What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Pre Shave: Warm shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap Face Wash, Crown Pre Shave Gel
Razor: Parker Adjustable Injector on 2.5
Blade: Ted Pella Injector
Brush: Zenith Kotibe Silvertip
Soap: Stirling Executive Man
Post Shave: Cold water rinse, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Executive Man EDT
Rating: 9.50/10 Excellent two pass BBS shave, minimal buffing. No weepers, no irritation and no cuts. Very efficient comfortable shave. First shave with the Parker Injector. I prefer mild razors and this one fits that description. Will dial up a 1/2 number tomorrow to see if less touchups/buffing needed. Overall I would say Parker has a winner in bringing out an inexpensive injector that's adjustable.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Thursday morning shave

Razor: Joseph Allen & Sons
Brush: Boar
Soap: Portus Cale

A grand shave this fine morning. This razor just feels great, very satisfied. New soap is killing it for me. Stay safe all!

CC5C259F-1498-463A-BE33-5CAA073F99B7.jpeg

9/10

Evening cold water shave, to wind down a bit after the day. 3 passes + touch-ups on 36h growth. I got to a BBS but at the expenses of some razor burns and red-dots in the trouble areas. I grew impatient after a while and it showed.

I used what is becoming my standard fall set-up.

Pre: a hot shower and Proraso pre
Brush: Simpsons Trafalgar T3 (I love this tank of a brush, too bad for the small handle)
Lather: TOBS Sandalwood
Razor: Merkur 38c and Gillette Platinum (new) - (this combo wasn't efficient enough to get where I wanted I guess.. I had to go over and over the same spot)

7,5/10

Pre-shave: Hot towel, Proraso pre-shave Sensitive skin
Soap: MDC Fougere
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Razor: EJ 3one6
Brush: Simpson’s Chubby 2 Super
Post-shave: Proraso pre-shave, Jack Black Cooling Gel, Black Jack Bumps,
Nivea Sensitive skin Balm, Pinaud after shave lotion

Love shaving, especially when I am not on a schedule, very relaxing and enjoyable.

I only use the Voskhod’s for 2 shaves, very smooth and sharp when used that way.

Have used some of my other soaps , but nothing works as well as MDC.

Have 4 brushes on the way, 2 synthetics , horse, and 1 Manchurian

Have a great Thanksgiving
0FC924B3-397E-4AAA-97AC-6DC05AC33364.jpeg

Thanksgiving duty day shave!

Prep
: Room-temp Water Splashes
Bowl: Timeless plastic lather bowl (included because of pro design, read below)
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Gillette Nacet (3)
Brush: Zenith B2
Cream: D R Harris Eucalyptus
Aftershave: Fine Green Vetiver
Rating : 10/10 DFS+++

I have duty today(gross) but it's not a normal work day, so I treated myself to a way longer than normal shave on the ship. Soaked the Zenith while I was washing my face and brushing my teeth. Rang it out and whipped up a phenomenal lather from the Eucalyptus cream. I ordered the 8 cream D R Harris sample and I'd have to say this is the best performing cream of the group so far for slickness and comfort. The scent strength is lacking but it more than makes up for it in performance and an extremely slight mentholated feel. Wonderful. I'll probably be ordering the Windsor and Arlington soaps as those scents are just incredible and I've heard/read that the soaps perform even better than the cream! My poor wallet!

The Nacet blade in the Feather has been way better than I expected. The last two blades I've tried (Kai and Nacet) have been the best that I've used. Before those two my favorite was the GSB in that razor so I'm going to have to revisit and compare results and longevity between the three! Extremely smooth shave today with zero blade chatter and absolutely no tugging or pulling. The kind of shave that just makes you wonder if you even have a blade in the razor.

Finished off the shave by rinsing with warm water, drying, then putting on some Fine Green Vetiver splash. A little bit of burn just how I like it..a little bit of that mentholated cooling effect on a warm day... Perfect! I ordered a few Fine aftershave samples (Fresh Vetiver, Green Vetiver, and American Blend) just to see, and I didn't like the Green Vetiver at first but it's growing on me. Nice fresh scent that lasts a while, makes my facemask smell great and keeps my face from getting too oily. The only negative so far is that the SWMBO says all of them make me smell like an old man (She doesn't like the vetivers at all, but she actually complimented the American Blend 6-7 hours after application the other day without knowing what it was).

Props to the Timeless plastic bowl today! It's been working great for whipping up lathers. The sides are the perfect height for a brush to soak in, and if you don't have stubby handled brushes you'll never hit the sides with your fingers. It's also quiet if you do bang your handles on the side. I dropped it today off the stainless sink area onto the extremely hard steel deck. Any other material would have been shattered as it was actually thrown because I tried to catch it and missed. My coworker that was in there laughed at how ridiculous the attempt was..

TL;DR - Had a great shave today, and I'm very blessed to utilize this site and other enthusiast sites to choose and use the gear that I have. Hope everyone else has just as wonderful of a shave today! Very thankful for all of the information and experience I've gathered from this site over the last year. Shave on

Standing duty on a holiday sucks if you have family.
WHen single, you can make money taking duty for guys with family. Did that more than a few times when I was in the Corps.
Are you in port or at sea?

Standing duty on a holiday sucks if you have family.
WHen single, you can make money taking duty for guys with family. Did that more than a few times when I was in the Corps.
Are you in port or at sea?
Currently in-port but in the shipyards. Just a lousy situation all around. They usually prepare us a pretty solid holiday meal though so at least there's that! At least I'm not deployed at this time like last year. Missed Thanksgiving, Christmas, New years, and almost July 4th! 6 extensions due to Covid.

