What's new

What are you drinking tonight?

I have a Zoom drinks session tomorrow with a bunch of guys who I first met in Jakarta in 1995 - a couple are here now, one's in Bangkok, one's in Melbourne, a couple in HK and one is somewhere in the US and will likely not be joining due to the time difference(!) So I have had the incomparable Atlas bar deliver a 500ml Martini, a 500ml Negroni and a baby Gimlet - start small and work up to it.View attachment 1114201

which one of their thousand gins did you choose for the martini?

That's a good question - I forget what the standard house pour is. All I can remember is that it's a London dry gin, obviously(!) Hopefully in the next week or so it will reopen so I can go and check...

Jim Beam Devil's Cut old fashion. Never tried this before. I have always seen the commercials and thought of it as cheesy marketing which, along with over the top bottle designs, usually means bad swill marketed to binge drinking kids. A friend suggested it and so I decided to go out and buy a bottle, it is cheap so what the heck. It is very oak woody on the nose and throughout the pallet. I like Jim Beam Black Extra Aged and this reminds me of that but with a tea bag of white oak sawdust in the glass :biggrin1: , not in a bad way. It is pretty good and cheap. It makes a very good Old Fashion.

20200618_175419.jpg

Jim Beam Devil's Cut old fashion. Never tried this before. I have always seen the commercials and thought of it as cheesy marketing which, along with over the top bottle designs, usually means bad swill marketed to binge drinking kids. A friend suggested it and so I decided to go out and buy a bottle, it is cheap so what the heck. It is very oak woody on the nose and throughout the pallet. I like Jim Beam Black Extra Aged and this reminds me of that but with a tea bag of white oak sawdust in the glass :biggrin1: , not in a bad way. It is pretty good and cheap. It makes a very good Old Fashion.

View attachment 1114872
I’ve never been a huge fan of Jim Beam’s stuff either, but I recently picked up one of their Repeal Batch bottling that I saw on special at my local wine shop. I’ve been pretty impressed especially at the $10 price point, it’s not bad on its own and pretty darn good in a cocktail.
1592544920631.png

Watermelon La Croix and vodka has become my latest warm-weather drink (with a little lemon juice). Had a handful of those tonight... whoops

That actually sounds delicious, will have to give it a whirl next time I'm after something light.

Usually for me it's Blanton's, Weller or EHT - or an old fashioned (usually with Woodford). But Kentucky Mules have been my light/refreshing drink of choice so far this summer. So nice!

IMG_2937.jpg

Whiskey sours tonight. Buffalo Trace bourbon. First round: Boston Sours. Second round: New York Sours with a Cab floater. Will try Port floaters next time.

Curious to know your shaker sequence.
Never heard of the NY Sour but after looking it up I’m definitely going to give that a go. Can imagine it would be great with a port float...
Speaking of port, different drink but have you ever tried a Bar Drake Manhattan? Manhattan recipe from a hotel in SF that includes port and a bit of maple syrup.

Never heard of the NY Sour but after looking it up I’m definitely going to give that a go. Can imagine it would be great with a port float...
Speaking of port, different drink but have you ever tried a Bar Drake Manhattan? Manhattan recipe from a hotel in SF that includes port and a bit of maple syrup.
I have not, but I’ll check that out! Thanks!
Belmont Jewels today. Buffalo Trace Bourbon, lemonade, pomegranate juice, orange zest, with a lemon slice, on the rocks.
16169B94-D766-4838-90E4-F00C1F8B8C09.jpeg

Tamnavulin Double Cask, neat. A sampler from Flaviar. Nice for after dinner. I would buy a bottle if I could find one.

Top Bottom