What's new

What did you hone today?

Been awhile since honing anything so was having some withdrawals so decided to reset the edge on this Filarmonica Novodur.

Reset bevel on 4K Shapton GS then used these two JNATS to finish with (Nakayama Kiita LV3 and Okudo Asagi LV5) both with a DMT #600 slurry then 25/75 on linen/leather.

$IMG_4966.jpg

Sorry no pics as i didn't even think of it as i decided to touch the edges on my travel razors. ..i hope i didnt mess them up to badly as it was my first time on the stone...lol...cant be all that bad as they still strip the hair clean off my arm..lol

Yamamasa Ue and Tosuke Kinmoji newly arrived:

While I was finishing these, the upstairs of the house flooded and the electrics fused (my daughter had fallen asleep in her room whilst running a bath!)
After some heated words and lots of action with towels I continued with these kamisori in the spirit of "keep calm and carry on"

I wonder if the annoyance and irritation that I was feeling at the time will have helped create a really good edge?

Yamamasa Ue and Tosuke Kinmoji newly arrived:
proxy.php

While I was finishing these, the upstairs of the house flooded and the electrics fused (my daughter had fallen asleep in her room whilst running a bath!)
After some heated words and lots of action with towels I continued with these kamisori in the spirit of "keep calm and carry on"

I wonder if the annoyance and irritation that I was feeling at the time will have helped create a really good edge?

Bought a new GD. Gonna hone it start to finish with scope shots at every stage over the next few days. Then probably use it to take a few shots of some of my lesser used hones. Today it saw the DMT 600.

Bought a new GD. Gonna hone it start to finish with scope shots at every stage over the next few days. Then probably use it to take a few shots of some of my lesser used hones. Today it saw the DMT 600.

That's a great idea - very interesting!

Worked on a Tosuke and a Henkotsu here today:
proxy.php

Now I'm gaining confidence with these kamisori and how they behave, I'm paying less attention to a fixed ratio of Omote:Ura laps and relying more on feel and rhythm.

I took a watercolour class a few years ago and the teacher then said "Get it right first, then you can play"
Guess the same applies to kamisori [emoji3]

I decided since my GENCO was due for a touch up that I would go ahead and test this Gargantuan Mystery Stone since it is very smooth and is also extremely hard as well. Here is what I got:

Size reference for this thing:
$20160706_131957.jpg

Before Stropping:
View attachment 671532

After Stropping:
$20160706_132533.jpg

I pretty much consider this big synthetyc for a big hit .If it is so fine just imagine the posibillitys as prefinisher or diderent nagura base
looks like the wellow side of Norton 4-8 K Cool stone and very good indeed congrats

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Marathon session today, 19 razors, Naniwa 1k, 3k, 8k, 12k, followed by lapped balsa with diamond pastes in 1u, .5u, .25u, .1u, unpasted balsa strip "fin-fighter", and a few more laps on the .1u.

$19honed.jpg

Left Column:

Slash McCoy "Dark Matter" and Slash McCoy "Light Matter" (my 2016 GD Mod Competition Entry)

Made in England (brand unknown)

Hudson Solingen

Jones bros Toronto "Demon"

Fontaine Solingen 100 4/8

Shapleigh Hdwe Co st Louis USA

Joseph Smith & Sons 3415

Crown & sword razor works wald Germany extra hollow ground fully warranted 4800SP

Right Column:

C. Don Benedict York PA "Mason Dixon"

McIntosh Heather Cleveland

H. Boker & Co "None Better"

Union "Spike" Olean NY

No name Hand Forged

Ern 829, C. Friedr. Ern Wald B/Solingen

Henry Sears & Sons 1865 Prussia 274

Krusius Brothers Germany "KB Extra 67"

Shapleigh Hdw. Co. St. Louis USA "Shapleigh Barber's"

Warranted cast steel

All but the first two are ebay rescues, many of which have been in my junk box for years waiting for... something to happen. Tomorrow I will shave with one of the GD pair, of course.

Iwasaki Swedish Steel 6/8
proxy.php

In my over-romanticising fantasy mind, this was going to be ready straight out of the Paulownia box.

In fact the edge really benefitted from a touch up on the Trans Ark.

That steel is HARD but the edge it took is amazing - so smooth and stealthy.

Dovo Bismark
DMT 1200 to correct a factory double bevel
Norton 4K/8K
Nanima 12000
Hard Arkansas stone
Strop on canvas with CrO2 paste
Clean canvas strop
Leather strop

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Honed my very first straight razor this afternoon on a vintage jnat.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 81
Top Bottom