Thanksgiving shave

Pre-shave: Shower/Hot washcloth/PAA The Cube
Razor: British Tech
Blade: 7am Plus Platinum
Brush: Rubberset 303 badger boar mix
Soap: Old Spice cream
Bowl/Mug: Fleamarket find
Post Shave: PAA Mysterium Serum/The Ordinary hyaluronic acid drops
AS: Old Spice

48hrs growth, 4 pass shave

Got the Old Spice from India a few days ago, and decided to try it today. Put about a cashew sized dollop in my modified fleamarket bowl, and after letting my slightly butchered Rubberset 303 brush soak, I flicked the excess water out and started making lather. The OS cream lathered up very fast, and made a very nice lather. I was surprised how easy it lathered up.
Was left with a little sandpaper feeling in a few areas, which is disappointing, but having slightly over-shaved my neck, I'm gonna just live with it. Feels very smooth WTG, though, so that is good. Opened up a bump on the left side of my face on my first pass, but it stopped bleeding before I was finished with my shave.
Overall a pretty good shave.
I really am enjoying the mixed knots when I use them.

No nicks: 4.5
No irritation: 4.5
Closeness: 3.75
Smoothness: 4.5
Overall rating: 8.625

26th.jpg

Eben Stone

Staff member
Prep: hot towel, Noxema facial cleanser (left it on for about 2 mins while I made lather), Shave Secret (2 drops on left side of face only, for testing)
Blade: Vidyut Supermax #1
Razor: Gillette New LC
Brush: RR 400
Soap: Bigelow
Aftershave: Omega alum stick, shower, Thayers rose witch hazel, SV Opuntia

The hardware and software I used today were chosen randomly in the shave roulette game:

3 pass: lukewarm WTG, XTG, ATG. Mustache AGT. And ATG cleanup pass along the jawline.

I used hot distilled water to make lather with the Bigelow. I got the lather a little too watery. Bigelow has great slickness and great cushion. Scent is weird but I like it.

It's hard to talk about the blade because I used the GNLC and it's mild and has no blade feel. Achieved an OK shave today, not very close and some irritation. Zero tugging.

No weepers, not even from going mustache AGT. I was expecting zero irritation, but got some redness on my neck, still visible after taking a shower. No cuts, no nicks. Some alum burn, less than expected, so I'm going with yes there was a little irritation.

I used shave secret only on the left side of my face, and I only had redness on the right side of my neck. So maybe it's useful. I need more testing to be sure. And next time I'll only put it on the right side of my face.

🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
HAPPY THANKGIVING EVERYONE!!!

Yesterday's (Wednesday Morning) Shave
A very quick shave getting ready for a day trip​
Prep: Warm shower​
1-1/2 pass shave: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: Karve Brass 3-1/2" SB Plate B​
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (2)​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Blue Cream, Aloe & Vitamin E​
Brush: Elite Razor Quilted Sapele 24mm Mother Load​
Soap: Williams Mug Shaving Soap​
Toner: Thayers Original Witch Hazel Facial Toner with Aloe Vera Formula​
Aftershave: Proraso Blue Balm, Aloe and Vitamin E​
Rating: 9.4/10 DFS! No nicks! No irritation!

Thanksgiving's Shave

Prep: Warm shower​
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth​
Two pass shave: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: Buck 39 Salient by Caleb Cooper - Matte Black G10​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso White Cream For Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Brush: Rudy Vey B&B 2020 Green #23/30 w/ Shavemac Finest 22mm​
Soap: Proraso White Shaving Soap for Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Toner: Thayer's Original Witch Hazel​
Aftershave: Proraso White Balm for Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Rating: 8.8/10 A nice shave. The razor was dragging a little. No irritation. One minor nick that disappeared with my rinse...

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
🦃 Happy Thanksgiving 🦃
20201126_111935~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Vector OC :001_wub:
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (4)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Volcanic Ash Handle (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Post-shave care: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Original Stetson
Fragrance: Original Stetson Cologne

Three passes + touch-up. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Really outstanding Thanksgiving Day shave! :)

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
🦃 Happy Thanksgiving 🦃
View attachment 1187337
Razor: @Blackland Razors Vector OC :001_wub:
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (4)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Volcanic Ash Handle (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Post-shave care: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Original Stetson
Fragrance: Original Stetson Cologne

Three passes + touch-up. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Really outstanding Thanksgiving Day shave! :)

Your Wild West brush caught my eye...looked them up. Some very nice looking brushes. A bit pricey, but very nice looking. What kind of knot is that in yours?

IMG_20201126_102136-01.jpeg

My first shave with my Simpson’s Chubby 3 - god this thing has a densely packed knot! So I decided to go for a posh shave and use the Feather AS-D2 and have a spray of Creed Aventus.

The soaked brush is really heavy and it can lather so well with the Mitchell’s. I ‘m sure it can only improve.

This was another perfect, BBS shave, as after about 7 or 8 shaves, I have found and can use the steeper angle required for the AS-D2. So yes it’s mild but with that angle I was BBS after two passes, apart from my neck which always requires more work.

10/10

Enjoy your shaves and stay safe!

Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Feather (2)
Soap: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
Brush: Simpson’s Duke 3 Best Badger
Pre-shave: PAA Cube
Post-shave: Creed Aventus
Face lather:

Razor: RazoRock DE1
Blade: Voskhod Teflon Coated (1)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm