What's new

What Are Your Food Goals for 2015?

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
No I haven't been there. I'll try and remember next time I'm there. Here's where we went:

http://www.august-es.com/menus.html

The New Zealand lamb was probably exported by Chris' company.
If only it was my company. There is a chance it was from the company I work for but there are a few players in the market.
Nice to see it on a menu as being from New Zealand.
The wine list has a good variety. I every saw a few from NZ.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
If only it was my company. There is a chance it was from the company I work for but there are a few players in the market.
Nice to see it on a menu as being from New Zealand.
The wine list has a good variety. I every saw a few from NZ.

Thats right Chris, good stuff from good ole NZ. An ally in war and in good food and wine.

I'm hoping to attend the NRA (National Restuarant Association) Food Show in Chicago again this year. There is so much unique food and drinks to try there. The first year, I had my arm around my friend the walking down the aisles and exclaimed, "Listen here... we have to pace ourselves. One drink per aisle. That's it." Alcohol was involved and it made for a long trek back to his apartment on the other side of the city.

Aaron, it's a blast! it seems there is less and less booze each year, but there's plenty. Also, if you get the beer and wine expo pass, you'll need a cab. I'll know closer to the date if I can even attend, but I will let you know.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Ha, a food goal for me is; if I ever made it to Chicago, I would land, then go straight to a steak house. Instead of bar hopping I would steak hop.

To stay away from this....yeah right.:biggrin1:
Sarbone? Champagne creme with blueberries, strawberry, raspberry and sorbet ice cream on the bottom. Yummy! it does have anti dioxins in it:p

Attachments

• $IMG_20150130_200759_267.jpg
    $IMG_20150130_200759_267.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
This is a great thread, well done to those of you who have documented your goals. Post holidays, we always move back to a "healthier" winter cooking schedule. This means doubling the vegetables, replacing pasta / potatoes with grains and portioning back our meat intake as well.

I am fortunate to be a short drive from great supermarkets and a fantastic produce market (they supply Americas Test Kitchen and other PBS food shows shot at WGBH public television), so the issue isnt with access to abundant, exotic and fresh food....it is breaking the food preparation rut.

I will continue to read your posts for inspiration and hope to add in some of my own as I get organized and reinvigorated around preparing healthy and interesting food

Tim, it seems my goal have changed somewhat. I want to eat more fresh vegetables, lean meats and less carbs. Hot sauce and peppers are good for you, so that remains daily. Eggs are my daily driver....more egg whites but always including small amounts of yolk.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Got a pressure cooker for Christmas. I want to learn how to use it well and especially how to do PC risotto.
I also want to ferment some foods
make a hot sauce
I recently started making my own habanero sauce. It is fun, although the wife says I can't make it indoors anymore (it irritates her eyes and throat)

This thread got me thinking about skillet corn bread. So, this morning I got our cast iron skillets out and cleaned them up. We have not been able to use the cast iron on our cooktop for the last 19 years (in accordance with the owners manual). I spent some time this afternoon seasoning the skillets (2 Wagners [#3 & #6] & 3 Griswolds [#3, #6 &#8]). I got them looking fairly decent. I used the 9" Griswold [#6] to bake the following cornbread recipe, which turned out great. The pan also looks pretty good now as well.

Skillet cornbread

From Chef Susan Goss of Zinfandel in Chicago (via epicurious.com)

1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal (preferably stone-ground)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
2 large eggs
1 3/4 cups well-shaken buttermilk
1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
Accompaniment: buckwheat honey butter

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Put a dry, well-seasoned 9- to 9 1/2-inch cast-iron skillet in middle of oven to heat.
Stir together cornmeal, baking soda, and salt, crushing any small bits of baking soda. Whisk eggs in another bowl until blended and whisk in buttermilk.
Remove hot skillet from oven carefully and add butter, swirling gently to coat bottom and sides of skillet. (If butter begins to sizzle and brown around edges, so much the better.)
Whisk hot butter into buttermilk mixture and return skillet to oven. Stir cornmeal into buttermilk mixture just until moistened. (The batter doesn't have to be smooth--a few small lumps are good.)
Scrape batter into hot skillet and bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Invert skillet over a platter and cool bread at least 3 minutes.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Here's my list:

1. Smoked brisket
2. Lamb chops
3. Paella
4. Gumbo
5.Jambalaya
6. Fried calamari
7. Fatty
8. Well you know how a lub dem corn dogs.

I can't get Paella out of my head. I'm thinking seafood. I need to order a Paella pan.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Good to see a few crossed off Aaron. Have you thought of making a Paella is a large cast iron pan? I think it should work just fine.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Well, I don't have a large cast iron pan. You may have seen it in past pictures. Anyway, Maybe I need to start a new thread on paella pans and see what results I get. This is really fun and the year is going to be full of good eating.

Top Bottom