What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: Eagle Safety Razor Co. - Improved “Above ‘Em All” 1910
Blade: GEM (Personna) PTFE - Modified for Eagle Improved (1st)
Brush: FS - 28mm G4 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser
Lather: Officina Artigiana - Milano
Aftershave: Barrister & Mann Reserve - Cool
49EFC809-DCD9-4454-91C6-065C3A3C9F14.jpeg

63739F67-D709-4F67-A653-E89800534923.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.9/10
The Eagle has landed!
I’ve had this Eagle razor for a while but it took me a while to sit down and modify a blade to fit it. It really wasn’t any big deal and @Flintstone65 had a nice pictorial of his Eagle blade modification to refer to.
That done, I could tell from the first stroke that this was going to be a highly efficient shave. Luckily the razor had enough feedback to remind me that I was using a brand new GEM PTFE blade…“so don’t get cocky!”.
Efficient? You betcha! Down to the hardwood in two passes. Even the tough whiskers in the uneven terrain of my chin that usually take lots of sanding magically disappeared…Poof!
As close as this shave was I expected a lot more burn from the AS splash than I got. I’m looking forward to seeing how this razor evolves as this GEM blade becomes broken in.
I don’t know if this razor is really “above ‘em all”, but it sure is soaring with the best of ‘em.

Last edited:
A very careful shave of a 48-hour beard:

Gillette Slim from '62/Personna Red blade (2)

Trumper's Almond Cream; some La Toja stick as a pre-shave

AP Shave Co. synth brush

Pre- and post-shower: Clubman Special Reserve; Assured lotion and Clubman powder, after

The left cheek area I nicked lightly on Saturday still looks a little irritated, so I let my face go for 2 days. Face wash with Irish Spring, a little La Toja as a pre-shave, then I loaded the brush with Trumper's and face-lathered. Pass 1, setting 5, WTG; pass 2, setting 4, ATG; cleanup on 4, XTG. Very smooth with no irritation or nicks.

Verdict: 9.4.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
It's be kind to my face week!

Monday's shave

Pre-shave:
shower & Proraso red preshave cream
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89
Blade: Schick Plus Platinum #2
Soap: Stirling Varen (Mutton Tallow)
Brush: B&B Anniversary Omega Boar
Post shave: Thayer's WH, followed by Floid The Original A/S

DFS+, 9.5 / 10

Well, enough experimentation. With razors, with blades, with lathers, with all of it. My skills have taken a big tick upward lately, but my face feels a little like well-used road at this point. I used a PIF'd Fatip Grande yesterday (v1, which I will come back to) and decided it is time to dial it back a bit.

So, for the rest of this week, I'll be using my original shaver, the EJ DE89, with a vintage Schick Plus Platinum blade. I will use either Stirling Varen or Cella Extra Extra Bio only this week. And the Floid, it has alcohol, but never gives me much burn and has other ingredients in it that make my face feel good. No Pinauds this week, even with added glycerin! Very nice shave today. I should be in tip-top shape come next Sunday when I'll try the Fatip again.

I still got a very close shave today, without really working at it, and I really did not do any touchups. Three normal passes and done, much closer than I used to get on a workday "normal" shave.

2021-10-25_shave.jpg

Last edited:
Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Hawkins and Brimble Face Wash
- Jack Black Face Buff Scrub
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave oil
- Arran Lochranza Shaving Cream

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Osma Alum Block
- Stirling Tea Tree, Witch Hazel & Aloe
- Hylamide Skin Serums
- Arran Lochranza Aftershave Balm

Tools
- Gillette Slim Adjustable
- Israeli Red (4)
- Zenith 506N XS Horse

Fragrance for the day:
- Penhaligon's The Blazing Mr Sam EDP

Shave Rating: 8.5/10
First shave with this brush (or any horse brush) and wow! It's labeled extra soft and it had no scritch at all, very soft tips. Its a bit floppy but the dense Zenith knot makes up for this. Glad I decided to try a horse knot and will probably add a couple more!
Overall a pleasant and irritation free shave, some Alum sting but only from a couple of spots/pimples.

Shave 1.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap
Soap/Cream
GD Asinus
Brush
Simpson Chubby II in Best
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Merkur 37C
Blade
Kai
Aftershave
Thayers WH & L’Occitane ASB
Fragrance
Versace, The Dreamer
Rating
10/10
Comments
Third shave in a row with the Merkur 37C and Kai blade. Once again, the razor-blade combo was outstanding. An incredibly smooth, close shave. 44th use of the GD Asinus soap. A nice, slick lather. A perfect shave today: BBS with no irritation. Have a great day.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - Cremo Bourbon Vanilla shave cream (brushless, applied by hand - tube)
Soap: Captain's Choice Bay Rum
Brush: Semogue Pharos synthetic
Razor: RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72
Blade: Silver Star (2)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Stirling Witch Hazel & Aloe (Bay Rum scent) - Lucky Tiger face tonic
AS: PAA Blue Samhain (from a sample)

It's like a replay of my last shave except with the .72 Lupo. Another mindless, brilliant Lupo shave. No picture today...pressed for time. Captain's Choice soaps...once again...fantastic.

Happy Shaves, Everyone.

