What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Splash o' hot water,
Lather of Pre de Provence with Simpson T2 synthetic,
Three passes with a brand new Crystal in a Feather AS-D2,
Hot shower, and
A splash of 4711 cologne as an aftershave.

The AS-D2 is still quite new to me. It works brilliantly with the Feather blades supplied by WCS. So it was with trepidation that I loaded a Crystal, my favorite blade in my old Edwin Jagger DE89. The trepidation was needless. The Crystal performed extremely well without any evidence of first shave choppiness. BBS. 10/10!

Soap
Cyclax Coconut/Palmolive
Brush
None
Razor
Wilkinson TTO
Blade
Shark
Aftershave
None
Fragrance
None
Rating
8/10

P1030124.JPG

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Bay Rum soap
Soap: Dr. Jon's Anne Bonny
Brush: Yaqi Red Marbelized Tuxedo Synthetic
Razor: Karve Brass SB - Plate B
Blade: Kai SS (2)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Thayers Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Dr. Jon's Anne Bonny

Great shave! No complaints, no injuries or blood. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

Happy Shaves to All.

Kit 20201125.jpg

Everything as usual.

Except that instead of using shave oil I gave KY a chance. After all, it is lubricant so I thought it would provide sleekness, and it did, better than J&J Baby Oil.

Drawback: it does not leave the skin as baby oil does, together with shaving soap I could feel tight skin.

:letterk1:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Razor: Ever-Ready 1924 Shovelhead (brass)
Blade: GEM (Personna) PTFE (3)
Brush: Spiffo - Alezeh (High Mountain White SHD-Fan) 26mm
Pre-Shave: Face Scrub, Thayers, Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: Noble Otter - Barrbarr
Aftershave: Noble Otter - Monarch
View attachment 1186777
Shave Rating: 9.9/10
If it’s been snowing...break out the Shovelhead
View attachment 1186778
My Shovelhead just seemed like the correct razor for today.
I had the Noble Otter Barrbarr lather whipped up to perfection along with a keen edged Personna blade and got the job done.
I haven’t used a Shovelhead in a while, so I wasn’t used to the audible feedback it produces. Super close BBS shave with nary a nick or irritation.
The best part of this mornings shave was the lathering. It felt so good I didn’t want to stop. For some reason, the super high density fan knot produced a suction on my face while I was making circular scrubbing motions. I could feel it lifting the whiskers straight up and seriously coating them. The brush actually made a suctioning “pop” when I lifted it off my face. I’ve never experienced this feeling before while lathering, and it felt magnificent! I believe the high density of the knot helped produce that “airtight” phenomenon. At least it was new to me. Now I want that feeling all the time.

Snow=Shovel Shave=Shovelhead
Looks like your into Cold shaving like @Cal BRRRRRR. :cuppa:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, WED, NOV25th 2020

Razor: Razorock German 37 slant-Mfg 2016> excellent mid range, very efficient, 2 pass with pickups works for me.
Blade: Gillette Astra SP- excellent blade sharp & smooth with good longevity.
Soap: Razorock Country side- mild scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi lucky dice 26 mm tuxedo knot- excellent lather creator with good backbone for a gentle scrub with cloud like tips.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a clear dollop of Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock XXX with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:Excellent shave with my RR German slant + Astra SP blade.

DE SOTD, Wed, Nov25th 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Jack Black Deep Dive Glycolic Facial Cleanser
- Clinique for Men Exfoliating Tonic
- King of Shaves Advanced Shave Oil
- Truefitt & Hill Apsley Cream (sample)

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Kiehl's Age Defender Power Serum (sample)
- Truefitt & Hill Apsley Aftershave Balm (sample)
- Jack Black Double Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- Edwin Jagger DE86 BIC Chrome Platinum
- BIC Chrome Platinum (1)
- Antica Barberia Mondial Boar

Shave Rating: 8.5/10
First shave with a Truefitt & Hill cream today and it was an impressive first outing. I would say it slightly out performed the D.R. Harris cream I tried least week (slightly slicker) but there was not a lot in it. I also really like the Apsley scent (a smoky, woody, citrus scent to me) which was a perfect pairing for an Autumn shave. Even though I usually use a standard aftershave balm when trying out a sample, the Truefitt & Hill sample bag comes with matching creams and balms so I went with the Apsley balm as well. Again, a nice fragrance to the balm and it soaks in quickly to provide a nice post shave feel. Although I felt the scent disappeared very quickly I keep getting hints of it throughout the morning which I am enjoying.
I got some feedback from the Alum block today (not sure why as the shave felt nice and smooth) and one small weeper, other than that, an enjoyable shave with the T&H combination.

