What's new

What are you drinking tonight?

Cognac.
20201212_172741.jpg

Old Fashioned

Cheating because it was store bought, pre mixed.
Looks like you've been cheating quite a bit. ;)

Seriously though, how was it? As awful as this sounds, whenever I've tried to make an OF at home, it rarely comes out well. Even when I try measuring everything carefully. I've been tempted to try a pre-mix just because of that. Actually, if I could find a pre-mix for a Manhattan (just add whiskey..), that'd be even better!

Looks like you've been cheating quite a bit. ;)

Seriously though, how was it? As awful as this sounds, whenever I've tried to make an OF at home, it rarely comes out well. Even when I try measuring everything carefully. I've been tempted to try a pre-mix just because of that. Actually, if I could find a pre-mix for a Manhattan (just add whiskey..), that'd be even better!

I enjoyed it and would buy again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got a bottle of Smooth Ambler Big Level that I really like. Need to try the Old Scout, I’ve heard good things.
We had gotten a bottle of Big Level at work. Member came in and bought the whole thing before I could get a coffee stir stick taster. Saw it at the store yesterday, got the wife some Crown Royal Peach. I encourage her to drink things she likes. She just takes my Old Scout...

Actually, if I could find a pre-mix for a Manhattan (just add whiskey..), that'd be even better!

Here's your Manhattan pre-mix, just add whiskey. I would also add bitter myself, and a cherry, but a bar in San Francisco--Hayes Valley Grill, or something close to that, as I recall)--supposedly ran a months' long contest to determine the best Manhattan and it was simply this and Michter's 10 yo standard rye. No bitters, no cherry. I think they did add a lemon zest twist, but a pre-mix is not going to have that anyway! :) Stirred not shaken and served up.

1612290423150.png

Here's your Manhattan pre-mix, just add whiskey. I would also add bitter myself, and a cherry, but a bar in San Francisco--Hayes Valley Grill, or something close to that, as I recall)--supposedly ran a months' long contest to determine the best Manhattan and it was simply this and Michter's 10 yo standard rye. No bitters, no cherry. I think they did add a lemon zest twist, but a pre-mix is not going to have that anyway! :) Stirred not shaken and served up.
I'm gonna blame my monitor, and not aging eyes here...but any chance you can provide the name on that bottle? The pixels aren't operating properly over here. ;)

I'm gonna blame my monitor, and not aging eyes here...but any chance you can provide the name on that bottle? The pixels aren't operating properly over here. ;)
Sorry. I thought it would be more recognizable. "Carpo Antica Formula." Essentially excellent Italian red vermouth. More expensive than most ryes, although one uses less vermouth than whiskey in a Manhattan. Based on the original recipe for vermouth, supposedly. Very full-flavored. My favorite vermouth, although I do not have any great problem using others like Dolan.

Not all that many years ago it was very hard to find, at least for me. Now, where I am in the Washington, DC area, it seems very easy to get. Highly recommended, although it is not cheap. It seems to last quite a while in the fridge for me, once opened, but certainly not forever and I would keep the opened bottle in the fridge.

Sorry. I thought it would be more recognizable. "Carpo Antica Formula." Essentially excellent Italian red vermouth. ...
Thank you! My spirits knowledge tends to be very specific. This likely is recognizable to most, and pointed out my ignorance. I should have anticipated a vermouth.

Top Bottom