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Timeless Ti .68 SB
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Soap: Barrister & Mann Reserve Classic
Bowl: PAA Blue Travel Scuttle
Brush: Semogue 1305 Badger
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Proraso Red AS
Rating: 9.75/10 Excellent 2 pass BBS with two touch ups. Four tiny weepers my fault for over buffing, no cuts or irritation. Overall a very good shave.

10/10
Very nice shave this morning :)

-Blackland Brassbird SB
- Feather (1st)
-Sawdust Creations 26mm Shoat boar knot
-Capt Choice Copper Bowl

-PAA Ice Cube
-SW Fougere Nemeta set

Very smooth shave with the Blackbird and feather. No nics or irritation. Zero alum stinging. Just BBS.

This scent is so good. It's the brightest Fougere scent I've ever tried. It's supposed to be a spring scent but I love it year round. It's such a nice, bright, green scent. I ordered the EDT
20211024_215200.jpg

Razor: Gillette Black Handle SuperSpeed
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic - German (6)
Brush: Ever Ready 100T handle with synthetic knot
Soap: Mike's Orange, Cedarwood, & Black Pepper
Aftershave: Speick
Rating: 10/10 - Been using the SS more than usual, and have been enjoying it. A 48 year-old razor for a 48 year-old face!

Soap: Stirling Pumpkin Spice
Razor: Le Grelot 6/8
Brush: Trafalgar T2
Aftershave: Witch Hazel / VIBR
Balm: Nivea Sensitive

Dedicated September and (tried to) dedicate October to use up some of my DE blade stockpile I've had for ages and used up a bunch of blades, but once again I'm bitten by the straight razor bug. Might give myself one more legitimate OCtober shave with my Gillette NEW but after almost 2 months away from the straight razor, it's hard to even look at a double edge.

11/10

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Today is
MONDAY
25 October, 2021

______

Razor: RazoRock "Mamba 70"
Blade: Lord "Platinum"
Pre: CeraVe "Moisturizing Bar" + Elegance Plus gel
Brush: H.I.S 25mm synth
Lather: Stirling "Sandalwood"
Balm: CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion
Frag: Zizanie de Fragonad

Rating: 10/10

My pre-shave experiments continue.
Applied a light coat of CeraVe (bar),
followed by a good slathering
of Elegance Plus gel.

Then it was lather as usual.
Despite all the odd prep, I ended
up with a no-drama BBS shave!

Now I'm off to buy some
Snickers. (Wonder how
many will be left by
Halloween itself?)

Stay healthy,

Bill

Monday morning shave, two passes then clean up, 9++/10, close DFS+, first shave with the Maxwell June and a Red Personna was very good, no weepers or mishaps:

Pre-shave: warm shower w/ a goat's milk soap
Razors: Maxwell June twinned DE- the razor test continues; gave the razor a thorough cleaning, including an ultrasonic bath to make sure no residue was remaining before trying a new blade- went well
Blade: Red Personna (1)- shaved a bit like the Med Prep, loud and seemingly a bit rough to start then smoothed out nicely; I have a few of these tucks for years now, and I'm not sure which ones they are- are these the Israeli?
Brush: Simpson Berkeley 46 in best- small but nice; a great budget brush
Soap: Mike's Orange, Cedarwood, & Black Pepper- this was a gift from another member and I've been enjoying it; good lather, nice performance
Post-shave: cold rinse, then some Proraso green ASB- face feels great

Have a great week!

PXL_20211025_170703266.jpg

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Razor: Rockwell 6S, 4 plate
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless
Brush: Zenith aluminum boar
Soap: Tabac + Razorock
Growth: 2 days
Rating: 9/10

Multiple days’ growth usually yields a fantastic shave. Concluding it’s due to equal parts: 1) giving my skin a rest, and 2) longer whiskers are more pliable… just as it’s easier to cut a long limp rope rather than its stiff end.

B1084AAC-02D3-494F-B8F3-A94CA970E09D.jpeg

20211024_082045.jpg

Razor: Gem Micromatic Open Comb
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Seaforth! Heather
Aftershave: Seaforth! Heather Aftershave Toner
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten
11XZmjOcJBNPt6.gif

Prep: Hot shower
Soap: RazoRock Black Label
Razor: Karve CB Stainless, Brass SB-D plate
Blade: Nacet (4)
Afters: Pinaud Clubman

Three passes, minimal cleanup.

Rating; 10/10

The Karve SB-D seems to work like magic for me. The Black Label has a pleasant scent, performance is more than I would expect for the price.

My ATT Windsor SSH1 head arrived this morning, too late for the shave. I will try it tomorrow morning, although with a DE89 handle; according to USPS, my Atlas handle is "at a facility in CANADA ". Based on past experience, Canada Post may pick up the tracking thread, or it may just appear in the mailbox at some unknown time in the future.

Yes, the red tuck are made in Israel for the US market.

The blue package with red writing is also made in Israel, for the UK market. The blue package with gold are the new made in Germany.
Thanks much!
Brush: Col. Conk boar
This really is a fine pure bristle boar brush made in the UK for Col. Conk.
Some time ago it seems I heard these were made by Vulfix for Col. Conk.

Top Bottom