Soap: Cella
Razor: Muhle R89
Blade: 7 O'clock SS
Brush: Omega boar
Aftershave: VIBR
Balm: Nivea Sensitive

Loaded too much soap. Ended up with enough lather to fill up a dump truck. Love the stuff.

Honestly, if Cella offered different scents at the same price point, I don't think I'd buy anything else.

9/10

Pre Shave: Warm shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap Face Wash, Crown Pre Shave Gel
Razor: Schick M2 Adjustable on 4.5
Blade: Schick "Chick" injector
Brush: Stirling High Mountain White Badger 24mmx57mm
Soap: Stirling Executive Man
Post Shave: Stypic Pencil, Cold water rinse, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Proraso Red AS
Rating: 9.50/10 Excellent two pass BBS shave, minimal buffing on chin. One nick, no irritation and no cuts. Very efficient comfortable shave. Not sure why I started shaving with the Schick Adjustable again, but guess it was lonely in the rack and I took pity on it. Have been very happy with the shaves from it and could make it my daily razor, but what fun would that be to be confined to one razor!

Eben Stone

Staff member
Prep: hot towel, Noxema facial cleanser (left it on for about 2 mins while I made lather), Shave Secret (4 drops)
Blade: Dorco ST301 #2
Razor: Muhle R41
Brush: RR 400
Soap: GFT coconut
Aftershave: Omega alum stick, shower, Thayers rose witch hazel, TBS maca root

The hardware and software I used today were chosen randomly in the shave roulette game:

3 pass: lukewarm ATG, XTG, WTG. Mustache AGT. And ATG cleanup pass along the jawline.

I used hot distilled water to make lather with the GFT coconut. The lather started to form in about 20 seconds which is much faster than other soaps/creams I've used. The scent is OK (I don't really care much for coconut). The slickness is just OK. The cushion is just OK.

The ST301 is sharp, achieved a very close shave, but some irritation. Very little tugging going first pass AGT.

Got some weepers from going mustache AGT. Got some strawberries on my neck. Some redness on my neck, still visible after taking a shower. No cuts, no nicks. Some alum burn, so I'm going with yes there was some irritation.

I used the same razor and same technique yesterday and achieved an almost zero irritation shave. So either this blade sucks and/or GFT doesn't have good cushion. GFT is already on the bottom of my list so perhaps it's both. I need more shaves with this combination to know for sure.

🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Razor: Blackbird sb
Blade: Gillette Platinum (4)
Brush: Razorock 400
Soap: La Toja stick - face lathered
Rating: 10

This blade is holding up really well so I think I’ll push it to another shave. The soap is very good for the price as is the splash and balm. This was a very close and comfortable bbs shave.

Thu 26 On the Road SOTD
Cream MacaRoot & Aloe
Brush Yaqi 24mm Aqua Tuxedo
Razor Game Changer.84-P SB
Blade Personna Lab Blue/Meds Prep 1st Use
Aftershaves
Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + MacaRoot Aloe Gel
Clubman GentsGin
Fantastic lather from the cream. Creamy and slick with a wonderful scent.
Shave with razor paired with this new blade was terrific!! Wow..! Not sure whether it's lab blue or med prep...but ohh soooo smooth, comfortable and sharp for 3+1passes for a mostly bbs to dfs result. Razor/blade combo feels so good that I overshaved and saw some creepers. Excellent aftershaves. Rating 9.5/10
20201125_160842.jpg

20201126_073237.jpg

Top Bottom