What's new

What are your "top five" inks?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
... and why?

Okay, an explanation ... I'm putting together a Goulet order, and was wondering which inks to toss in the basket. You may just sway me to try one of your favourites.

Well, beyond that, it's still fun to chat about which inks we like best.

I'm not the one to ask.... I have been using nothing but vintage inks for the last 8 months. I have a boatload

strop

Now half as wise
A couple off the top of my head are R&K Salix and Diamine Denim, both blue-black, asa-gao, Eclat de Sahir, and Grand Canyon brown.

Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher
Noodler's Ottoman Azure
Aurora Blue
Waterman's Havana Brown
Private Reserve Sherwood Green

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm not the one to ask.... I have been using nothing but vintage inks for the last 8 months. I have a boatload

Hah!

It was your recent comment about Diamine Registrar's ink being one of your top-five that got me thinking about this.

:lol:

All are Noodler's as I prefer my inks to be waterproof. Colors posted are only approximate.

Goulet Exclusive: Liberty's Elysium. A great blue ink.
Black. Everyone needs one and this one is definitely black.
5 O'Clock Shadow. The hint of green makes it just "off" enough to tickle me. An exclusive from West Coast Shaving, btw.
Fox (red). For those times I need to correct spelling and grammar mistakes. But really bought to use for Christmas cards.
And last, my personal favorite: Black Swan in Australian Roses. A nice dark burgundy shade. This is the only ink I keep in two pens at the same time. It is (in my opinion) suitable for business use but has a uniqueness to it that makes it certain no-one else in my company will have anything like it.

If you don't mind paying in part for a perddy bottle the Iroshizuku kon peki, asa gao and yama budo are the best shading inks I have played with anyone who got Xmas cards from me can tell you... they write great too although my experience isn't nearly as high

I like my private reserve inks. Currently the only 2 I have on me is Ebony Blue and Copper Burst. They all write nice. You just need to find a color you like.

I'm not one for adventurous inks so my choices may seem boring and I don't have a lot but here are my 3 choices:
Sailor Kiwaguro - It has a beautiful sheen and is very close to traditional sumi ink
Pilot Iroshizuku - Fuyu-Syogun A beautiful grey color, but I tend to like it better with a dip pen as it is a little thinned out with a Lamy Safari
Pilot Iroshizuku - Shin Kai It is a nice blue black but I'll bet you can find a competitor at a cheaper price point.

Pelikan blue black, R&K Scabiosa, ESSRI, Noodler's Blue Eel, Diamine Syrah and Diamine Damson.

One of my favorite lines is the homemade iron gall inks from a FPNer from Belgium. A classic blue black and a nice selection of colored inks really are a joy to use. Hard to come by but well worth the effort.

5 O'Clock Shadow and BBB because they are B&B inks and support a good cause. I haven't tried many others. Diamine yellow was too yellow.

5 O'Clock Shadow, Private Reserve Sherwood Green (fast-dry), Noodler's Tianammen, Diamine Ancient Copper, Noodler's Cayenne.

My list (excluding the ubiquitous BBB and 50S)

J Herbin Perle Noire- to me its the "benchmark" black
PR Midnight Blue- lovely blue-black that doesn't have the drying-out issues like BBB
Diamine Grey- smooth flowing ink that looks like pencil, its a nice touch
Pelikan Brilliant Green- not sure why I like this exactly, its a nice change of pace color I suppose
Sheaffer Skrip Red- a "true" red in my eyes, perfect when you need your writing to catch attention

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Pelikan Brilliant Black and Royal Blue. Great inks for everyday use. The next three I am torn on.

I apparently seem to have a thing for the blues.

Waterman Florida (Serenity) Blue
Noodlers Bad Belted KingFisher
Diamine Asa Blue
De Atramentis Atlantic Blue

I don't have it yet but Noodlers Bad Blue Heron is on my list to try next.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
In no specific order:
Noodlers Heart of Darkness
Herbin Rouge Hematite
R+K Solferino
PR Sherwood Green
PR Tanzanite

Plus: 5 o'clock and BBB

Top Bottom