What's new

What did you hone today?

Started in on a "comes in three colors of scales" inexpensive Chinese razor today (not a Gold Dollar, alas). After several thousand passes on my King Deluxe 300 stone (hard, fast cutting, pretty coarse) I have mostly set a bevel on about 2/3 of the edge.

This thing is HARD - I'd restored a beaten up plane blade in half this time, sharpening the entire bevel of a 2 5/8" wide blade!

Blade is slightly warped but the biggest issue is that the toe is slightly thinner than the toe, with the result that the factory bevel grind is way off on one side, gonna be grinding on this on a while yet.

However, at the rate it's working off, it's gonna hold a decent edge a long time. No signs of trouble at the edge where I do actually have an apex other than some remnants of a foil edge (I've been working it 50 strokes a side for a while, will get rid of the mess on the edge when I switch to a Bester 1200 eventually).

Sometime this week I should be a decent bevel, I'm on vacation....

Peter

$image.jpg

On a stainless kick lately.Almost feel as good my carbon edges.Glued coticule combo.

LGB not the easiest stone to draw an edge from, but wow what an edge when you do. Case 132 Red Imp wedge.

$image.jpg

Last edited:
CMON Microtome:

There were other razor makers that made microtomes in the U.S. in our history, this was one that I happened across and picked it up NOS. The wedge side does have a bit of concave to it, but not a lot. The conventional wisdom to honing these is to use one piece of tape on the show (hollow) side and 4 to 5 pieces on the back (wedge side) When I went to hone this particular example, I learned that it had a warp such that the bevel on the hollow side was very broad, at the toe, and the stone did not touch the bevel on the wedge side for about 3/4" in at the toe. I got out a course DMT and started to try to see if I could get the bevel all the way out to the toe, but then I started shredding tape. After replacing 2 or three times I got fed up and threw it in the case where it has resided ever since. I think I will revisit this microtome and the heck with conventional wisdom and see if I can get a bevel bareback to run the length of the blade on both sides.

Back side is a wedge

Show side is hollow

Well today I decided to hone it.

Wedge side:

Hollow side:

Sorry for the bad phone pics, but it is raining and light was limiting. These pictures are after the 400 Atoma diamond plate. This is how much I had to grind it in order to set the bevel. I followed this with a 1,200 Atoma, 1K Chosera Pro, 3K Chosera Pro, Botan, Tenjyou, Mejiro, Koma and Tomonagura on a Shobudani honyama.

I will shave with it tomorrow to see how it does, but this is the wonkyist grind I could have ever imagined on a NOS microtome. I think this is a very rare piece, and it may be the very first one made based on the lack of quality of the grind. Or, they may have sold this one, and this is why they went out of business. But the bevel is set now, so I think it will shave just fine.

Nothing today. Ran my TI Spartacus extra laps on CrOx bench strop and didn't need to do anything else to it. Good two pass shave. I have been piling up wedges, near wedges, 1/4 hollow grounds and framebacks that may take a week of honing. After initial cleanup, I put a bevel on them to decide if it will take an edge. I will have about 40 to hone shortly.

$Rodgers-6:8.jpg
$Miallet_FB.jpg

$Johan Engstro?m.jpg

These are honing test razors. The first is is a Joseph Rodgers and Sons 6/8. It was honed on a Black Surgical Arkansas and has not been stropped.

The second ina Miallet a Paris frameback that was honedas above, then finished on a Trans Arkie, not stropped.

The last was honed on black Arkie, trans Arkie and finished on 1µ film.

Lately I have been setting bevels on 15µ or 9µ film, then working down to 1µ or 0.5µ film. I had been setting bevels on Eze-Lap 1200 diamond as I did on the three above.
I used film on modern Dovos and Revisors. Film seemed to give me a tamer edge than my 12K superstone and the waterstones.

The lapping films also have the benefit of little setup time and effort. No soaking, no lapping, no cleaning.

First time posting here. I picked up this guy a few weeks ago. Just got around to honing the thing.

proxy.php

You will notice that it came with loads of patina and I was able to bring it to its natural Swedish Steel beauty. Used 380 grit sandpaper, 1000 grit sandpaper, and then some Maas.

Back to honing... I went thru the Mikawa Nagura progression. At first, I wasn't getting enough slurry. So I took some more time to create a thicker slurry. The razor had a poor bezel so I was able to set it on the Shobudani. I think it well but only tomorrow will tell if it is truly shave ready. I think it's at HHT3/HHT4 - maybe I'll do a few more passes with water tomorrow before my shave to get it to HHT5.

Excited for the shave.

Shaving off the Arks is not recommended. After stropping on CrOx on leather and plain leather, the Johan Engström gave a nice DFS shave. The Arks were not smooth for more than a quick WTG pass, the Engström was good (not great) ATG. So, back to the higher grits.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Just finished honing an ERN. Dilutions on a vintage coti and finished on a norton B-Hone.

Attachments

• $IMG_7817.jpg
    $IMG_7817.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 71
Top Bottom