What's new

What did you hone today?

Ozuku with a diamond slurry → mikawa slurry.

hellberg-ozuku.jpg

I have a full set I use sometimes.
I hone in hand most of the time, so I don't mind the smaller size.
I have been considering thinning down my stone collection. These will be staying;)

What progression do you use, all of them?
I was thinking adding 6.7, 2, 1.2 , is that too large of jumps?

My thinking is if I am not bevel setting on a natural is jump to Jnat or Cori from 2 or 6.7.If I am using my slats or Novaculite come off of 1.2. When I am home or chose to use synthetics , that’s close to what I am doing now with my Naniwas.

Last edited:
What progression do you use, all of them?
I was thinking adding 6.7, 2, 1.2 , is that too large of jumps?

My thinking is if I am not bevel setting on a natural is jump to Jnat or Cori from 2 or 6.7.If I am using my slats or Novaculite come off of 1.2. When I am home or chose to use synthetics , that’s close to what I am doing now with my Naniwas.
I do just fine with 6.7, 1.2, 0.85. However, i usually slide in a 6k HR glass stone between the 6.7 and the 1.2 because i have it.
I think the 6.7, 2, 1.2 will work just fine.
The 0.85 is in my opinion a good stone. I don't have the same issues as people report with the 16k. They are not the same in my opinion. I only get inconsistent results if i use the 0.44. My stone has some larger particles. This might be a default in my particular stone. However, i don't need anything finer then the 0.85 micron stone. I don't have any razors that can handle anything finer.

I just shaved and I missed some place, maybe my limited progression at my current availability got me. It was not getting my neck down enough and starting to irritate. I swapped to the GD66 off my Mizu Asagi and finished out. My neck is a challenge, it grows east to west, my face hair is curly so it turns into the skin. I need very keen edge, yet mild enough on the skin to let me be aggressive enough to get close on XTG only. I seem to fall short every time I try to shave off of a Synthetics or paste. Back to the drawing board.

Found this little Wester Brothers in the back of a drawer. Forgot I had it.

Honed it up to a Naniwa Snow White. Started with an Atoma 1200 for bevel set then to a Chosera 3K > Chosera 5K then on the the 8K.

Waiting on a new stone to try, should be here today. So that’s as far as I’ll get for now.

Haven’t use the Snow White a while, despite the cracking issue it’s still a nice hone.

I did lap the heck out of it to see if it reduced the cracking but I’m afraid not.

IMG_2386.jpeg

Fixed geometry issues on a Gold Dollar. Awful grind. Bad heel, bad hollow, scooped out bevel just forward of the heel, fading toe. 80x striations everywhere. Just stupid all the way around.

Was first used to test a stone that I figured was going to tear the edge up but I wanted everything to be in the right place first. Ran the edge up to 2k from bevel. Test was as expected and then some.
So I got to fix that too... a double bevel set on one GD. Hah. Back to 2k-ish now. Will final finish tomorrow.

I did a refresh on this Iwasaki on the Karasu Jnat on a diamond slurry. About 30 strokes on one side and 10 on the other side the asymmetrical blade. The stone left a simi haze finish on the tamahagane steel blade. I'll give it a good stropping and use it this week.
IMG_20240419_223933627.jpg
IMG_20240419_223951607.jpg
IMG_20240419_224752690.jpg

Last edited:
Gold Dollar 1200 dmt, 8000 dmt, finshed with tomo slurry on jnat.
This needs a test shave to see if the steel is affected by deeper striations that are not visible.
The end result is quite similar to what i had with a more traditional setup earlier.
20240420_183345.jpg

Broken in 1200 edge
2024-04-20-18-18-58.png

8000 extra extra fine dmt edge
2024-04-20-18-24-27.png

Jnat finish
2024-04-20-18-32-58.png

Gold Dollar 1200 dmt, 8000 dmt, finshed with tomo slurry on jnat.
This needs a test shave to see if the steel is affected by deeper striations that are not visible.
The end result is quite similar to what i had with a more traditional setup earlier.
View attachment 1832732
Broken in 1200 edge
View attachment 1832736
8000 extra extra fine dmt edge
View attachment 1832735
Jnat finish
View attachment 1832733
Am I crazy for thinking the 1200 edge looks cleaner than the 8000 xxf edge?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The razor didnt need honing but I never let that stop me.

You are one of us ….

Anyone just use a progression of only Shapton Sevens for a razor?

I usually finish on naturals, but like @JPO I have the full set or almost the full set. If the 0.44u is a little too much, try the 0.85u, this is the stone that Shapton recommends for razor finishing in this series. The 0.85u 7 series is what travels with me.

BTW, don’t forget the beautiful art deco 7 Series stone holder.

IMG_5009.jpeg
IMG_5015.jpeg

Top Bottom