What's new

What did you hone today?

This was the Dovo I was looking for…I found it and some other neat razors I had moved from their normal places.

I am really looking forward to my next shave!

The smaller coticule was used as a slurry stone.

IMG_0529.jpeg
IMG_0532.jpeg
IMG_0534.jpeg
IMG_0535.jpeg
IMG_0539.jpeg
IMG_0538.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
Got around to testing my ancient boat shaped coti. Just WOW. It is probably the best finishing coticule I have ever owned.

As they say, they don’t make ‘em like they used to. Between my big LPB for mid level work, and this to finish on, I don’t think I need any other coticules. I could survive very happily until the end of my days with just those two razor hones.

IMG_8041.jpeg

Got around to testing my ancient boat shaped coti. Just WOW. It is probably the best finishing coticule I have ever owned.

As they say, they don’t make ‘em like they used to. Between my big LPB for mid level work, and this to finish on, I don’t think I need any other coticules. I could survive very happily until the end of my days with just those two razor hones.

View attachment 1829695

They are special for sure.

Gold Dollar test hone.
3M 800 grit sandpaper. Edge trailing honing to draw out a "false" Edge.
Ti white paste on hard backed jute. This was done to micro convex the edge to get it ready for the red paste on a Böker loom strop.

If this razor had an acute bevel angle this would shave quite well.
In my opinion, if you are doing a full progression of stones, and multiple grits of paste you end up at the same place.

20240416_194225.jpg

800 grit sandpaper
2024-04-16-19-21-58.png

Finished edge after red paste and hanging leather strop
2024-04-16-19-41-05.png

Gold Dollar test hone.
3M 800 grit sandpaper. Edge trailing honing to draw out a "false" Edge.
Ti white paste on hard backed jute. This was done to micro convex the edge to get it ready for the red paste on a Böker loom strop.

If this razor had an acute bevel angle this would shave quite well.
In my opinion, if you are doing a full progression of stones, and multiple grits of paste you end up at the same place.

View attachment 1830635
800 grit sandpaper
View attachment 1830634
Finished edge after red paste and hanging leather strop
View attachment 1830636
Looks like an amazing edge.

I honed my Heljestrand MK 3 Monday night, I had it honed by Alfredo when I first got it and while it didn't really need it yet, I was craving that fresh-off-the-stones feeling and I was bored. So I did a quick 5k-8k-12k cleanup first and then finished on the translucent ark. Shave was good, right where I'd expect from that progression.

But then, yesterday, I was thinking about my little Escher and wondered if I could improve the edge any. I've had mixed results with the Escher, all pretty good but some better than others. I decided to do a less is more approach. Somewhere between 20-30 very light laps on water only. Well, that turned out to be brilliant. Will need to explore this further.

The razor didnt need honing but I never let that stop me. I don’t usually shave off of Synthetics, and this was only the second time finishing on the Shapton Seven. The first time was a refresh on my Rigga that Rick had honed on a .44 Seven.
The only synth I have with me other than that is the King 1/6. I refreshed on 6k, Coti with minimal slurry to 150 laps on water. Then made 8 passes on the Shapton .44. It’s keen as hell, may not feel worth a hoot, we will see. I do like idea how small and portable a set would be. Anyone just use a progression of only Shapton Sevens for a razor?
IMG_5660.jpeg

Top Bottom