What's new

What did you hone today?

Thiers Issard bevel repair on the 2k.

Razor had ran into some bad slurry from a freshly conditioned tomo (think some diamonds might of been stuck in the tomo and came off in the slurry). Tried to fix it on the spotted coticule with slurry - bevel appeared good under the scope. Went to the ark after and hht was great, however the shave was definitely not there. A good reminder though of the importance of a good bevel.

So many options on how to progress from here though. Happy to have an excuse to break out the stones. 🍻

WoolfBlades 6/8 was given some bevel correction work and a jnat finish using a Shiro Suita and a finish on a hard awasedo.
Damasteel works greate with a natural stone edge.
20240427_131202.jpg

2024-04-27-13-08-48.png

Böker 8/8 edge refresh. This steel is bordering on too soft to hold a stable edge. So, I added tape on the spine, and finished on a slightly soft wakasa jnat to see if I could get a more forgiving edge. It is difficult to get any micro convexity even when I use a softer stone. Maybe the more obtuse angle will help.
20240428_153919.jpg

2024-04-28-15-36-03.png

Today I first time honed on a single progression. Razor is "The Electric " Friedmann & Lauterjung. After setting the bevel with cerax 1000, honed on green vermont, at the start with heavy slurry afterwards diluted step by step. Finished on running water same hone. Stropped on synthetic and leather strops. HHT test 5/5.
Shaving test almost perfect.

Attachments

• 20240429_105819~2.jpg
    20240429_105819~2.jpg
    840.4 KB · Views: 14
Today I honed this Klaas razor
using the same first setup that really worked for me
several years ago.

DSCN1708b.jpg

I used a Naniwa 1K, followed by a Norton 4K/8K, a coticule,
and then finally by a regular ILR slate
which in those days was advertised as being in the 12K to 15K range.

DSCN1711b.jpg

I used them all on a sink bridge under a piece of sponge, under running water.
On the slate only, after reaching stiction, I put a drop of detergent on the sponge,
which gets rid of the stiction,
and then I keep going until I can feel the stiction begin to return.

DSCN1709b.jpg

I'm going to a birthday party tomorrow, and the razor is part of a present
for the girl who made me this RSO out of a plow disc.

DSCN1703b.jpg

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/attachments/20220613_175038b-jpg.1518061/

She is angry that I don't use that razor and she has previously asked for a real one.

She always wants scissors for her birthday.
So as well as new scissors, she's also getting an old pair of Klaas scissors,
which is the tie in to the razor.

DSCN1704b.jpg

I think it's because of my age,
but I find it difficult to just simply give something to a kid
without ruining it by trying to make educational.

Last edited:
Today I honed this Klaas razor
using the same first setup that really worked for me
several years ago.

View attachment 1838912

I used a Naniwa 1K, followed by a Norton 4K/8K, a coticule,
and then finally by a regular ILR slate
which in those days was advertised as being in the 12K to 15K range.

View attachment 1838924

I used them all on a sink bridge under a piece of sponge, under running water.
On the slate only, after reaching stiction, I put a drop of detergent on the sponge,
which gets rid of the stiction,
and then I keep going until I can feel the stiction begin to return.

View attachment 1838927

I'm going to a birthday party tomorrow, and the razor is part of a present
for the girl who made me this RSO out of a plow disc.

View attachment 1838931

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/attachments/20220613_175038b-jpg.1518061/

She is angry that I don't use that razor and she has previously asked for a real one.

She always wants scissors for her birthday.
So as well as new scissors, she's also getting an old pair of Klaas scissors,
which is the tie in to the razor.

View attachment 1838943

I think it's because of my age,
but I find it difficult to just simply give something to a kid
without ruining it by trying to make educational.
ILR is a good stone. I have one. It's up there with my Jnats.

ILR is a good stone. I have one. It's up there with my Jnats.

I bought it based on negative reviews by people who had never used it.
I can't explain the logic of that.

What I also wanted to say was that when I hone on a sink bridge like that,
I start by holding the handle in my right hand
using my left index finger on the spine to guide the toe end.
After ten or twenty or fifty strokes, depending on how I feel it's going, I switch hands.
Then after the same number of strokes, I turn the hone around.
More strokes, switch hands, ...

Last edited:
Comparing two coticules on two separate stainless Boker blades. The larger coticule I still have not quite dialed in but getting close. I shaved this evening and it was very good. I pretty impressed on how coticules do a very good job on stainless steel blades. I really depended on synthetics for most part on my stainless blades for best results. I used straight running water until the razors started stick. Stropped linin and leather to finish.

IMG_20240501_203739073.jpg

Last edited:
Koraat factory edge did not suit me, had to be pasted or high grit synthetic, either way it tore my neck up
Did you ask him how he honed the razor?

Last time I checked, I believe a few months ago, he was using a surgical black. Either way, none of his edges were not great. Only one was acceptable for a shave, while two of them were really tuggy and the other ones somewhere in between. Not that I really care if an edge is great or not as I will hone it anyway.

Did you ask him how he honed the razor?

I did not, only asked if honed on taped. But I never said it was not shave ready, bad honing or tugging. Don’t read into what is not there. I said did not suit me. I know I don’t like high grit synthetic edges or pasted edges and that’s what it felt like. I really don’t care what he used, I rather hone it myself.

But I never said it was not shave ready, bad honing or tugging. Don’t read into what is not there. I said did not suit me.
I did not read into what is not there. I just said what he told me last time and then I said his edges also did not suit me and giving some examples why.

Also, I see I have a typo: "none of his edges were not great". I meant none of his edges were great.

Understood, I read your type o, and stopped there I guess. Just opened my eyes. Should have had a coffee first, not a big deal. Love the razor, it’s right now. May have to wait a day to try to out.
No worries, it can happen to anyone for a multitude of reasons. Typos in the message definitely make it harder to understand.

Also, I hope you enjoy the razor!

Top Bottom