What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Not the best pairing of blade, possibly something sharper is more suited to the Charcoal Goods, but a smooth, close and uneventful shave.
9/10.
Resizer_16118461020470.jpg

Pre-shave: Proraso Green
Soap: Arko
Razor: Modified Gold Dollar
Brush: Omega boar
Aftershave: Skin Bracer

Straight shave #9.

Last night I found an old pair of jeans that I haven't worn in years and had the idea to make a make-shift denim strop, because I was bored when I should have been working. Fixed some denim around my Gillette Heritage cardboard box (lol) and found my box of Dovo strop paste. Unsure if my blade needed it or not, I proceeded to put some of the black paste on the denim strop and gave the razor 5 laps, and took it to leather for a while.

I guess the edge needed it. After 8 newbie shaves, it indeed needed a touchup, and the edge felt great this morning. A small weeper on my cheek but otherwise, my best shave yet. No irritation/aftershave burn. Happy I decided to strictly limit myself to the straight for the time being because this shave, #9, is pretty darn near the end result of a DE shave that I expect. Very happy about it. I also lightly sanded out the nicks on my leather strop to smooth it out.

Having fun.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD, Thur, Jan 28th 2021

Razor: Razorock Game changer .84- MFG 2018>, mid range<, works well with a KAI SS blade for myself, well built SS razor IMO.
Blade: Kai SS (4) excellent blade, Sharp & smooth with great longevity + wider than a standard Gillette blade by .009">blade feel.
Soap: Gillette Pure cream, nice scent with great lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24mm Sagrada Familia- named after a famous Cathedral in Barcelona Spain( I visited it myself), excellent lather generator with cloud like soft tips + great scrubber & lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Fine fresh Vetiver with Witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 2 small blemish weeper= :a17: Excellent shave with my RR GC .84 with a Kai SS blade.
SOTD, Thur, Jan 28th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay and think safe in these times!

My first perfect shave !!!

No cuts, no weepers, no irritation, no leftover stray hair - it's as if I went back in time to when my facial hair hasn't grown yet.

Razor : RazoRock Game Changer OC 84
Brush : RazoRock Beehive
Blade : Willy's (2)
Stick : Arko :001_wub:
A/S : Alum rub and Anherb ASC

BBS + Confirm
Shave (heartless) : 10/10
:a5:

Attachments

• IMG_20210128_204059.jpg
    IMG_20210128_204059.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 3
Pre-shave: Proraso Green
Soap: Arko
Razor: Modified Gold Dollar
Brush: Omega boar
Aftershave: Skin Bracer

Straight shave #9.

Last night I found an old pair of jeans that I haven't worn in years and had the idea to make a make-shift denim strop, because I was bored when I should have been working. Fixed some denim around my Gillette Heritage cardboard box (lol) and found my box of Dovo strop paste. Unsure if my blade needed it or not, I proceeded to put some of the black paste on the denim strop and gave the razor 5 laps, and took it to leather for a while.

I guess the edge needed it. After 8 newbie shaves, it indeed needed a touchup, and the edge felt great this morning. A small weeper on my cheek but otherwise, my best shave yet. No irritation/aftershave burn. Happy I decided to strictly limit myself to the straight for the time being because this shave, #9, is pretty darn near the end result of a DE shave that I expect. Very happy about it. I also lightly sanded out the nicks on my leather strop to smooth it out.

Having fun.

Sounds like you're liking your Journey.
That's great! Me too [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Razor: AutoStrop Valet VC3 (1935-1940?) Gold Wash
Blade: AutoStrop - “Valet” (Vintage) (6)
Brush: Dscosmetic - Citrine/Black Handle 26mm Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Face Wash & Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: St James of London - Sandalwood & Bergamot
Aftershave: Ariana & Evans - Spartacus
18061A0B-E0C8-4D40-BEE0-39C9D62E3C69.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.9/10
Zounds!...Gadzooks!...Does it get any better than this?
This is the sixth shave for this “Vintage” blade, and it just keeps getting smoother and smoother. I installed it in my VC3, and stropped it the usual twenty times before use. It rewarded me with a luxurious BBS that could match my Rockwell 6S.
I warmed up the St. James lather by floating my copper bowl in hot water and lovingly applied it with a nice soft brush. A very “Spa” like shave. A little splash of Spartacus with its Adventus essence and I can only think of one thing to say... Zounds!

20210127_081206.jpg

Razor: Valet AutoStrop VC1 Single Edge Razor
Blade: Feather FHS10 single edge
Brush: Rubberset 203 in Super Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Fine American Blend
Aftershave: Proraso Green Splash
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten. This was my first shave with this razor and it really outperformed my VC2 model. Great shave!

