What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Being that you are stationed somewhere in Europe (I assume, from your posts and interacting with a french officer), is the OS there the the old formula scent in milk glass, or the new scent in plastic?
More South East. Erbil, Kurdistan. Yes, they have the European stuff here that I have squirreled away in the Glass Bottles. The EdC is an EdT. It is very nice. Mine there are from the PX in Kuwait I have squirreled away before being transferred North.

Soap: Stirling Christmas Eve
Razor: '79 Tech (U.K.)
Blade: Personna Blue
Brush: Omega boar
Aftershave: Pinaud VIBR

Was super excited to get to try this soap today. I know it's early, but couldn't resist. Smells great, and I think it actually performed a tad better than my other Stirling soap. Either way, lovely shave today.

Been away all week so I've been on the canned stuff. It's good to be back to a good soap/brush.

BIRTHDAY SHAVE - Got a haircut this morning - high and tight - trim ears and eyebrows, shave neck. Came home to shave in shower - used 10-year old (but still good) Kiss My Face Fragrance Free Cream (in pump bottle), Phoenix Starcraft brush, Gillette Big Fellow shaver with (day three) Silver Blue Blade, two passes before cold water rinse, Myrsol Metisol A/S - will round it out with a bit of GIT once the Metisol scent wears off (in about an hour). BBS with no scrapes, cuts or weepers - 10 out of 10! I pity the fellows who have not discovered the pleasures of old time wet shaving!!!!
1AF38493-ABF2-4136-8AC6-28ECF32BAE49.jpeg

Last edited:
11/15/2020

Prep: Warm water to the face and cleansing with Dove soap
Pre shave: The bluebeards revenge
Soap: Cella Almond
Razor: Lord L6
Blade: BIC Astor (🤢)
Brush: Wilkinson Pure Bristle
Alum: Osma
Aftershave: Witch Hazel and Noxzema Cool Carbon

Rating: 6/10

Today's shave was my worst to date. Thus the 6/10. Mainly for two reasons. I had some pimples from last time going against the grain and the Bic Astor blade is kinda horrible. Rough, difficult and not at all soft. I had a hard time getting a deep shave. Of course I didn't have the best prep and the Lord L6 is not the best razor of all time but I did NOT expect such performance from a brand new blade. They say it's a matter of luck what shave you'll get out of an astor. Some are good some are not. Simple as that.

However, today was my first time using Cella almond! Such a great smelling and performing soap. Tons of lather and good protection. I might add that it's "thirsty". You have to keep adding water or else you'll get a very thick paste that will feel dry quickly. That's what happened to me today. Maybe this was also a factor that contributed to a bad shave. I did enjoy Cella though.

The bluebeards pre shave is ok. I used the right amount today and I think that if I didn't have it on, I would have had a much worse shave. I did two passes and had zero irritation apart from a tiny pimple that bled. The alum took care of that and it didn't sting at all. Indicative of my improved technique even with a horrible blade like astor.

The Wilkinson brush is small and still stiff but I like it. It just does the job. I am waiting for my Merkur 34c. I will give an update when it arrives.

Should I throw the astor away already?? 😁😁

Pre Shave: Warm shower, Glycerin Face Wash
Razor: Timeless Ti .68SB
Blade: Kai
Brush: Zenith 506A Manchurian
Soap: Barrester & Mann Reserve Classic
Post Shave: Cold water rinse, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Proraso Red AS
Rating: 9.75/10 Excellent two pass BBS shave, minimal buffing on chin. No weepers, minor irritation on chin and jaw line and no cuts. Tried the Kai blade on recommendation of JCarr and it did increase efficiency of the razor.

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Jack Black Deep Dive Glycolic Facial Cleanser
- King of Shaves Advanced Shave Oil
- D.R. Harris Windsor cream (sample)

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Jack Black Protein Booster Skin Serum
- Nivea for Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm
- Kiehls Age Defender Moisturiser

Tools
- Edwin Jagger DE86 BIC Chrome Platinum
- BIC Chrome Platinum (3)
- Omega 50014

Shave Rating: 8.5/10
Just a single pass shave today to keep looking presentable and kept going with the Windsor sample.
It was another pleasant shave with this sample. Performance is similar to the TOBS sample I tried recently and the Windsor scent is subtle but pleasant.
Overall an irritation free shave with no feedback from the Alum block.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
shave 20201115_095817_2.jpg

:001_wub:
Razor: Feather SS Artist Club Japanese Straight (1st two passes)
Blade: Feather Artist Club Proguard (1)
Razor: @Blackland Razors Vector OC (3rd pass + touch-up)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (1)
Brush: @Rudy Vey B&B 2020 Contributors Handle (TNS 24mm BOSS v1)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Vitos Extra Super Coco
Post-shave care: Barbero Alum Block
Post-shave care: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave/Fragrance: PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum Aftershave Cologne

Three passes + touch-up. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Outstanding shave! :)

PXL_20201115_191627021.PORTRAIT-02.ORIGINAL.jpg

Prep: Hot shower and face wash with Pears soap
Pre: Proraso Green pre-shave
Brush: Stirling Badger fan
Soap: Stirling Orange Chill
Razor:Rockwell 6s Plate 4
Blade: Feather (2nd use)
A/S: Proraso green splash

One of my favourite combos from the summer makes a return in mid-November thanks to Shave Roulette (luckily it’s still quite mild, my bathroom isn’t heated!!

