What's new

What Did You Learn From Your SR Shave Today?

I’ve read this same thought a few times here. I’m using film and pasted balsa as a cheap entry into honing, but want to move to naturals for a more comfortable edge once my honing technique improves.
I don't think you'll be disappointed once you start working with a good natural stone. My first edge off of a natural, an ILR, was a completely different experience and I was instantly hooked. Not that I don't get great edges from a 12K or 30K ceramic stone, but the edges are just smoother as well as sharp. Sometimes I still like a good 30K edge but I'll usually reach for a natural finish these days.

The other great thing is that you can build on it by adding a single rock here and there. Plus you always have something to fall back on as you try new things.
I like the idea of adding one stone at a time. Starting with a finisher seems like a good idea.

I get my best shaves with super sharp edges, so I’ll need a stone that can deliver those. But I’m sticking with film for now and I’ll have to make due by reading honing posts and looking at the pictures.

I like the idea of adding one stone at a time. Starting with a finisher seems like a good idea.

I get my best shaves with super sharp edges, so I’ll need a stone that can deliver those. But I’m sticking with film for now and I’ll have to make due by reading honing posts and looking at the pictures.
A good prefinisher and a nice hard Ark would be perfect. The prefinisher for a hard ark can just be a finisher.

I learned that my dog will eat 3/4 of a brand new stick of Arko, including the wrapper, before she realizes that it’s soap and tastes awful.

31BBFC55-DDDC-49BD-8465-C7C12AC392A7.jpeg

Eben Stone

Staff member
Over time, I think you will find that it was your technique that was lacking and not the edge being too sharp.

I have shaved with a shavette fitted with a new Feather DE half-blade. I also initially thought that that edge was too sharp. As my technique improved, I realised that it was not the edge. I can now shave comfortably with the Feather DE half-blade as well as one of my traditional SRs that can occasionally take a similar edge off 0.1μm diamond pasted balsa.

It takes great concentration, very light pressure against the skin and a very flat shave angle. Remember, the keener the edge the flatter the shave angle.
Yep, same razor but this time I maintained absolute focus on the angle and pressure. I was able to achieve a close and smooth shave and no drama.

I learned that a Kai Captain Titan Mild blade really struggles and stutters on the tough hairs along my jawline. The ark finished edge that I used 20 minutes later for cleanup (dry!) did not.

Lesson (re)learned: if I'm using a shavette I should remember to settle for DFS.

I learned that a Kai Captain Titan Mild blade really struggles and stutters on the tough hairs along my jawline. The ark finished edge that I used 20 minutes later for cleanup (dry!) did not.

Lesson (re)learned: if I'm using a shavette I should remember to settle for DFS.
Dry?
I need to try that.

Dry?
I need to try that.
I wouldn't recommend it generally 😁

The razor was on my dresser and I was annoyed by the stubble that remained under my chin so I just swiped it away. Could have ended badly as the skin was already a little raw from the actual shave. But, a feather light touch and a keen edge did the trick.

I wouldn't recommend it generally 😁

The razor was on my dresser and I was annoyed by the stubble that remained under my chin so I just swiped it away. Could have ended badly as the skin was already a little raw from the actual shave. But, a feather light touch and a keen edge did the trick.
I thought you ment the edge was finished on a dry ark. After reading your post again I don't understand why I got that from it:)

Top Bottom