What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

or plate number 2
suitable for a good shave ?????

Yes, plate number 2. It is certainly suitable for a good shave. You must certainly pay more attention to your angle for efficiency sake, and/or if your like me, you might just have to add a pass (for me that would be a 4 pass as opposed to 3 pass) to get as close as possible, but tis a poor craftsman that blames his tools. As a for instance, I have both a vintage gillette tech, as well as a Fatip Piccolo in the mail. I have and will get good shaves with both of them, and I find that they are at difference ends of the aggression spectrum.

IMG_3119.JPG

9.9/10
Razor/Blade: 1914 Ever-Ready /Gem PTFE
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia
Cream: TOBS Grapefruit
AS: Lucky Tiger

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
OCtober 30th, Fri, 2020

Razor: Razorock SLOC- Mfg 2018> excellent razor paired with a Kai SS blade IMO, Very smooth combination & Carefree shave also.
Blade: KAI SS (1) Excellent blade, Smooth & sharp + .009" extra wide than standard for better blade feel.
Soap: Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore Firenze, Top tier soap in my collection with excellent scent and lather qualities!
Brush: Yaqi lucky dice tuxedo knot 26 mm- great lather creator with back bone & those cloud like soft tips.
Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Pinaud Clubman with witch Hazel + a dollop of AVON "true gent" balm. I like their balm.
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers= :a17: Excellent shave with my RR SLOC razor paired with a KAI ss blade.

OCtober 30th, Fri, 2020.jpg

Have some excellent shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Friday Shave (Travel Shave)
Pre-shave: Shower/PAA Preshave
Razor: 1976 Super Speed
Blade: Gillette PermaSharp (1)
Brush: WildWest Brush Works 24mm Synthetic Tuxedo Knot (Blue Swirl)
Soap: Captain's Choice Bay Rum
Bowl/Mug: Travel Dog Bowl
Post Shave: Captain's Choice balm

Today's is my dad's 76th birthday. It's the first birthday of his since I started wet shaving, and i used his restored '76 Super Speed.

Had a nice, comfortable shave today, but nicked myself on my adam's apple. No irritation.

I still haven't shown him his razor since I got it restored, but since I have to drop mom's dog off (I'm traveling because I brought her dog to Auburn for chemo), I'll show it to him.

Have to check out soon, so keeping this short..

Today's shave quality is 8.75/10.

2020-10-30.jpg

Razor: 1965 Schick Krona
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (2)
Brush: Ever Ready 100T handle with synthetic knot
Soap: Southern Witchcrafts "Druantia"
Aftershave: Southern Witchcrafts "Druantia"
Rating: 10/10 - It was such a pleasant shave (and a great scent) that it gets full marks even though I got a slight weeper on my Adam's apple!

Razor: Schick E2 Injector
Blade: Personna PTFE Injector (2)
Brush: DScosmetic 25mm Boar/Badger mix
Lather: Barrister & Mann - Hallows (Soft Heart)
Aftershave:Strike Gold - The Gipper
Additional Care:
Garland of Garlic, Oaken Stakes and a Crucifix
404CD001-1F2E-4580-A6CC-E696F95026BB.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.5/10
Can Vampires Smell Blood? 🩸
I nicked myself a couple times, but it was still an awesome shave.
I face lathered on the first pass, and quite frankly, it was too thick. I couldn’t feel the Schick on my face, and it kept clogging. A recipe for disaster when you’re breaking in one of these Personna PTFE blades. I caught my jaw and had to staunch some blood.
Anyway, back to my tried and true bowl lathering for the second pass. There was enough soap in the brush to fill the bowl with lather. Super slick soap plus super sharp Personna injector equals a BBS in two passes. (with another tiny nick on my lip).
I absolutely love the scent of the “The Gipper” aftershave. One of my very favorites. I’m going to order a spare bottle to keep in reserve.
I hate shedding blood this close to hallowe’en. It keeps me looking over my shoulder when I’m hiking in the ravine. I know they’re just coyotes, but they could be werewolves!

Walk softly and carry an oak stake!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Splashed face with hot water,
Lathered with TOBS sandalwood soap and a Kent BK4, reloaded after the first pass,
Shaved with three passes of an Israeli Personna (11) in an Edwin Jagger DE89,
Showered, and
Splashed on 4711 cologne as my aftershave.

You cannot really refer to an Israeli Personna as an Israeli red or PIR if it is in the blue UK packaging with red letters, can you?

I note there are other threads on soaps, hair care products, and so on. So to bundle it all into one place, in the shower I used Yardley lavender bar soap, as always, Suave shampoo, as always, and towel dried my hair and brushed it with a Kent military brush, as always. A creature of habit am I!

