What's new

What are you listening to?

Shu Bop, and other Dion favorites. Some videos credit The Belmonts on Shu Bop, but my recollection is that it was recorded in the 90s with a different group for a planned Dion bio-flik that was never made. It's on a Dion CD from 2000 called Deja Nu, without the engine noise in this video. I just happen to love this 40 Ford.

This is one terrific cover of a favorite song, even without the vocals. The guitar playing is first-rate and matches the original note for note, far as I can tell:

Yeah! That is really accomplished! The Hendrix version has something like five different, distinct guitar parts, that a lot of folks think Hendrix recorded on different guitars, although I think in video of the Atlanta festival, Hendrix pretty much does it all live. This guy does an excellent job not only of playing all the notes, but getting close to the original tone. He definitely has the feel of the song down. I would say he does nearly all the notes. It seemed to me there were some things missing from the "wah" section, but it could easily be that Hendrix overdubbed some guitar in the original. There is only so much one guitar player can do! (Joe Walsh's solo version of "And Your Bird Can Sing" aside! :)

Truly excellent!

Yeah! That is really accomplished! The Hendrix version has something like five different, distinct guitar parts, that a lot of folks think Hendrix recorded on different guitars, although I think in video of the Atlanta festival, Hendrix pretty much does it all live. This guy does an excellent job not only of playing all the notes, but getting close to the original tone. He definitely has the feel of the song down. I would say he does nearly all the notes. It seemed to me there were some things missing from the "wah" section, but it could easily be that Hendrix overdubbed some guitar in the original. There is only so much one guitar player can do! (Joe Walsh's solo version of "And Your Bird Can Sing" aside! :)

Truly excellent!
The "original" is not by Hendrix though ... It's by Bob Dylan, from the album "John Wesley Harding" (1967)

The "original" is not by Hendrix though ... It's by Bob Dylan, from the album "John Wesley Harding" (1967)
That is fair. I know that to be so, but not everyone might know. I meant the studio Hendrix version the You Tube guy was covering. The original JWH Dylan version is rather different instrumentally. It is said that Dylan in concert adopted some of what Hendrix did with the song, but I cannot vouch for that. I apparently like JWH more than most Dylan fans do. And I loved "Watchtower" before Hendrix covered it. I admit I loved it more after he did, though.

It is said that Dylan in concert adopted some of what Hendrix did with the song...
This is what I've heard, that Dylan basically ceded the song to Hendrix. If you listen to the third verse ("Businessmen they drink my wine . . . None of them along the line . . ."), Hendrix blows the lyrics entirely, they make no sense, but it was left on the recording. To be fair, a lot of cover versions screw this up as well. I had to refer back to the Dylan recording to find out what he was really saying. OTOH, Dylan left out "in the cold distance" in his original final verse, and Hendrix added it. The extra beat fits the lyric structure better.

Discovered from the Hendrix version's isolated tracks: Dave Mason played 12-string acoustic rhythm guitar; and Hendrix played the terrific bass line, which is otherwise semi-buried in the complete mix. Mitch Mitchell's drumming is just nuts (as in good).

This is what I've heard, that Dylan basically ceded the song to Hendrix. If you listen to the third verse ("Businessmen they drink my wine . . . None of them along the line . . ."), Hendrix blows the lyrics entirely, they make no sense, but it was left on the recording. To be fair, a lot of cover versions screw this up as well. I had to refer back to the Dylan recording to find out what he was really saying. OTOH, Dylan left out "in the cold distance" in his original final verse, and Hendrix added it. The extra beat fits the lyric structure better.

Discovered from the Hendrix version's isolated tracks: Dave Mason played 12-string acoustic rhythm guitar; and Hendrix played the terrific bass line, which is otherwise semi-buried in the complete mix. Mitch Mitchell's drumming is just nuts (as in good).
Excellent post. Thanks for making it. As I recall, by all reports, Hendrix was an excellent bass player. Motown-nish. Melodic. They talk about Brian Wilson being able to hear completely arranged music in his head before getting musicians to actually record it. I am guessing Hendrix did some of the same. The bass seems amazing. And I agree that Mitch Mitchell drumming is just nuts. One of my all time fav drummers, anyway. But that is impressive. The song sure comes together.

Top Bottom