What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Edwin Jagger DE87 UFO/GSB blade(2) Arko!/Trumper Rose frankensoap/Made Rite pur
20230602_085333.jpg
e badger refurb/Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel/Old Spice Aftershave. 1 weeper away from a 10.

Friday Shave: What is so interesting about wet shaving for me is that every shave that requires a new blade, soap/cream, pre and post shave product, etc. makes that shave a totally new and exciting experience. It gives me that young child feeling when you would get a new toy or present. With the exception of the possibility of cutting oneself, this takes me right back to those carefree days of "Buy me something".

Pre: PAA Cube 2.0
Bowl: Pereira bowl
Brush: Simpson T3
Soap: Terry's Soap (first time use. very nice clean scent and it lathers very quickly. good protection and slickness.)
Razor: Blackland Blackbird Ti. (love this tool.)
Blade: Feather (2). I am not yet a fan of this blade. It is sharp, but the level of sharpness seems to go way up after 1st use.
A/S: Terry's Soap A/S. (great scent, not over bearing, and it seems to have some moisturizing characteristics.)

SCORE: 9.5/10. The Feather blade caused a couple of minor nicks. (Couldn't possibly have been my fault!)

IMG_0530.jpeg

Last edited:

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Friday’s shave.
Razor: Gillette Fatboy setting 6. This is the one I wanted to use yesterday.
Blade: Asco SS 1st use. This SS is definitely smoother than the platinum version.
Soap: RazoRock Alchemy. Tallow version.
Brush: Trafalgar T2
Preshave: Hot rag.
Postshave: Thayers Witch Hazel, Proraso green aftershave, Proraso white balm.
Alum feedback : face-almost zero. Neck-medium.
Smooth: 9.6/10
Close: 9.6/10
Soap: 9.3/10 RazoRock soaps are a good bang for the buck.

IMG_6097.jpeg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20230601_225451~2.jpg

Razor: Joris Classic - Thujawood and Palladium
Blade: Bolzano (Germany) (5 and retired)
Brush: AP Shave Co Jade (@apshaveco 26mm Synbad Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Lather & Wood Shaving Co. Sandalwood
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Musk
Balm: Nivea Sensitive Cool

Excellent DFS shave! :cool:

Please visit my Journal (link below) for shave notes and musings: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12265647

1685720006577.jpeg

Pre-Shave
Warm shower. Face wash with Glyce followed by a warm washcloth.
Soap/Cream
Fine Italian Citrus
Brush
Omega 10048 Boar
Razor
Frankenrazor - R41 Head (brass) on a Weber SS Long Handle
Blade
Personna Blade (4th use)
Aftershave
Witch Hazel/Osage Rub mix, Duke Cannon AS Balm
Fragrance
Aqua Velva Ice Blue
Rating
9/10
Comments
One day growth.

It's forecast to be in the 90s today. The Osage Rub / WH mix plus the Duke Cannon Ice Cold AS balm gave a nice cooling menthol kick. My R41 head/Weber SS Handle Frankenrazor provided another great shave. The Fine soap lather was a bit thick for my liking. I haven't used it in a while and forgot how much water it can take. That said, it was still very serviceable.

Happy Friday!

Cheers!

Friday Shave -

IMG_3925.jpeg

Pre-Shave: Hot Shower, Proraso White

Badger: RazoRock Barrel STB
Blade: Astra SP

Razor: A4 Flair Tip
Soap: RazoRock The Dead Sea
After-Shave: Cold Water Splash, GFT Alum, PAA Star Jelly

Rating: 9/10

Notes: BBS-. Great clean shave. Good performances by all the hardware and the soap. Can’t complain at all.

06/02/23
14 day shave
First pass with trimmers
Preshave: Proraso Green
Brush: Omega Evo
Soap: Proraso Green
Razor 1: 1930's Rotbart Mond Extra Short Comb Raised Flat Bottom
Razor 2: Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB on a @Rosseforp GTB handle
Blade: Vintage Personna Super Platinum Chrome (3)
Aftershave: Proraso Green
DFS 9.5 little red but not much.

I forgot to soak my Zenith so I decided to use my only synthetic, the Omega Evo. Always a good experience. I used my favorite two razors again in conjunction. The WR2 could have handled it alone, but, the open comb first helps. I have an RFB in both Short Comb and Long Comb and the short comb is the better razor. At least for multiple days growth. My long comb version always fills up with whiskers too quick. Vintage Personna Blade sharp and smooth on the third shave. Really nice using Proraso after so long.

Perfect 10+ out of 10 today. No issues whatsoever. Even went round 5 with the Personna USA. Stuck with the 1.5 on the Futur.

Tried out a combo today that I didn't think I'd like and almost tried to return it. Neon Otter Norther Elixir. That stuff just smelled way too much like peppermint essential oil. I was afraid it was going to be a little too candy for my liking.
Man, was I wrong.

Preshave was hot shower and soap, along with some Prorasso Green preshave cream.

Once again, I got too much cream out of the container and ended up with much more lather than needed.
The stuff did lather well for me though!

My face was already cool from the Prorasso Green, but after painting this Northern Elixir on for a minute, I really began to feel the cooling from it. And it was comfortable.

It seemed super slick as well. The Futur and Personna (5) glided down my face with just the twang of feed back from my wiskers being cut and resonating through the razor.

One pass down and second pass against the grain for my neck.

Rinsed with cold water. My face felt like I was walking around on a sub-zero day in February!

Zero feedback from alum.

The Northern Elixir aftershave was excellent too. Not as pepperminty but I don't know the words to explain it. I like it.

My first true BBS. No irritation whatsoever. Perfect shave.

I'm not at all a pro or hobbiest photographer so I'll leave you with small images.

Good shaves to you, Gentlemen.

BCF044C7-D6BB-42E8-AF9F-1A3AFB70821C.jpeg

20650792-69E3-4811-AB34-75200BA48A43.jpeg

Happy Birthday @Happy Jack and @FarmerTan, many happy returns!

SOTD June 2nd- 10/10, BBS, a fine shave with no mishaps, after two days and three passes. I decided to go back to a SE razor today with the Occam's SE; quite different, but quite effective:

Occam's SE with a Feather SE Pro blade (1), a New Forest badger brush, PdP No. 63 soap, and just a splash of Clubman to finish.

Have a wonderful weekend :)

PXL_20230602_183833457.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Face Shave
Proraso Red Pre Shave Cream
Nivea Liquid Sensitive Shave Cream
Gentleman's Face Care Club Badger Friendly Shave Brush
BIC Chrome Platinum 4th/5/6/7 pass
Edwin Jagger Kelvin
Nivea Post Shave Cool Balm
8.5/10

Decent but not special shave today,with several days growth to hack away
Used BIC platinum blade for 4 passes 1WTG 1ATG 1WTG 1AOTPGH (all over the place grain hackjob)
Not sure what to make of the BIC - the 1st two passes where fine but not great,with no nicks/cuts - so did another 2 passes to get a decent result-which is where i got a nick from.
One pass too many i think-do not try to chase a BBS shave be happy with a good decent shave.
I wil be trying either Nacet or Permasharp next not sure which ?

IMG_20230602_173403.jpg

Top Bottom