9/10. BBS and comfortable but an out of the ordinary need to reload my brush after the first pass.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Friday morning shave

Blade: Joseph Allen and Sons
Brush: Boar
Soap: Tabac

A fantastic shave with this resurrected razor. Different feel from my others, super smooth, nice weight. I will continue work on this project, but very satisfied early on. Love the Friday ritual of Clubman.
BECD0666-7FF2-43CB-8641-EEF27232DEEB.jpeg

9/10

Fri Oct 30th

Razor: K-1 Superspeed
Blade: Personna Israeli Red (4)
Soap: Barrister and Mann Reserve Fern
Brush: Omega 49 boar
Pre shave: Soak the brush and wet the face. Face lather.
Shave: Two passes, WTG and ATG everywhere besides upper lip. WTG and XTG on my upper lip
Post shave: Barrister and Mann Reserve Fern aftershave
Results: 8.5/10. BBS but an abundance of feedback from AS and lots of irritation after the fact.

The B&M soap paired with the boar is wonderful. I ALWAYS enjoy using this stuff. I have given the Personnas a fair shot in more than one razor and it's actually the least comfortable blade for me that I've ever used in all razors I've tried it with. I will say that the blade has been less irritating than when brand new but it's still nicking me and giving me unpleasant irritation on the ATG passes, which is something that I've never really had to deal with any other blade. Like a previous post though, my face feels the smoothest after two passes with this blade. I'll take DFS+ comfort over BBS though for every-day shaving. The B&M Reserve Fern aftershave was great as well. Such an old classic man scent that always puts me in a better mood for the day!

Eben Stone

Staff member
Prep: hot towel and Shave Secret
Blade: Personna Med Prep #2
Razor: Gillette New
Brush: Muhle syntheric
Soap: GFT sandalwood
Aftershave: alum, Thayers rose witch hazel, SV Opuntia

The software and hardware I used today were chosen randomly in the shave roulette game:

3 pass: hot WTG, lukewarm XTG, ATG. And an extra ATG pass on my jawline and chin.

Got a good shave today with my newly acquired Gillette New. Really smooth and efficient.

The previous issues I was having with GFT and no slickness seems to have been resolved by bowl lathering instead of face lathering. Maybe. I'm spoiled by SV Opuntia and TBS maca root. IMO GFT isn't in the same ballpark as those two.

👍

Last edited:
Yes, plate number 2. It is certainly suitable for a good shave. You must certainly pay more attention to your angle for efficiency sake, and/or if your like me, you might just have to add a pass (for me that would be a 4 pass as opposed to 3 pass) to get as close as possible, but tis a poor craftsman that blames his tools. As a for instance, I have both a vintage gillette tech, as well as a Fatip Piccolo in the mail. I have and will get good shaves with both of them, and I find that they are at difference ends of the aggression spectrum.

I understand ... for me personally the tiles 1,2,3 are unnecessary ...

I start shaving with the plate 4 => 6

Today is the same shave as yesterday. I did change the edt just because. This razor on day two appears to not be quite as agressive as I would have thought. It is so darn smooth this this Personna Red though. It is shocking, I could not get aggressive with my clean up passes or angles. It feels like the most work is done on xtg passes. Just a different feeling.

I end up with a BBS shave. I really like shaving and having zero irritation.

9.2/10

KM

PXL_20201030_143050821.PORTRAIT.jpg

20201029_082855.jpg

Razor: Valet AutoStrop VC2 Single Edge razor
Blade: Feather FHS10 single edge
Brush: Rudy Vey Badger & Blade 2020 Group Buy #4/30
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Shannon's Soaps Bay Patchouli Grapefruit
Aftershave: Pinaud Lilac Vegetal
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Rating 8.5
cartoon1603996402482.jpg

10/30/20 SOTD
Soap
- Declaration Grooming Yuzu, Rose, Patchouli
Brush - Ouma Mother lode
Razor - Wolfman WR2 1.15/1.35 SB WRH2
Blade - Sharks Chrome
Post-Shave - Thayer's
Fragrance - Declaration Grooming Yuzu, Rose, Patchouli

Todays shave was a 7/10 but only because I should have let my cuts and irritation from yesterday heal more. But once I started I wanted to finish. Two passes gave me a BBS but I think I like Gillette Silver Blue blades better in my wolfman then sharks. I'll save those for my Karve which I find work better for me. Really goes to show that every razor + blade + face combination is different.
10-30-20-sotd.jpg

1604084037509.jpeg

Brush: Wild West Brushworks “Alamo”/24mm AP Shave Co Synbad knot
Soap: Stirling Executive Man
Razor: Razorock Game Changer .84
Blade: Crystal
Splash: Stirling Executive Man
Balm: Calvin Klein Eternity
EdT: Stirling Executive Man

9/10: Sometimes people gift you things and they’re not awful.

Top Bottom