What's new

What did you hone today?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
And there I was thinking it was a stone with some beautiful black and red marking...

I almost lost a fingertip one time in gripping the broad sides of a coarse DMT whetstone while honing. Never did that again. From then on, the hone has always rested on the palm with the fingers completely outstretched. I do get cuts like yours sometimes during an extended lapping session or when flattening a stone found in the wild on a belt sander.
Same here, Alan. Stone in hand and fingers straight out and you’re safe.

Hard to follow the Rockingham Wosty but this Greaves does it in style...

proxy.php

ABC razor kamisori grind. Set bevel on Cretan hone, 50laps on coticule then 10 minutes on Surgical black Arkansas.

There is a reason they call it surgical black... Razor slipped and I tried to catch it and ended up with 3 stitches in middle finger. Literally I almost lost a piece of my finger....Hell of a night. Never ever ever try to catch a falling razor.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've stopped myself from doing that one time prepping for a shave. Knocked it off the sink and went for a snag and stopped myself. Luckily I worked in kitchens long enough to control that reflex.

The fall didn't even break the blade, just the scales.

Sorry about the stitches, but I like to consider those sorts of mistakes as learning experiences.

Definitely.. But at the moment it kinda scared me a little the whole SR thing..

But then I have about 10 SR so I think I ll keep using them more carefully.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I’ve done the same thing. I know better to try and catch a falling blade, but it was just a natural reflex I guess. Glad it wasn’t any worse.

Finally! Finding this razor at an affordable price was just the first step. Then I had to find the will (and the time) to put a grail razor on the hones. Let’s just say I haven’t been honing much. Not scared of honing, just scared I might be forced to admit I have too many SRs.

Then, the conservative approach. The bevel looked ok, so what about just refreshing it? I knew that was wishful thinking but I tried anyway. No whiskers were harmed.

Next question, how far up the progression should I start. So today it was 60 laps at 4K, 60 at 8k, 60 at 12k with a little slurry, not quite feeling it, so another 40 at 12k, and finally 30 laps on my hard mystery jnat with some 12k synthetic slurry. Ta da! Two day stubble easily reduced. The white whale “did not disappoint”. It is joining my heavy hitters rotation.

E893CA45-045A-405F-A60C-FD5CBBBB0E90.jpeg

Played a bit with some Washita's I've not gotten around to doing much with on both knives and razors to seperate them into soft, hard, insane and bleh camps.

Then Sharpened up a half dozen razors to test out a new stone and get a feel for it.

Finally! Finding this razor at an affordable price was just the first step. Then I had to find the will (and the time) to put a grail razor on the hones. Let’s just say I haven’t been honing much. Not scared of honing, just scared I might be forced to admit I have too many SRs.

Then, the conservative approach. The bevel looked ok, so what about just refreshing it? I knew that was wishful thinking but I tried anyway. No whiskers were harmed.

Next question, how far up the progression should I start. So today it was 60 laps at 4K, 60 at 8k, 60 at 12k with a little slurry, not quite feeling it, so another 40 at 12k, and finally 30 laps on my hard mystery jnat with some 12k synthetic slurry. Ta da! Two day stubble easily reduced. The white whale “did not disappoint”. It is joining my heavy hitters rotation.

View attachment 1102803

About that 12k slurry on jnat . You finish with a hint of slurry or plain water?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
BF7E91B7-D9F6-4DDF-BB9F-0A71EB0004B7.jpeg

I honed this last night. It came with a jnat edge but was in need of a touch up but had been honed with tape so I had to reset the bevel and do the whole nine yards. Honed it to 1um film. I didn’t do a pasted balsa progression. It shaved very well so I’m leaving it as is. Very good shaver

I honed a Dovo En Vouge 105 5/8 stainless on a Jon. Coe Arkansas grey w/oil this morning. Got a nice shave. Funny stone, quite fine, but quite soft also. Stone is a recent acquisition, so I'm learning it.

At the rick of repeating myself...

Another tough day in the Aldwyn household... Up today were two kamisori: A Tosuke and a Henkotsu.

The Henkotsu went beautifully over the Chosera 1K, and a Shobu with nagura progression. It was shaving hair off my arm after the 1K with great prejudice.
proxy.php

HotD26may20.jpg

The Tosuke, on the other hand... I knew she was going to be an issue, as when I bought it, the seller mentioned it had pitting at the edge and would take some work to get her back into shape (though since he said he had been shaving with it, I thought... why not try?). I took a chance... again... and lost.

I tried on the 1K, and that was slow going. And once one microchip would go away, another would pop up. Further, I could see the tell tail dark spots all along the bevel. I prayed to the gods of steel that they might not be so deep... and so, I kept at it, hoping that I would find some decent steel.

The grind didnt have a lot of meat left in her to begin with, so going back and forth between the 1K and a Atoma 400, I watched little by little as I wasnt getting good steel AND the grind was quickly vanishing.

When I got down to this, I gave up - threw in the towel - retreated... Knowing I at least got one good blade out of the two blade deal.

dying tosuke.jpg

About that 12k slurry on jnat . You finish with a hint of slurry or plain water?

Hint of slurry. I think I would be kidding myself (or in for a long tail end to the session) with plain water on that stone. That rock is just working its way into my finishing, so perhaps I will come to understand its ways without slurry. Not yet, though.

Today was the once in a while fail. I don't love tape, but it is a sometimes needed item for the real oldies if just to save more spine ware. The old Smith I honed one page back was shaving phenomenal but I used two layers of tape and it had the tiniest micro chip so I decided to fix it because of OCD and I wanted to switch to Kapton tape. Well bad idea. Took forever because as I got rid of the small chip I got more on the Shapton 1.5k. Took hours and breaks then it just wouldn't get there and increased the size of the bevel slightly. So decided to go with one layer of electrical tape, and another bevel redo hone up for more time than it should and never seemed to reach the level it was at, but not terrible. Finally shaved and while smooth not as close as I know she can give. So I guess I am going back to two layers. Hope it isn't as rough a go as today. Shaved great with this combo before. It doesn't normally ever take this long so figured I would share since I think most newer people feel this way and only read here how great an edge we usually get. Sometimes it takes way more work than it should.

Top Bottom