Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
They are delish!!!!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 55

martym

Sorry guys! I meant to read the last page put fat fingered the 1st page and saw the bits about wild hogs! My bad

martym

it is hard to tell just how big they are at night. But you don't want to purposely take them any bigger than these fellows. Unless of course they are tearing up your land. The meat on the larger males really have a bad smell. you have to leave the meat on ice for a couple of weeks; draining, rinsing, and replacing the ice

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
That looks delicious Aaron. That is now two off your list so early in the year. Well done but maybe you need to add a new goal to replace these two.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Aaron where did you get that calamari? Did it come frozen or fresh?

Shawn, it was frozen. I got it at HEB in the seafood freezer section next to the fresh seafood area. A good price and was really fresh. I breaded them and deep fried. Garnished with green onions.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
That looks delicious Aaron. That is now two off your list so early in the year. Well done but maybe you need to add a new goal to replace these two.

I plan on updating that list all year long. I'll have to revisit the calamari though it was really good.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
In my short time here I have already had so many first. My first, from scratch, cast iron corn bread, grilled my first rack of lamb, I made my first hot sauce, and just yesterday my first Texas Red Chili (about time- I have only lived here two years). A lot of other things I am forgetting now. This year I hope to make my first curry dish, and I hope to get a smoker so I can try my hand at pulled pork and brisket. This place is inspiring me to do things I had never considered before. Like Matthew, I hope to eat healthier, too. Cooking at home from scratch is a step in that direction.

Went back to read this post so I could write down my goals. I have lived in Texas 22 years, not 2.

This is a great thread, well done to those of you who have documented your goals. Post holidays, we always move back to a "healthier" winter cooking schedule. This means doubling the vegetables, replacing pasta / potatoes with grains and portioning back our meat intake as well.

I am fortunate to be a short drive from great supermarkets and a fantastic produce market (they supply Americas Test Kitchen and other PBS food shows shot at WGBH public television), so the issue isnt with access to abundant, exotic and fresh food....it is breaking the food preparation rut.

I will continue to read your posts for inspiration and hope to add in some of my own as I get organized and reinvigorated around preparing healthy and interesting food

Shawn, it was frozen. I got it at HEB in the seafood freezer section next to the fresh seafood area. A good price and was really fresh. I breaded them and deep fried. Garnished with green onions.

Thanks Aaron! I've cut and cooked several tons of calamari in a pro restaurant and my wife has been bugging me to make it at home. I've only seen it at Restaurant Depot frozen, and at Central Market where it's very expensive. I'll check out HEB.

Next time try marinating the cut up calamari in egg whites overnight. The egg whites will do two things, help the breading stick and it will help tenderize the calamari. I like to use a breading mixture of flour, corn starch, salt, pepper, Cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, and any other dried herbs I have handy that I think will complement the finished dish. Deep fry for 45-60 seconds at 375F, slightly longer if you need to. Calamari needs to either cook very quickly or for a long time.

Use the left over egg yolks to make creme brulee.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Thanks Aaron! I've cut and cooked several tons of calamari in a pro restaurant and my wife has been bugging me to make it at home. I've only seen it at Restaurant Depot frozen, and at Central Market where it's very expensive. I'll check out HEB.

Next time try marinating the cut up calamari in egg whites overnight. The egg whites will do two things, help the breading stick and it will help tenderize the calamari. I like to use a breading mixture of flour, corn starch, salt, pepper, Cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, and any other dried herbs I have handy that I think will complement the finished dish. Deep fry for 45-60 seconds at 375F, slightly longer if you need to. Calamari needs to either cook very quickly or for a long time.

Use the left over egg yolks to make creme brulee.

Shawn, my breading was very close to what you mentioned minus the paprika and adding granulated garlic. I placed the flour, etc. in a large Tupperware container along with the calamari and gave it a shake n bake. Dropped into a large metal strainer getting rid of any extra flour breading mix. Fried it at 350 for 2 minutes. The wife tasted it and then śtarted kissing my forehead and earlobes. lol.

Shawn, my breading was very close to what you mentioned minus the paprika and adding granulated garlic. I placed the flour, etc. in a large Tupperware container along with the calamari and gave it a shake n bake. Dropped into a large metal strainer getting rid of any extra flour breading mix. Fried it at 350 for 2 minutes. The wife tasted it and then śtarted kissing my forehead and earlobes. lol.

proxy.php

That sounds great Aaron.

Top Bottom