7) Proraso Eucalyptus Pre-Shave
(8) Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel
(9) Omega Alum Sitck

Pre-shave applied, waiting for lather! Lather applied, now waiting for razor!

So ya, guess what? New razor guys! Thats right, the Merkur Futur! Because the razor was new, I needed to see what it did, I chose to start my WTG passes on blade aggression level 3. Before I finished WTG passes, I razed it to blade aggression level 4. I managed to get a very smooth WTG shave, with much of the whiskers removed! I got a slight nick on the same mole I often do, alum stick straightened that out.

I then re-wet my face, re-lathered, set my blade aggression to level 2. I then began my ATG passes. Once again, the Futur provided me a very smooth shave, smoother then my Rex Ambassador! But I did have to finish off with a little buffing here and there. By the time the shave was done, Thayers Witch Hazel applied, and the CC volunteer test sample aftershave, I felt my face, and heres the score...

95% BBS, 5% DFS remained! Total score... 10 out of 10!
What?! No Rex Ambassador? This is too much change for me in the morning! Still an adjustable so my mind is at bay again 😂. And (in my opinion) good call on the pre shave. Sounds like a nice shave.

Cheers,

Guido

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
What?! No Rex Ambassador? This is too much change for me in the morning! Still an adjustable so my mind is at bay again 😂. And (in my opinion) good call on the pre shave. Sounds like a nice shave.

Cheers,

Guido

For anyone who is not following my other threads, I knew my post was going to throw some of you through a loop. LMAO! :lol: I am a strong believer in adjustables now, I don't think I could ever go back to standard DE razors. I still have my Feather AS-D2 3-piece razor, incase my adjustables take a dump on me.

BTW, I read your SOTD post, and I felt so sorry for you. That is not the kind of experience that a DE wet shaver should have to go through, especially an experience DE shaver such as yourself. I think you shouldn't use that razor again, maybe use a Merkur Futur next time.

I know all about alum block stings, and I've had shaves with my Rex before, that made me have lots of stings via alum block lol. But the worst of it, is if you alum block your face and neck, then come back with a Captains Choice Italia aftershave, it will bring on the heat, you will feel the burn, super strong. And you will be like wouzars! :lol:

But of course, you feel better afterwords. Here's hoping you have a better shave next time. Just hmm, please use a different razor! lol. So far I am liking my Merkur Futur. My review on it in the general shave discussion forum.

Hmm…@Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker…putting down my Piccolo would be akin to stop breathing. No, I should have known better. My Fatips generally work with any type of blade but somehow the Dorco (which in itself is a mild blade) is transformed into the harvester of bloodshed and tears. And still, I will give it another go tomorrow because my experience has been that this blade definitely needs breaking in (i.e. some of the coating has to rub off it at least that it my take on it). And yes, the sting of the aftershave is still there! All within tolerable thresholds.

You on the other hand had an amazing shave and I applaud you for it. I was definitely under the impression that you would almost go for no other razor no more. So glad to see you still experiment. I have been going back and forth about getting an adjustable, but I am more of a daily shaver so my need for adjusting according to growth is less I guess.

Anyway, thanks for your support. Much appreciated!

Cheers,

Guido

Warm shower to start. Two day growth.
Tatara Nodachi
Voskhod (5)
Stirling Electric Sheep
Alum block then Stirling Lemon Chill splash
Epsilon Blue Mediterranean aftershave
Wonderfully smooth even with the positive blade exposure of the Nodachi. No irritation from three passes WTG, XTG, and ATG. Some light buffing to finish. BBS shave resulted, with the blade just a little tuggy on fool’s pass, so binned after 5.
9.4/10

Pre: Hot Shower, Sanex BioMe
Razor: Straume
Soap: Tabac Original (the real Original)
Blade: Personna Med Prep
Brush: Proraso Omega Boar

Rate: 10

This was an interesting shave.

Sanex BioMe is designed to create a protective layer on your skin, to prevent skin issues. It works great. Haven't had any problems since I started using it. But it makes stubble real soft too. I rub them, brush my teeth and then shower it off. Best pre shave for me.

This razor comes from the USSR. The letters STRAUME are not cyrillic, but those on the box are. I bought it from a gentleman in Lithuania, a former Sovjet republic. I could not find a lot of info on it, except from a member who loved it. Since I collect bakelite and plastic vintage, I decided to give this eighties specimen a try. They are dirt cheap, so why not?
I must say I was quite impressed. Alignment took some extra effort, but once fitted, the blade was just fine. Unlike most razors, this is a two piece. Nice. Construction is very good.
As was the shave. I could shave very fast, this is a true fool proof razor. Every beginner could use it, no problem. You have to keep the right balance, but if you don't: no harm done. The STRAUME will not bite.
Shave result was way above average. Not as close as my other, very aggressive vintages, but much better than most contemporary razors most of us use.
I HIGHLY recommend this razor. Ideal for travel. Weight is extremely low. It does mean you have to use a light pressure to make it shine though.

