What's new

What did you hone today?

FGU…the next time I sharpen a wedge I am using tape, and rolling x stroke…hone wear is fine, but what a pain in the butt fixing warps and high spots on these old Sheffield blades!

That being said, this is a cool razor, and the HHT was lifeless with a pretty fine hair.

Synthetics…Nagura progression of Koma and Tomo on JNAT…finished on butterscotch AOJ.

Happy Sunday!
70A67A22-CAB8-4CFA-83C6-90255C2D94A7.jpeg
005E9E18-0E97-4488-AED1-C30D41E1D030.jpeg
927FF07B-45FD-45CE-B131-4EAFFC7B39CE.jpeg
E3662C71-47ED-4A0E-A518-8CCD534B16DF.jpeg

FGU…the next time I sharpen a wedge I am using tape, and rolling x stroke…hone wear is fine, but what a pain in the butt fixing warps and high spots on these old Sheffield blades!

That being said, this is a cool razor, and the HHT was lifeless with a pretty fine hair.

Synthetics…Nagura progression of Koma and Tomo on JNAT…finished on butterscotch AOJ.

Happy Sunday!
View attachment 1319011View attachment 1319012View attachment 1319013View attachment 1319014
Worth the effort in the long run for me. No need to tape every time it needs a refresh.

Lots of pitting near blades edge. Spent lots of time on the 1K and eventually got some good steel. Perhaps deeper pitting nearby, but ok for now. I think the days are numbered, but I’ll still get some good shaves in. Time will tell.
View attachment 1319393
What kind of stone is that? I have a mystery hone that looks similar nobody has a clue what it is. Probably not the same stone but I'm curious.

View attachment 1319711
I was bored so blunted a knife and had a go with a stone I don't really ever use. Sandstone-y-quartzite-y thing I found on the beach a few months back, maybe around 1k. It's not a great stone tbh, but got to HHT4 with some coaxing (vid click right).

http://instagr.am/p/CTNEPaEJda8/
That stone looks like one I recently found half buried at work and it is actually a very good stone, IN LAYERS. It was great and I lapped it and it sucked so I lapped it more and it got better again. I got more to go but I have to check it as I go through layers. Might try lapping it some and see if it gets better! It's a rock off a beach, you probably won't mess it up.

20210826_112255.jpg20210826_112248.jpg

Tonight´s honing, Cape 1372 & Favorit 1072
so far I've been rather disappointed. on Naniwas I have a better result, when I finish at 10k the result is great. With the new Ozuku I start on Choosera 1k, then Naniwa SS 3k, 5k and after Naniwa 8k I have bevel beautifully shiny, and after
Ozuku darkens again. I use Botan and Mejiro Asano naguras, then only with water. What am I doing wrong?
D7E2E646-6DC1-4838-B5A1-96275DB8B9C5.jpeg

Tonight´s honing, Cape 1372 & Favorit 1072
so far I've been rather disappointed. on Naniwas I have a better result, when I finish at 10k the result is great. With the new Ozuku I start on Choosera 1k, then Naniwa SS 3k, 5k and after Naniwa 8k I have bevel beautifully shiny, and after
Ozuku darkens again. I use Botan and Mejiro Asano naguras, then only with water. What am I doing wrong?
View attachment 1322174

How are the shaves off of the Ozuku with the more cloudy bevel near the edge?

The synthetics will put the mirror bevel near the edge easily, but the natural stones doing that is more rare. Not all of the nice hard/fine JNAT finishers will give you that crisp mirror reflection, so it may be that you are not doing anything wrong.

Vr

Matt

How are the shaves off of the Ozuku with the more cloudy bevel near the edge?

The synthetics will put the mirror bevel near the edge easily, but the natural stones doing that is more rare. Not all of the nice hard/fine JNAT finishers will give you that crisp mirror reflection, so it may be that you are not doing anything wrong.

Vr

Matt
Hi Matt, the 1. Shave off the Ozuku was not bad, was good, but honestly i expected something special. Something much better then edge from Naniwa 10k. The stone is from Maksim, so i suppose the stone is good. But i also supposed that if i spent 600€ the edge will be excellent, something smooth and so goood 😎

I am no expert, but I do use the full five nagura progression, and I have enjoyed the results immensely. I am also lucky enough to have acquired a few JNATS that are capable of the mirror finish on the bevel near the edge.

Perhaps insert the Tenjyou…Koma…Tomo naguras, before taking it down to the water with just a whisp of Tomo slurry?

Vr

Matt

I am no expert, but I do use the full five nagura progression, and I have enjoyed the results immensely. I am also lucky enough to have acquired a few JNATS that are capable of the mirror finish on the bevel near the edge.

Perhaps insert the Tenjyou…Koma…Tomo naguras, before taking it down to the water with just a whisp of Tomo slurry?

Vr

Matt
I do not know. Maksim told that those 2 naguras are all i will need.
I'm confused. I'll keep trying.
Thank you Matt

Top Bottom