After discovering CosmoBarber Shaving’s excellent lathering video my lathers have gone to a whole new level. The Orange chill works so well with the Proraso Green line and it sure wakes you up! Rockwell on plate 4 (probably my favourite plate) with a feather produced an irritation and nick free DFS+ with just a couple of slight rough patches against the grain in the usual neck based trouble spots preventing a true BBS. A sold 9/10 though. I just want to share my appreciation for the Badger and Blade forum which has really helped me dial in my technique over the last twelve months - the whole NO PRESSURE thing is finally sinking in!

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Sunday morning shave

Razor: The Torrey Razor Co.
Brush: Badger
Soap: Lea

A fine shave this morning! Lea hard soap provides an abundant protective lather and great post shave feeling. It claims it’s for sensitive skin, very nourishing. My wife always comments when I splash on Clubman, her favourite I think. Mental note, get more Clubman. Happy Sunday!

EA1ACBA4-B793-40BF-B621-03A466764272.jpeg
9/10

Razor: 1941 Gillette Ranger Tech TTO
Blade: Astra SP (5)
Brush: Vulfix Super Badger
Soap: Stirling Texas on Fire
Rating: 9.8

Morning shave on 3.5 days of growth. BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes; no irritation, and no nicks. Great shave. The blade was stumbling a bit - not sure if the blade is finished or if this was just a result of almost four days of stubble.

Evening shave, about 36 hours' worth of beard

Gillette Tech, postwar, fat-handled, champange gold, with a Derby Premium blade (2)

Proraso Green cream

APShaveCo synthetic tuxedo brush

Clubman SR aftershave, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

A little change today: I washed my face, skipped the hot towel, face-lathered the Proraso, and started shaving after 2 minutes instead of 3. All went well, 1 pass WTG and 1 ATG on the throat, except that once again I got a little carried away with my lower lip and got a weeper on the left half. I've gotta stay with just one pass on that! Otherwise, smooth and clean, no irritation. Verdict: 9.0.

My Sunday Afternoon Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth​
Two pass shave: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: Le Grelot 5/8​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red Cream, Sandalwood & Shea Butter​
Brush: Vie-Long Horse Hair​
Soap: Williams Mug Shaving Soap​
Toner: Thayer's Original Witch Hazel​
Aftershave: Proraso Red After Shave Lotion, Sandalwood Oil and Shea Butter (First time using this)​
Rating: 8.8/10
  • Very nice shave overall. The shave went quickly even though I was not rushing. (One of my issues with SR shaving is how long it takes me.) My SR journey continues
  • One nick that needed attention. I was heading for a DFS, but the nick towards the end and the AS caused a downgrade
  • No irritation until I used the Proraso AS - OUCH! That was a surprise! First time using this. The scent seems pretty strong for me (plus my wife gave me a "thumbs down"). I knew there was alcohol in it, but I sure was surprised. I will give it a try again...

BIRTHDAY SHAVE - Got a haircut this morning - high and tight - trim ears and eyebrows, shave neck. Came home to shave in shower - used 10-year old (but still good) Kiss My Face Fragrance Free Cream (in pump bottle), Phoenix Starcraft brush, Gillette Big Fellow shaver with (day three) Silver Blue Blade, two passes before cold water rinse, Myrsol Metisol A/S - will round it out with a bit of GIT once the Metisol scent wears off (in about an hour). BBS with no scrapes, cuts or weepers - 10 out of 10! I pity the fellows who have not discovered the pleasures of old time wet shaving!!!!View attachment 1182629

Happy Birthday!

Pre: Shower
Soap: DG YRP
Razor: Karve D plate
Blade: Polsilver SI
Brush: Viking Soap L7 Odins Beard

Shave: 9.5/10. Sublime 2 1/2 pass shave. Slick lather with a beautiful scent. Not sure why I use any other blade other than the Polsilver. It just works for me.
5B96D6B4-8BE7-484A-93D2-8D38627D6E57.jpeg

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Very busy morning...late night shave...lost electric...shave by lantern light...I'm not kidding.

Rating: 8/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Bay Rum soap
Soap: Chiseled Face Tradewinds
Brush: Maggards Synthetic
Razor: Karve Brass SB (Plate B) w/Tibam brass handle (Ohio)
Blade: Kai SS (2)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Thayers Witch Hazel

Well...what was a realistic expectation for a shave by lantern light? Soap was excellent...smelled great... good protection. Some stubble spots on my neck...overall considering the circumstances...not bad. No blood or injuries of any kind.

No pictures this evening.

Happy shaves, Everyone.

Top Bottom