3 Le Grelots
1 Le Jaguar
1 gold dollar
1 Henry sears and Sons
1 Dubl Duck gold edge
1 CVH Mk32
1 ERN Crown and Sword

Last edited:
One of my cased pair of Crown and Sword extra hollow ground on my new LV #10 bout.

proxy.php

okay...had a razor I wanted to hone, had some micro chips on the edge so I decided to do away with the micro chips using my Cretan hone. So, first order of business...create some dry slurry powder rubbing the slurry stone agaisnst the Cretan hone, while it's dry, but in this pic the hone is wet. That is because I submerged the hone in water after I scavenged some slurry powder from it when it was dry. Dry powder on top of the wax paper, & FWIW, I use the wax paper to catch the powder, rubbing the two stones against one another, above the wax paper

proxy.php
this next pic, I just poured the powder on top of the damp Cretan hone
proxy.php

I'm mixing the powder with a finger's worth of water, using a tooth pic to mix
proxy.php

added a little more water
proxy.php

this is the consistency I'm after...paste
proxy.php

here's the razor w/the micro chips ...a 6/8 Dovo Master's...I'm using 1/2 strokes. I was done when looking at the bevel and the chips were gone
proxy.php

just about finished...as you can see, the whitish paste has turned to a darker gray colour, which is metal from the razor (both spine and bevels) mixed with the slurry. before going to the next hone in this progression, I performed an arm hair shave test, it passed well popping arm hairs easily. I've said this before abnd I'll say it again. I like the Cretan hone very much. It's more trouble to use vs using my Chosera 1K in that you have to scavenge the slurry while dry then you have to soak the Cretan hone but in the end it's all worth the effort
proxy.php

jumped to a different hone here, a Thurringian. I lapped the thurri with the DMT a little to raise some slurry. All stroke on the thurri used were x strokes, and I kept the slurry wet, a milky wet slurry
proxy.php

to finish up with this job I kept watering the slurry down by adding water to it while doing x strokes then when I got to the point the slurry was running clear, I rinsed the sgtone well and under running water I used the small slurry stone seen here (paper backing) and polished the top of the thurringian hone, then began doing x strokes with water only
proxy.php

I just honed away til I felt the edge come around. What's come around you say? To me, it feels like there's no more to be gained. that said, I performed a HHT with my own greying 55 year old shoulder length hair. In my youth my hair was fuller/thicker. the hair shaft is quite thin compared to other hairs I've used for HHT. None the less I got HHT2 almost HHT3 but not quite off the hone using this hair. After stropping (60 linen 60 leather) I got a very strong HHT3...HHT3+, so I picked up half a point or so from stropping

No shave yet...that'll happen later this afternoon or evening

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
5/8 Krusius Brothers "KB Extra" # 86. Set bevel on a DMT 1200, then Norton 4/8K followed by 3 micron lapping film, 1 micron LF, 1 micron LF with paper, CrOx on balsa, FeOx on balsa, stropped on leather. Overkill never fails.

Just finished honing a 5/8 Chas Clement.

1k Chosera -> 5 micron film -> 3 micron film -> 1 micron film -> 1 micron film with damp paper under it.

My first time using lapping film so I'm quite excited to see what the edge is like in the morning.

CVH MK 30 tastefully set in plastic. King 1k/6k, thuri with slurry then water, stropped on CrOx, FeOx then clean leather. Really hard and thin steel on these babies.
$mk30plastic.jpg

proxy.php

Had lots of fun tonite.
Klas Törnblom faux frameback
CV Heljestrand MK#33
Richmond Fanatic cleaver
Tojiro Santoku (kids knife)
Murray Carter Nakiri
Benchmade Griptilian

All of them got the Shapton Pro treatment up to 15K followed by 0.75µ & 0.125µ CBN & finsished on clean, glass-backed kangaroo except the kids knife, that one stopped at 5K.
So besides the Tojiro, all of them are shave ready :biggrin:

Top Bottom