What's new

What did you hone today?

I had a neat little JNAT and a Kanayama strop arrive today...so of course...I redid the edge on this Especial Filarmonica 14!

This JNAT is a soft stone that gives up its slurry very easily, and it is pure very fine creamy goodness! I am looking forward to shave testing the razor tomorrow.

Vr

Matt
8FE79B4A-686D-42A9-AA49-808C0AB6BF61.jpeg
D8C0EBDC-7581-494E-A333-389F10F9540A.jpeg

Batch work today. Two recent acquisitions, a Yasuki 100 6/8 full hollow and a Robeson 6/8 full hollow as well as my original razor, an Ontario Cutlery 4/8 1/2 hollow. All of these are fat bevels, around 19 degrees. Finished the stone progression today, they are marginally treetopping. I will take them to the pasted strops tomorrow.

B7A4C4A7-1B5A-438A-A884-BFAEF0A03A0F.jpeg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I spent today setting the bevels on 7 Gold Dollar W59's. These SR's are supplied in a very "happy" condition with about a 2mm to 3mm smile. I don't like my SR's to look too happy. Puts me off my SR shaving technique.

I first bread-knifed the smile out of each SR on the side of a 200 grit synthetic stone that I have. This left them with 180deg bevel angles. Then I had to start to reset their bevels. I started on 400 grit with taped spine (to reduce excessive spine wear). Once near the set bevel, I removed the tape and set the bevels on a 1k synthetic and progressed up to a 10k synthetic. All are looking good and now tree-top close to the skin.

Tomorrow I will finish these SR's off on lapping film and diamond pasted balsa strops ready to be used and evaluated over the next week.

Display.JPG

I honed my pensharpener. Did it like sharpening a planeiron, but so tiny it would be suitable for a Lego dude. And it made no difference. My pencil is made out of the most pourus crap that ever grew out of this earth. The struggle continues.

Attachments

• IMG_20201219_134838.jpg
    IMG_20201219_134838.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 15

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Just foolin’ around on a grey day with a Tuckmar with a bent toe that doesn’r affect the linear part of the edge - it will eventually be a travel razor. Hone is a piece of Aleg Gilmore’s hoard kiita that I call the ’butter stick’. It’s wet in the image so it looks darker, but when dry it does look like a stick of butter. With black cashew on the sides.

6C2CC46F-1B28-4F69-992E-245AC552782A.jpeg

It took some time and a lot of elbow grease but I managed to get the bevel angle of this GD down from 19.5 to 17.5 degrees. She won’t be winning any beauty contests but after the finisher she’s a decent shaver. The bevels wavy but the edge is sharp and straight.

C894995D-A105-483F-9960-08F6C84564B8.jpeg

finished touch up honing the Union Spike on the Jnat.

20201222_194752.jpg

HHT up/down blade and clips my belly hair with authority. wife (who I've been teaching to judge blades) was spooked by this one. the morn will tell.

camo

slapped scales that arrived today on the Torrey. G10 Ghost Jade they were called.

ran through the usual synth progression. then onward to the cloud surgical ark and finished off with the Shobu Jnat.

20201230_201300.jpg

this is a combination that historically I know I like. ark to jnat. the brass pin with nickel cups didn't stand out as much as I thought they would. G10 is heavy.

20201230_201334.jpg

camo

Just foolin’ around on a grey day with a Tuckmar with a bent toe that doesn’r affect the linear part of the edge - it will eventually be a travel razor. Hone is a piece of Aleg Gilmore’s hoard kiita that I call the ’butter stick’. It’s wet in the image so it looks darker, but when dry it does look like a stick of butter. With black cashew on the sides.

View attachment 1197567

Neat hone Steve!

Vr

Matt

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Taking a mystery J-Nat out for a test drive. Using one of my 4 test razors, a Puma #89. Took it from being a tugger to a smooth operator using a ever so slight hint of slurry. Three sets of 20 laps delivered a gleaming edge

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL THE ROCK RUBBERS

332DBA5F-B7E8-4204-9EEB-BA26F1676FE5.jpeg
AA7EB88B-97EA-4382-9464-0272490D2100.jpeg

Last edited:
A090F1EC-4FC2-43B9-B3D8-21792F869FFC.jpeg

The Filly has finally gone au naturel with the Black Ark. I really like this finisher. The ark is always good for a super sharp crispy edge. The edge cuts whiskers like a hot knife through butter but seems to go easy on the skin. We’re really lucky to have these stones (or maybe I should say crystals) still in production. This 8x3x1” is a great size and I get the feeling that it’s going to last many lifetimes of honing. The stones are just that hard. They don’t seem to wear at all.

My razors have slowly started to pair up with their respective hones now. The Ralf Aust likes the Thuri, the Heljestrand likes the Jnat and I feel like the Filly is going to pair very well with the Ark. The only stone that hasn’t wowed me yet is the Coticule. It probably needs more work on my part to unlock its potential. Until then the kitchen knives are enjoying the occasional Belgium day spa treatment.

Top Bottom