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
How do you like that WCS Silvertip? I have the same in blue and used it for the first time today. I have only used synthetics before. It worked well but it’s a lather hog compared to my synthetic brushes.
I just recently purchased this brush, and I've had the same experience as you. I really like this brush, it's great for face lathering and feels like a soft pillow. The knot is a lot larger than I expected, since I've only used 26mm boar and synthetic brushes before buying this one. I really love the few Silvertip brushes I recently purchased much more than anything I've used before, but still enjoy my synthetic and boar brushes also.
I think in the future I will limit my Badger brush purchases to 24 mm, but still love this one 26mm pillow. 😁

Thursday Shave

Pre-shave: Shower/hot washcloth/PAA The Cube
Razor: Gillette Pre-War Fat Handle Tech
Blade: Perma-Sharp (4 or 5.. don't remember)
Brush: WCS 26mm Pure Badger Beacon Ancient Stone
Soap: William's Mug (new formula)
Bowl/Mug: 3D printed shave bowl
Post Shave: Sea Breeze/Nivea balm/The Ordinary hyaluronic acid drops
AS: Clubman Special Reserve

72hrs or growth
Getting ready for another trip to Auburn...
Decided to pull out a razor that I'm not sure I've even used.. RAD is real..
Since I'm out of artisan soaps in rotation, William's Mug got the nod.
While my WCS brush was soaking, I loaded the Perma-Sharp in the Tech, let the hot washcloth sit on my face for a few minutes, and applied The Cube.
After my brush had soaked, I loaded it with the William's for about 10 seconds, and then started making my lather in my 3d printed bowl. Had to add a spoonful of water the the soap, and the lather just flowed forth..
Lathered up my face, and set about doing a 3 1/2 pass shave..
3 full passes (WTG/XTG/ATG), and a 4th cleanup on the neck.
The resulting shave is excellent! Did have a few red dot on my right cheek, but they washed away.
After I cleaned the residual soap from my face and dried it, I wiped down my face with a cottonball soaked with Sea Breeze. Nice burn feedback! The cottonball left no fibers behind, but did let me know that a couple of pieces of stubble remained on my adam's apple. The hair grown in every direction there, and I can live with the minor sandpaper left, as I prefer to avoid irritation, and nicks. Everything is perfectly smooth WTG and XTG. Like I said, very minor sandpaper ATG in a couple of spots.
After the Sea Breeze wipe down, I put 2 drops of the hyaluronic acid in a dollop of the Nivea, and after I let it soak in, a splash of CLubman Special Reserve.

Overall a DFS++ shave this morning.

No nicks: 5
No irritation: 5
Closeness: 4.9
Smoothness: 5
Total: 9.95

28th.jpg

- Prep: Hot washcloth and Proraso Red preshave
- Brush: Spiffo Manchurian
- Razor: Ball End Tech
- Blade: Treet Platinum SS (2)
- Soap: First Canadian Shave MFer
- Aftershave: First Canadian Shave MFer
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose and Hyaluronic Acid

Loving my new Spiffo. Great brushes. The Treet in the Tech was ok but a few weepers. The FCS soaps and AS may have stupid names but they are very high quality.

8.5/10

Razor: Maggard open comb (Parker open comb head) with Maggard HD-style stainless handle.
Blade: Israeli Personna Red Platinum Chrome (1)
Brush: Muhle Silvertip Fibre synthetic, medium size
Soap: Stirling Coniferous
Rating: 9.2

Today's shave after a little over two days of growth. BBS everywhere except on the Adam's apple after WTG/XTG/ATG passes, with one nick under the lower lip. No post-shave irritation.

The Stirling soap performed well, as usual, but I experienced a lot of blade feel and harshness and felt that the blade was scraping rather than cutting the whiskers. This surprised me because I have found the Maggard/Parker open comb head to be very smooth and efficient for me in the past.

The only variable: blades - I always used Personna Lab Blues with this razor in the past, and today was the first time that I used an IP Red blade in this razor (although I have had good results with IP Reds in other razors).

Today’s shave:

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Duke 3 best
Soap: Sudsy Soapery Top o’ the Morning
Razor: Tech fat handle NDC
Blade: Astra SP(1)
Rating: 9.9/10

Another shave, another rep with my Duke 3. I didn’t notice any funk today so now all my badger brushes are defunked completely! Got major BAD during the Christmas season (4 new Simpsons) but I think I’m done for now until I find a great deal on an M7.

As for the shave itself? Two pass WTG and XTG for a DFS++ result with 0 irritation, and 0 nicks or cuts. .1 taken away for a couple hairs right under my nose that I didn’t get on the second pass. These old Gillettes have really been impressing me shave after shave. Dare I say that I might prefer my Techs over my AS-D2...

Finished up with the Sudsy aftershave. It’s really nice stuff but I do prefer the alcohol burn that my other aftershaves leave me with.

5ADF340A-D20A-4F64-9239-CC37C56B46DA.jpeg

Top Bottom