What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

- Prep: Wet washcloth with hot water and Proraso White Preshave cream
- Brush: Yaqi 30mm barber pole
- Razor: Rockwell 6S (4)
- Blade: Rapira Super Stainless (1)
- Soap: Storybook Visions & Revisions
- Aftershave: Thayers Rose
- Post Shave: Neturogena Hydro Boost balm and Hyaluronic Acid

Nice Sunday night shave. My first shave with a Rapira SS and it is an excellent sharp blade. The Yaqi brush is ridiculously huge. Holds enough soap for likely 6 passes. It is a beast.

9.5/10

Mon 16th SOTD
Soap Arko
Brush Yaqi 28mm Synthetic
Razor Yaqi Slant head on RR HD handle
Blade Elios Inoxidable 2nd
Post & Aftershaves
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Old Spice Original
Super nice creamy and slick lather!
Shave with this aggressive razor paired with my considered safe blade was an improvement from last use of the slant. Able to do the full 3+1pass without any weepers but did have some minor irritation. Wtg & xtg was ok but atg was skipping. Seems like the head is not able to clamp the blade rigid enough.
Result was some dfs but mostly sas. Rating 8.5/10
20201116_100145.jpg

16th Nov Shave.

Rex Ambassador on #5
Feather Hi Stainless (3)
Simpsons Duke 3 Manchurian
TOBS Sandalwood Soap
Thayers WH
TOBS Cologne

Rating 9/10
3 passes done. A Nice shave, the Rex doesn't need to be set so aggressive, I'm just experimenting to see if I can overcome the perceived 'drag' I experience with this razor and my TOBS lathering/skin combination.

SOD 16th Nov.jpg

Prep: Warm Water Splashes + Glycerin Face Wash
Razor: Parker SRB Shavette
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Indian Half Blade (D2)
Brush: Semogue SOC 2- Band Badger
Soap: Stirling Eucalyptus and Mint
Aftershave: Alum Block + Cold Water Rinse + Anherb AS Balm
Rating : 9.6 /10
Very very nice BBS in 3 passes !!

A Monday Morning shave with Vintage Colgate Mug Soap and my Rockwell 6S Matte Black.

Prep: Hot Shower and Bloom/Lather Building Water
Soap: Vintage Colgate Mug Soap
Razor: Rockwell Razors 6S Matte Black(R6, R4, and R3)/Merkur Mustache and Eyebrow Razor
Blade: Personna Med Prep (4)/Merkur Mustache and Eyebrow Blade (No Idea)
Brush: Zenith Scrubby Boar
AS/EdC: Clubman Special Reserve
Rating: 8.5/10

A quick and easy shave using a mug and face lathering. I love smelling like the Contractor/Veteran that I am.
[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

11/15/2020

Prep: Warm water to the face and cleansing with Dove soap
Pre shave: The bluebeards revenge
Soap: Cella Almond
Razor: Lord L6
Blade: BIC Astor (🤢)
Brush: Wilkinson Pure Bristle
Alum: Osma
Aftershave: Witch Hazel and Noxzema Cool Carbon

Rating: 6/10

Today's shave was my worst to date. Thus the 6/10. Mainly for two reasons. I had some pimples from last time going against the grain and the Bic Astor blade is kinda horrible. Rough, difficult and not at all soft. I had a hard time getting a deep shave. Of course I didn't have the best prep and the Lord L6 is not the best razor of all time but I did NOT expect such performance from a brand new blade. They say it's a matter of luck what shave you'll get out of an astor. Some are good some are not. Simple as that.

However, today was my first time using Cella almond! Such a great smelling and performing soap. Tons of lather and good protection. I might add that it's "thirsty". You have to keep adding water or else you'll get a very thick paste that will feel dry quickly. That's what happened to me today. Maybe this was also a factor that contributed to a bad shave. I did enjoy Cella though.

The bluebeards pre shave is ok. I used the right amount today and I think that if I didn't have it on, I would have had a much worse shave. I did two passes and had zero irritation apart from a tiny pimple that bled. The alum took care of that and it didn't sting at all. Indicative of my improved technique even with a horrible blade like astor.

The Wilkinson brush is small and still stiff but I like it. It just does the job. I am waiting for my Merkur 34c. I will give an update when it arrives.

Should I throw the astor away already?? 😁😁

The Astor blade is a very very difficult blade. It is very sharp, much sharper than Feather or BiC and NOT forgiving.

After the second -3 pass shave - the blade becomes easier to handle.

It is not to be used for ATG at the first use. Even experienced people avoid this blade.

40 years ago, in Greece, 60-70% of people were using this blade as the most popular. About 10% Nacet and 10% Wilkinson. After many years, the BiC S.A acquired Astor, and they still produce the blade. BiC Platinum did not exist at that time. BiC platinum is the "child" of ASTOR.

