What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Shave 1.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap
Soap/Cream
Grooming Dept. Magnolia
Brush
Rooney 1/3 Silvertip
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Wolfman WR2 SB 1.05
Blade
Personna Med Prep
Aftershave
Thayers WH & PAA Neutrogena Triple Protect
Fragrance
Yves Saint Laurent
Rating
10/10.
Comments
Retired the Feather and picked up the Wolfman WR2 SB 1.05 loaded with a Personna Med Prep blade. Continuing using the same soap until it is used up. This time with a Rooney 1/3 Silvertip brush. Nice, rich lather and an excellent shave.

A 48-hour beard:

Gillette Slim from '62/Personna Red blade (2)

Palmolive Classic cream/La Toja stick soap as a pre-shave

AP Shave Co. synthetic brush

Proraso Green AS, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

After a quick face wash with Dial soap, I applied a little La Toja from the stick as a pre-shave, then loaded the brush with Palmolive and face-lathered. Then the Slim took center stage, set at 7 for pass 1 everywhere, WTG; 6 for the lower lip, then pass 2 on the throat. I could have stopped there, but went on to a quick pass 3 on the throat at setting 5 for a near-BBS. This is the highest I've ever set the Slim (barring 1 experiment where I went to 9). It seemed to work very well, no irritation. The lotion, Green, and powder followed after my shower.

Verdict: 9.6.

Razor: AutoStrop Valet VB2 (1927-1937?)
Blade: AutoStrop - “Valet” (Vintage) (7)
Brush: Semogue - Owner Club 24mm (Boar)
Pre-Shave: Innisfree - Jeju Volcanic Pore Cleansing Foam
Lather: St James of London - Sandalwood & Bergamot
Aftershave: Noble Otter - Monarch
66A6C184-66B4-48EC-B94E-18C6E7411C19.jpeg

Shave Rating: 8.0/10
Damn uncomfortable shave
Yep, I was glad to get this one over with. The thing is, in the back of my mind I was kind of expecting it. The shave was rough and tuggy, but I’m not necessarily going to blame the blade. I have about 15 of these Autostrops and it seems this particular VB2 always gives me a hard shave no matter the type or age of the blade. Every angle seems wrong.
A2ED61D7-38B5-4767-A433-D0A3B2D371E5.jpeg

The blade I used today was a vintage “Valet” on its seventh outing. I checked my notes, and the last shave I had with it was in a VC3 and was smooth as silk. I even gave it twenty strops before fitting it in the razor.
It seems to me that this particular razor always gives me grief. I know the V1 & V2 blade retention gates can loosen up over time, affecting the shave. @Sniperx was just saying that his VB2 is too mild and he wants to increase the agression. There seems to be no rhyme or reason.
I’m not holding a lot of hope, but I’ll give this razor one more chance with a different blade, but I have a feeling it’s life is doomed “for display only”.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Thursday, May20th 2021

Razor: Yaqi Excalibur V1- Mfg 2021> great soft mid range, easy to maneuver the face, great daily driver for some folks.
Blade: Chinese 50mm that came with my Shavette(1)- Surprized me with its sharpness & smooth, longevity? Did the job well IMO.
Soap: Razorock Don Marco- nice citrus scents with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi 24 mm Tuxedo knot with black marble handle :001_wub: - Excellent lather generator, nice scrub + cloud like soft tips + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock XXX with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:excellent shave with my Yaqi Excalibur V1 with a Chinese 50mm blade(brand:confused1).
SE SOTD, Thur, May20th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Soap: Stirling Pumpkin Spice
Razor: Wade and Butcher open comb DE
Blade: 7 O'clock SS (3)
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T2
Aftershave: Witch Hazel / Old Spice

The Wade and Butcher DE is basically a 3 piece Gillette Old Type (thick cap) dupe. It has square posts on the top cap which requires some modification to a blade to get it to fit, as they used proprietary blades back in the day. All in all, I do like this razor more than an actual Gillette Old Type. The handle is an absolute beast. It's the same handle on those Durham and Duplex razors. The base plate is a bit heavier than a real Old Type base plate too. The overall feel is more substantial and I feel it holds the blade a lot more securely.

One "hack" to get to use this razor without having to modify a blade is to just use the top cap from an Old Type, which is what I did today.

You don't see too many of these razors out there, which is too bad. They are excellent shavers. If you see one out in the wild, pick one up. I suggest using an Old Type top cap with it though so you don't have to play around with modifying a blade.

10/10

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Occam's OREN with Two Dot Plate
Blade: Feather Professional
Soap: Barrister's Reserve Spice
Bowl: N/A
Brush: Semogue TAJ Resin Handle Boar
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Stypic Pencil, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Proraso Red AS
Rating: 10/10 Excellent 2 1/2 pass BBS shave. Two weepers, No cuts or irritation. Excellent Shave. Face lathered today, nice lather, Got crazed doing pass under chin & on neck causing weepers.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
A Speick-tacular shave his morning. Having not used my Mach3 in quite some time, I loaded a fresh cart then proceeded to create a Speick superlather (face lathering). Just an effortless smooth 3 pass BBS. Finished with Speick AS. Honestly, the best shave I've had in a long while. 9.5/10.

Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 10.47.35 AM.png

Thursday morning- we're off for a long walk this morning to do some shopping for the little grandson's third birthday party on Saturday, two passes, plus clean up, 8/10, one weeper, one of those mediocre, uninspiring shaves:

Pre-shave: shower with Nivea body wash
Razor: Occam's razor- two-dot head,
Blade: Feather AC Pro (3)- blade should be terrific on this use
Brush: Semogue SOC cherry boar- been using this one for most days and it's breaking in well and a pleasure to use
Soap: House 99 shave stick, by David Beckham- meh, and meh again; I picked this up at TJ Maxx figuring that an Italian shave stick might be good- the scent is okay, but the stick felt more like an odd cream going on than a typical soap stick and although it seemed to lather okay, it did not provide much protection. I'll leave this one in the medicine cabinet here when I move on to my next stop over the weekend. Maybe I'll give it another go on my next visit.
Post-shave: cold rinse, then a good big splash of Fine American Blend to help with the very mediocre shave.

Hope your next shave is better than mine was this morning!

Here's today's picture:
PXL_20210520_121153690.jpg

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 9.5/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - Pinaud Clubman Classic Barber Shave Cream (Brushless - applied by hand.)
Soap: Fine Aquamarine
Brush: RazoRock Beehive Plisoft synthetic (The Big Orange!)
Razor: RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72
Blade: Feather (1)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Bay Rum-scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger aftershave tonic
AS: Fine Aquamarine splash

First use of this soap...excellent product. Absolutely love the scent...even a bit more than Goodfellas's Smile Abysso which has been my favorite aquatic for a while. Excellent shave. Took a risk slipping a Feather out of that old tuck I had hidden away in the bathroom cabinet. A couple of weepers...because of the sharpness of the blade??? Don't know. But it did the job, that's for sure. Half a point for the weepers...DFS/BBS otherwise. Fine Aquamarine smells fantastic.

Happy Shaves, Everyone.

Kit 20210520.jpg

Pre Shave: Musgo Lime Soap
Razor: Weber with the bulldog handle
Blade: Gillette Nacet (5th use)
Soap: TOBS Coconut
Brush: Omega Boar
Post Shave: Used excess lather to wash face and then rinsed with warm followed by cold water. Applied WH aftershave and Cremo balm. Ended with Pinaud Citrus Musk.
Rating: 8/10. The TOBS Coconut lathered wonderfully. The Gillette Nacet blade felt really smooth on the 5th use. No weepers. Chin and neck were slightly irritated from shaves earlier in the week, but everything felt fine. As a result, didn't blade buff or go over my neck more than once.

todayi feel like i got the best shave since i began wet shaving used proaso red pre shave creme with cella as my soap. using a new vander hagen blade in a month old open comb west coast shaving razor head with speick after shave. didnt get no burning from the aftershave.now its time to figure out if my technique got better or my pre shave prep is better now :laugh:good excuse to buy more stuff

20210519_082451.jpg

Razor: Schick J4 Schick 500 Hydro-Magic Black
Blade: Personna Injector
Brush: Rubberset 203 in Super Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Fine American Blend
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating 9.5.

Razor: AutoStrop Valet VB2 (1927-1937?)
Blade: AutoStrop - “Valet” (Vintage) (7)
Brush: Semogue - Owner Club 24mm (Boar)
Pre-Shave: Innisfree - Jeju Volcanic Pore Cleansing Foam
Lather: St James of London - Sandalwood & Bergamot
Aftershave: Noble Otter - Monarch
View attachment 1269427
Shave Rating: 8.0/10
Damn uncomfortable shave
Yep, I was glad to get this one over with. The thing is, in the back of my mind I was kind of expecting it. The shave was rough and tuggy, but I’m not necessarily going to blame the blade. I have about 15 of these Autostrops and it seems this particular VB2 always gives me a hard shave no matter the type or age of the blade. Every angle seems wrong.
View attachment 1269444
The blade I used today was a vintage “Valet” on its seventh outing. I checked my notes, and the last shave I had with it was in a VC3 and was smooth as silk. I even gave it twenty strops before fitting it in the razor.
It seems to me that this particular razor always gives me grief. I know the V1 & V2 blade retention gates can loosen up over time, affecting the shave. @Sniperx was just saying that his VB2 is too mild and he wants to increase the agression. There seems to be no rhyme or reason.
I’m not holding a lot of hope, but I’ll give this razor one more chance with a different blade, but I have a feeling it’s life is doomed “for display only”.
I just wanted to add a side note to this shave. In spite of how rough and uncomfortable the shave was, my post shave face feels fine with no sense of irritation or razor burn. Strange.

Thursday morning- we're off for a long walk this morning to do some shopping for the little grandson's third birthday party on Saturday, two passes, plus clean up, 8/10, one weeper, one of those mediocre, uninspiring shaves:

Pre-shave: shower with Nivea body wash
Razor: Occam's razor- two-dot head,
Blade: Feather AC Pro (3)- blade should be terrific on this use
Brush: Semogue SOC cherry boar- been using this one for most days and it's breaking in well and a pleasure to use
Soap: House 99 shave stick, by David Beckham- meh, and meh again; I picked this up at TJ Maxx figuring that an Italian shave stick might be good- the scent is okay, but the stick felt more like an odd cream going on than a typical soap stick and although it seemed to lather okay, it did not provide much protection. I'll leave this one in the medicine cabinet here when I move on to my next stop over the weekend. Maybe I'll give it another go on my next visit.
Post-shave: cold rinse, then a good big splash of Fine American Blend to help with the very mediocre shave.

Hope your next shave is better than mine was this morning!

Here's today's picture:
View attachment 1269402
Thanks for the heads up about that shave stick. I will avoid it if I see it.

Top Bottom