What's new

What Did You Learn From Your SR Shave Today?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I am only 772 SR shaves in. Still enjoying the novelty. One day it may wear off 😞.
I’m going on 1,500 I guess by now but not sure and after a thousand or so, it just became a normal way of shaving and I didn’t experiment any more but SR remained the most pleasurable way to shave. Just keep going and one day, you’ll just realize you’ve found your groove. I’ve got about 30 razors of various sizes but only regularly use a handful of 4/8 and 9/16 but if I hadn’t used other sizes, I would have never found which I preferred so it just takes experience of different blades and variations of your shaving methods. I basically did exactly what you are doing and just settled into what I do. If you do get a small blade, starting with a 4/8 would give you a good contrast to 5/8 and 6/8. If you get to like the 4/8, then get a 9/16. The 9/16 is really sweet. I prefer quite hollow grinds on those too. The heavier grinds don’t do it for me. Don’t worry about their ability to hold enough lather; they hold plenty and they are a real pleasure to strop. You are plenty far enough it to understand the subtitles now. I did buy a good 7/8 once and sold it after a couple of shaves. It was a heavy beast and seemed to be more in control of the shave than I was. Those small blades behave as ordered amazingly well; they just don’t show as well in the photos.

It's easy. Once per day and just remember your start date.
I couldn’t do that, either. I still use DE razors, too. And on rare occasion, an SE razor. That might be possible if I used SRs exclusively or at least almost exclusively. I mix it up with all my razors.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
This morning I wanted to see what irritation, if any, I got from SR shaving. I prepared my face as normal, thoroughly washing with Pears Transparent (India) soap and rinsing well. Then I applied my normal aftershave splash, a mix of Dickinson's Witch Hazel (25%) and Wahl Bay Rum (75%), and noted the feel on my skin.

I then again washed my face, rinsed and commenced my normal three-pass shave; WTG, XTG+fool's pass and XTG in the opposite direction. The result was my normal DFS+.

After rinsing my face of all lather residue and slickness, I again applied my aftershave splash. There was no difference in feel compared to the pre-shave application.

What I learnt was that I really am getting irritation free shaves from my SR shaving routine.

This morning I wanted to see what irritation, if any, I got from SR shaving. I prepared my face as normal, thoroughly washing with Pears Transparent (India) soap and rinsing well. Then I applied my normal aftershave splash, a mix of Dickinson's Witch Hazel (25%) and Wahl Bay Rum (75%), and noted the feel on my skin.

I then again washed my face, rinsed and commenced my normal three-pass shave; WTG, XTG+fool's pass and XTG in the opposite direction. The result was my normal DFS+.

After rinsing my face of all lather residue and slickness, I again applied my aftershave splash. There was no difference in feel compared to the pre-shave application.

What I learnt was that I really am getting irritation free shaves from my SR shaving routine.
and that's why we hang onto our craft.....

our practice may viewed as archaic.........

wisdom and experience knows better of it.

camo

Yesterday I learnt when you switch from a few shaves on a thuri edge to a method edge it is very important to pay attention to your angles.

Today a learnt that, even if you can't see it under the foam, you can still reopen the cut you got yesterday.

It's a great feeling, isn't it.
Yes, very satisfying. The first time feels so odd and you wonder how you’ll ever get a good shave with it. Something clicked on my 3rd shave. A very long way to go before it’s natural, but there was a bit of a leap on the 3rd one and I felt I’d got over the first hurdle.

I realised I really need to up my honing game and my technique. I had to use some pressure which means my edge is poor.
I only accept BBS results.....

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have been shaving this week, starting last Monday, with my first real SR, a Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 in Madagascan mahogany scales. I hadn't shaved with this SR for many months.

Proraso brush.JPG

On the first day, I found the edge a little wanting. After that Monday morning shave, I put the SR through a full diamond pasted balsa strop progression. The Thursday shave was a noticeable improvement.

After Tuesday's shave another full balsa progression was applied. More improvement was noticed with Wednesday's shave. Another balsa progression on Wednesday and Thursday's shave showed just a very slight improvement.

A full balsa progression after Thursday's shave showed no improvement on Friday over the previous progression. Just to be sure, the blade received another full balsa progression before this morning's (Saturday) shave. Again no improvement was noticed.

I feel that this blade has reached its peak. It is almost as good as my best most favoured SR, a Gold Dollar W59.

IMG_20220211_122615.jpg

Last edited:
Did you know that if you rub alum from your alum block on your finger tips, it will provide the tackiness that you need to stretch your skin without using a towel?
True. Also true: if you get even the tiniest bit of that alum on a part of your face that you shave, your razor will stick like gummy warmed-up racing tires.

Top Bottom