After returning from holidays, I have not being shaved for 20 days. ASTOR is the blade I use.

Δευτέρα. Καλό ξεκίνημα...

Razor : Blackland Blackbird OC
Blade : BiC (1)
Soap : MWF
Brush : Simpson's Chubby 2 Manchurian

WTG=>XTG=>ATG=> BBS 10.0/10.0 One of my best shaves.

Today I used one of the best for me combinations, of my gear. I am not sure if MWF is better from MdC or... but Blackland Blackbird OC is far the best safety razor.

The Astor blade is a very very difficult blade. It is very sharp, much sharper than Feather or BiC and NOT forgiving.

After the second -3 pass shave - the blade becomes easier to handle.

It is not to be used for ATG at the first use. Even experienced people avoid this blade.

40 years ago, in Greece, 60-70% of people were using this blade as the most popular. About 10% Nacet and 10% Wilkinson. After many years, the BiC S.A acquired Astor, and they still produce the blade. BiC Platinum did not exist at that time. BiC platinum is the "child" of ASTOR.

After returning from holidays, I have not being shaved for 20 days. ASTOR is the blade I use.

The current ASTOR is not the same with the ASTOR from 40 years ago. Many people have stated that. Modern ASTORS offer a harsh shave and have poor quality control. At least this is what numerous shavers have reported on various forums. One thing, that I have already said, that played a role was my paste. I did not add enough water and thus it came out very thick. But, the blade was harsh and provided the worse shave I have had since starting DE shaving. I will try to use them again sometime in the future but I already know that this is not the blade for me.

Bit of a “you can see my house from here” tour of England this morning. Stuff from within ten miles of places I’ve lived over the years (postal addresses I’ve had for more than a year) :

Vintage Hobson of Leamington 6/8 straight razor (Warwickshire)
Kent BLK2 “grey badger” brush (Apsley, Hertfordshire)
Mitchell’s Wool Fat (Bradford, West Yorkshire)
Superdrug “Forest Fresh” aftershave (Croydon, South London)

The razor was bought on an “I know where that is” impulse, the rest are just happy coinidence.

Nice shave, and T’ Fat seems to like that brush, the temperamental old muck. Less sandpaper W-E ATG under the chin than the other day, but still there so so I’m holding off full marks until I get that without resorting to a DE finish. And while it’s reasonable enough and gave a comfortable shave, I could probably improve on the edge I’ve given the Hobson.

I’ll call it an “8”.

The current ASTOR is not the same with the ASTOR from 40 years ago. Many people have stated that. Modern ASTORS offer a harsh shave and have poor quality control. At least this is what numerous shavers have reported on various forums. One thing, that I have already said, that played a role was my paste. I did not add enough water and thus it came out very thick. But, the blade was harsh and provided the worse shave I have had since starting DE shaving. I will try to use them again sometime in the future but I already know that this is not the blade for me.

I really do not know what people say about ASTOR. I just wrote my experience. ASTOR is exactly the same as it was 45 years ago, when I started shaving. I am sure they are exactly the same blades according to my experience for 45 years now.

On the other hand, ASTOR is made by BIC now. BIC S.A, have high graded quality controls and ISO, making them the biggest manufacturing company, manufacturing also, among others razor blades.

Last but not least, blades is personal preference. The blade that I have at the bottom of my list, is Gillette SP. That does not make it a bad blade. It is just not for me. That said IMHO.

Last edited:
Razor: Razorock Mamba 70
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)
Preshave: Hot shower
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic 26mm
Preshave: Hot shower
Lather: Haslinger Schafmilch Rasierseife Organic
Aftershave: Cold water rinse

No nicks: 5
No irritation: 5
Closeness: 5
Smoothness: 5

No nicks. No irritation. Very close and smooth shave. Pleasant shave.

No sensation of roughness with this blade.

Rating: 10/10

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 8.5/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Bay Rum soap
Soap: Captain's Choice 45th Parallel Cream
Brush: Semogue Pharos synthetic
Razor: Charcoal Goods SS LvL2
Blade: Derby Premium (2)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Thayers Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Black Ship Grooming Davy Jones

After last nights "lantern light" shave, I figured there wouldn't be much to mow down, so what did I do??? I grabbed the most aggressive razor in my collection and proceeded to create five small weepers. Well...live and learn. BBS shave for sure, but a little too much blood for my liking, hence the score. At least they were weepers and not nicks or cuts. Davy Jones is a Bourbon/Vanilla scented aftershave...mentholated. Smells nice. A good colder weather splash. 45th Parallel cream lathers quickly and easily and smells great...if you like cherries.

Happy Shaves, Everyone.

Kit 20201116.jpg

Top Bottom