What's new

What blades would you include in a sampler?

I’m introducing my friend into DE shaving - we’ve both got RR Game Changer razors which have made their way to Aus.

As part of this though, I’m putting together a small sample of blades.

So far I’m thinking:

Astra SP
Dorco Prime platinum
Derby extra
Feather

At a 10 pack of each I figure there’s almost a years worth of shaving there.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GSB
Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow Sharpedge & Black Platinum.
Rapira Platinum Lux
Zorrik Platinum
Shark Platinum
Lord Platinum
Personna Platinum
Wilkinson Sword
Vokshod
PolSilver.... To name a few...

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
These are some blades that I enjoy and I also have the Razorock Game changer .84 and it's a great shaver once you have good hand technique. The ones that are sharp & smooth and the ones that are just part way into Sharpest are good IMO.
Latest blade review Rev #4 sept 15 2018.jpg

It really doesn't matter which blades you include in a sample pack. The key is to only get one tuck or each manufacture. By the time you get through a dozen manufactures you will have a good understanding of the all the blades from different markets. Don't try to hit a home run on your first up a bat. The bad choices.....Derby are just as important as top tier choices. Take you time there are a lot of good blade available today.
MM879

Derby Extra
7 O'Clock Super Stainless
Shark Super Stainless
Dorco ST300
Voskhod Teflon
Wilkinson Sword (German)
Personna Lab Blues (buy 100 for yourself & give him 5)
Feather

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Maybe some of the LORD stable from Egypt, I find them to be a good blade. In the end I think he will be happy with whatever you choose.

Here’s what I would throw in a sampler pack.
Voskhod
Wilkinson Sword (both German and Indian versions)
Shark super stainless
Rapira super stainless
Ladas
Bolzano
Big Ben
Gillette Silver Blue

To your list I would add some American and Israel made Personnas.

I notice you are from Australia, and have heard that some items are more difficult to get that others. I would suggest that you also consider the availability and cost of 100 blade packs from your favored vendor, and concentrate on those first. It's kind of a bummer trying a tuck then discovering that you can't readily get it in the 100 pack.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Polsilver.
SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium.
Gillette Yellow.
Gillette Black.
Gillette Green.
Feather.
Derby Extra.
Perma-Sharp Super.
Rapira Platinum Lux.
Lord Platinum.

I'll include GSB because so many like it even if it is my Nemesis lol.

If those dont do it, not many will.

You might try Try A Blade. Flat rate $5 world wide shipping and you can order as many or as few blades of any kind you want.

Thanks everyone. After a bit more of a logical think I’ve just stuck with the four I considered originally. My mate works FIFO on an oil rig and only take carry on luggage so taking razor blades on his work stints are out.
Pretty much means he’ll have 40 blades to trial over 30ish weeks. I figure anymore variety might get a bit pointless/overwhelming.

I’ve certainly made a note for a few more to try myself though!

I notice you are from Australia, and have heard that some items are more difficult to get that others. I would suggest that you also consider the availability and cost of 100 blade packs from your favored vendor, and concentrate on those first. It's kind of a bummer trying a tuck then discovering that you can't readily get it in the 100 pack.

I’m still fairly new looking for items (10 months) but it does seem a bit frustrating. Not to mention the general ‘Australia Tax’ that we seem to pay on everything.
There’s certainly a lot less readily available brands here than what other countries seem to enjoy.

Top Bottom