Tabac. I hated it. Until I started actually using it. The scent has grown on me, I love it now. The lather quality is amazing. It explodes while face lathering. Glide is perfect. Post shave too. Many high end soaps leave my skin a bit too fat. This Tabac does not. Still can't believe this ancient formula was replaced by vegan.

Don't be fooled by the Nivea. I pimped the Sensitive, by adding a lot of alcohol, menthol and anice. I love Stirling Black Ice and created a post shave substance that works as an AS and balm in one. And it works beyond what I hoped for. Not for salem though. Sorry about that.

My apologies for the long post, but I thought this would interest some.

Happy shaves, brethren 🙏🏾

720CC942-7701-4C34-A188-CCA1EDCE8B54.jpeg

Last edited:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Sandalwood shave soap (applied by hand - pump)
Soap: Murphy & McNeil Bad Mor 👍😲
Brush: Frankenbrush (Semogue Galahad handle with an APShave Co. G5A knot) 👍
Razor: Wolfman WR2 SS SB 1.15 👍
Blade: Bic Astor (2) 👍
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Stirling Witch Hazel & Aloe (Margaritas in the Arctic) - Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: PAA Boomtown Bay Rum 👍

This shave went extremely well, DFS/BBS with no blood, and I'm grateful for it because my last shave didn't go well. First, the soap is a winner...performance and scent...their take on Bay Rum. I've never smelled a powdery Bay Rum until this. I had the aftershave splash many years ago and used it up. It may be time to order it again. It's a different take on Bay Rum, but very nicely done. After this shave, I just ordered their new Bushmalt soap which is a different soap base with more stuff in it. WR2 and Bic Astor were a great match this morning, both performing beyond expectation. PAA Boomtown for the finish...brilliant! Rating: five thumbs up and one Wow...and that's awfully good.

Happy Shaves, Everyone!

A_20220503_071507.jpg

Shave of Day.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Cera Ve Hydrating Facial Cleaner
Soap/Cream
Ethos Unscented
Brush
Uomo da Vinci 293 Silvertip
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Henson Ti22 - Medium
Blade
Personna Lab
Aftershave
Thayers WH & PAA Mysterium Serum
Fragrance
GFT Sandalwood
Rating
10/10
Comments
Another good shave with the Ti22. Fourth shave with the Personna Lab blade and 54th use of the Ethos soap. This blade works nicely with the Ti razor. While I am writing this in my office, I spotted a Roadrunner on the back wall of my house. He had a small gecko hanging from his mouth. Unfortunately, he disappeared before I could get to my camera. Another beautiful Arizona day. Have a good one, B&Bers.

03 May 2022

March Mania / GRUME Day-3
20220503_072752.jpg

Prep:
Harry’s Face Scrub with long soak in
Razor:
King C. Gillette—Germany/China
Brush:
Gray Dog--Ohio
Lathering:
Using heated rain water.

Cattie’s Bubbles – Forked River, New Jersey
Bowl:
Fine Stoneware—New York
Blade: Astra SP Russia
Blade #9 Shave #3 7 blades in reserve
Passes:
1st WTG only
2nd (mix of ATG, XTG, WTG as required)
Cleanup:
1) Rinsed & dried face
2) Witch Hazel--application
3) Omega Alum stick--Italy
Aftershave:
Pinaud Clubman--Mexico
Rating(s):
9.5 DFS+
For today:
Moderate stubble, but no nicks or weepers
Comment:
Posting later than normal. Heavy thunderstorms rolled through our area overnight. Our 100 pound American Bully dog kept us informed of the storm with his barking warnings to us.
Have about 1/2 gallon of rain water to harvest later this morning.
This morning I had more stubble than I usually have. Perhaps blade #9 is wearing out sooner than expected. Or, since I am shaving later than normal, could my beard be longer and thus stiffer?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
ASRazor shave, May3rd 2022

Razor : Everready 1914 LLC- Mfg 1914-17, excellent mid range, great audio feed back, was very popular for it's time.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(8) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap : Razorock The Dead Sea- nice unique fragrance:001_wub: + excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi 24mm Aqua High mountain silver tip badger, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, nice scrubber + excellent painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock The Dead Sea AS with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my ER 1914 with a coated gem blade.
SOTD May 3 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom