What's new

What are you listening to?

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Such a superb compilation isn’t it? For a Best Of album it’s so well sequenced it feels like a regular record. Great, great music 👍

Definitely. I'm generally not a huge fan of "greatest hits" compilations, because I prefer listening to the original albums from front to back as the piece of art that the artist intended it to be (I mean, what other way is there to enjoy Sgt. Pepper?), plus you always come across those so-called "deep tracks" that don't get the radio play when you do that. However, the Red & Blue Albums (along with the White of course) have earned their way into iconic, pop-cultural status in music. Your adjective "superb" is the best choice to describe them.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Upon further reflection, I will admit there are a few other "greatest hits" compilations that I listen to instead of the originals, Eagles vol I & II, Allman Bros, Fleetwood Mac, Creedence.... what I'm finding as the most common theme is that said compilations were already in existence during my childhood. If it's an artist who I grew up with, like say The Police, REM, or Springsteen, I almost NEVER listen to their greatest hits compilations, because I much prefer the originals albums.

Last edited:
Upon further reflection, I will admit there are a few other "greatest hits" compilations that I listen to instead of the originals, Eagles vol I & II, Allman Bros, Fleetwood Mac, Creedence.... what I'm finding as the most common theme is that said compilations were already in existence during my childhood. If it's an artist who I grew up with, like say The Police or Springsteen, I almost NEVER listen to their greatest hits compilations, because I much prefer the originals albums.
I’m in the same boat with exactly those artists you mentioned because I grew up with them and listened to the original records as they came out.

Now the Beatles Blue album actually was my first Beatles album which turned me on so much I got all the Beatles records and for a long time didn’t listen to it or the Red album because as you said, i felt the original records were the original art. But when I finally did start listening to the Blue again I found the sequencing was so good it sort of stood on it’s own as a record.

I’m in the same boat with exactly those artists you mentioned because I grew up with them and listened to the original records as they came out.

Now the Beatles Blue album actually was my first Beatles album which turned me on so much I got all the Beatles records and for a long time didn’t listen to it or the Red album because as you said, i felt the original records were the original art. But when I finally did start listening to the Blue again I found the sequencing was so good it sort of stood on it’s own as a record.
Agreed! First album I went out and bought. I could not believe what I was hearing and also proceeded to get the original albums.

The_Clash_-_Give_'Em_Enough_Rope.jpg

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
This afternoon will be Willie Nelson’s Stardust album. My all time favorite.

After that will be an Apple Music curated playlist of Bruce Springsteen deep cuts.

Top Bottom