What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Tuesdays shave 1.jpg

Tuesday’s Shave

A second day with is PAA Big Shave Southwest 2020 CK-6 soap. Today’s brush was a Bigelow Super Silvertip. The razor was my Feather AS-D2 with a Feather blade. After a four-pass shave, I used cool water to remove any excess lather. I then applied Thayers Rose Petal WH followed by Neutrogena Triple Protect. After my shower, some Yves Saint Laurent cologne.

Good shave that would have been excellent except for two interrupting phone calls. 9.5/10

Never used a Gem carbon blade & never will! Gem Personna SS PTFE rocks every thing out there IMO.
Gem SS PTFE is Sharp & has great longevity + smooths out after a few shaves with using a Gem milder razor or just cork a few times.
This blade is just as Sharp as a Feather blade at first IMO but lasts twice as long or greater.

I couldn't agree with you more. The problem is I'm dutch and I have a few of these blades from my last tryablade.com order. I reached into the bag and this is what came out. Didn't figure it would be a disaster 3 shaves in and I have used these blades before.

Going forward I will probably stick with the PTFE blades. I do find shaves 3 and 4 are just AWESOME with them.

KM

Razor: Razorock GC68-P
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (4)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Pre-Shave: Proraso Green Refreshing and Toning Preshave with Eucalyptus Oil and Menthol
Lather: Dr Harris Arlington + Cremo Original

No issues. No irritation.
Pleasant and very close shave.

This shave is renewing my interest in hard tallow soaps.

Rating: 9.8/10

Razor: Timeless Bronze TRBR38
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Ever-Ready 250 Pure Badger Cased
Pre-Shave: Cremo Brushless Shaving Cream
Lather: Long Rifle Brown Bess
Aftershave: Pinaud Brandy Spice
Additional Care:
L'Occitane Cedrat balm
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Rating 10
PSX_20200518_090412.jpg

Interesting observation regarding the Slant singing. How old is your Slant? I bought mine in 2013 or so, and mine makes no sound at all when shaving and also gives little to no feedback. It gives a super close, comfortable shave, but before I learned to accommodate the lack of sound or feedback, I tore my face up quite well.
I have a similar experience with a recent Merkur 37C. However, no singing. It shaves too close for me to make it my daily driver.

Razor: Merkur 34C HD
Blade: Astra SP (1)
Brush: RazoRock Barber 24 synthetic
Soap: Cella in the red tub
Rating: 9.5

First shave with a brand new HD. I started DE shaving with a Merkur 23C long handle 7 years ago, which was great for a beginner: not dangerously aggressive, but efficient enough for a day in the office. Eventually, I moved on to other razors because I wasn't a fan of the long thin handle.

I finally ordered the HD in case Merkur closed up shop. It seems like the closed comb head is a little different from the 2013 model: more rounded grooves on the safety bar, and a sandblasted look on the underside of the base plate and cap. Also, the shave felt milder than what I remembered from this head. Perhaps this is due to the new mold designs implemented a few years ago.

Anyway, this HD gave me an easy, safe, carefree, near BBS shave today with a 3 pass wtg/xtg/atg effort. A little stubble 6 hours later, so taking off .5 from the rating.

I highly recommend this as a first DE or as a daily rush/hurry razor.

I have a similar experience with a recent Merkur 37C. However, no singing. It shaves too close for me to make it my daily driver.
Just find a gentler blade for it. For every blade there is a razor and for every razor a blade. That’s my philosophy and I’m sticking to it.

Razor: Blackland Blackbird
Blade: Gillette Nacet
Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
Lather: Stirling Gentleman
Aftershave: Ogallala Bay Rum
Additional Care: Razorock Alumn / Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel / Kiels Ultra Facial Cream
9.0/10

Second shave with the Blackbird. No complaints. Switched over to the 101mm handle and it made a huge difference for me. The shave was not very smooth. First time using the Stirling Gentleman soap and I was in a bit of a hurry this morning so I did not get the right mix of water to soap. Very little glide. I'll get it right next time.

3 pass shave. BBS except for a missed spot on my chin.

Razor: Ralf Aust SR
Brush: Chubby 1 Manchurian
Soap: Mikes Vetiver (sample)
AS: Thayers + Nivea Sensitive

Another great SR shave this morning. I am quickly becoming a convert to this form of stubble removal. It’s fun and very effective. Mikes really is one of my favorite soaps. It’s so good. Not sold on the Vetiver Scent but the base is fantastic. 2 pass + touch up = CCS.

Razor: WWII era Gillette Fat Handle Tech
Blade: Personna 74 original Tungsten
Soap: Vintage Aramis tallow
Brush: Made-Rite reknotted with a TGN Finest fan
Aftershave: Clubman
Rating: 10+
I get BBS shaves every day, no chasing involved but today's was super smooth. I don't know who made that old shaving soap for Aramis but I wish I did. Damn!

Top Bottom