What's new

What are your house cocktails

I don’t mix many drinks except for old fashioneds, manhattans and a few martini style drinks. However, I do keep a ridiculously big bar. When I do stray from the norm, I can usually mix what people ask for. I have been on an amaro kick lately….for no good reason…

I don’t mix many drinks except for old fashioneds, manhattans and a few martini style drinks. However, I do keep a ridiculously big bar. When I do stray from the norm, I can usually mix what people ask for. I have been on an amaro kick lately….for no good reason…
I used to do the same. And then decided it was sort of ridiculous. So 3-4 cocktails, all the ingredients and that is it.

This summer is looking like the summer of the mojito and last word.

In my house, it's a choice of Beefeater's neat, or with Q-tonic/India Tree if available; Gordon's Gin with Schweppes or Canada Dry Tonic; Dale's Pale Ale, Bass Ale or Guinness.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Usually Manhattans or G&Ts for me. The wife likes fresh (No mix) Margaritas and anything with coffee liqueurs.

a port, usually tawny

a dark, flavorful porter or stout

a Pilsner Urquell or (similarly flavorful local-ish craft brewed) on a hot day

less often these days a spirit, but when an itch needs scratched.:

a quality bourbon/rye rocks

a lesser quality bourbon/rye/rum (a Bronx as I've dubbed it) Manhattan

a high quality anejo/Cointreau/lime margarita, poured over ice rocks. never blender'd.

a Cointreau tonic on a hot day

Beer. Bourbon; neat. If I want a cocktail I throw in an ice cube.

I kid. If it isn't one of those it may be a g7t, mojito or margarita. I have rums, brandy, and most things to make a lot of different cocktails but I only make them when people are over. Wife is very pregnant so I haven't made a drink for her in a bit. She likes her bourbon neat most times but also has multiple bottles for her corner including various Crown flavors and Screwball.

One things I don't think I have seen mentioned is Pimm's. Pimm's Cup is always a hit at a party. A Porch Swing is a huge at my summer birthday parties. Pimm's, gin, lemonade, cucumber and something else; could just be lemon slices. The wife hates gin. I didn't tell her what was in the porch swing and she still hates me for it 10 years after her first one and she still drinks them.

Nice to see Pimm's Cup getting some love around here. A great herbal cocktail. I once grew borage, just so I would have it for Pimm's Cup.

Our guest cocktail list.
SKNZ COCKTAILS.jpg

SKNZ COCKTAILS 2.jpg

At my house it's:
  • Jack Daniels Tennessee Fire or Fireball with apple juice
  • Jack Daniels Honey with Dr. Pepper
  • Any random rum punch (my wife's favorite)
My wife bought some tequila and vodka--but I don't really know what to do with them. I know she's made some margaritas but I don't know what else.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I always have the ingredients for good margaritas around, but I don't seem to make them unless we have people over. My wife likes wine.... so that's easy. I love having a good margarita with a meal... doesn't seem to matter what kind of food, when we're dining out.

I keep vodka around too... but that's for guests too. I don't know why I don't drink adult beverages unless we have guests. It's just a habit, I guess.

Nice list. No bitters in the Manhattan? I think you mean Curacao (essentially triple sec or a bitter orange cordial of some sort) in the Mai Tai, not creme de cacao. I like that the martinis are largely gin.
Thanks. Some of these are friends/guests that like them specific ways...I like the bitters in the Manhattan for myself and never touch a Mai Tai. I prefer my gin martini like Winston Churchill...drink the martini while looking at the Vermouth bottle across the room! 🍸😂

Top Bottom