What's new

What are three must try pipe tobacco?

Thanks everyone for the useful tips! I ordered some jars and lighter fluid. BTW tobacco was shipped, expecting delivery on Thursday!:badger:

Seems like I'm odd man out:

Erinmore Flake

Peterson's Connoisseur's Choice

Mac Baren Scottish Mixture.

Cheers, George

JuSt saw this thread and was suddenly very happy :). New to a pipe myself about 6 months and have only tried a handful of. Blends but I can recommend Lane 1Q as by far my favorite so far! I kinda laugh because with out seeing this thread I put in a order including Dunhill nightcap and Early morning just yesterday :)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Order placed at 4noggins for:

Carter Hall
Frog Morton Cellar
Escudo
Dunhill Nightcap

It was difficult to choose due to so many great choices.

Thanks everyone I appreciate your recommendations! Now the waiting begins.

So, have you tried the Escudo yet?

I cube cut a couple of the coins and lightly packed it in my prince style Savinelli a little while ago. Did two charring lights, tamping down a bit after it swelled up, then after the real light it burned great. Real smooth smoke.

I smoked it on the back deck and only did one relight, and that was after I set it down for a few minutes to go inside and get another brew.

So, have you tried the Escudo yet?

I cube cut a couple of the coins and lightly packed it in my prince style Savinelli a little while ago. Did two charring lights, tamping down a bit after it swelled up, then after the real light it burned great. Real smooth smoke.

I smoked it on the back deck and only did one relight, and that was after I set it down for a few minutes to go inside and get another brew.

I've had had three bowls. Probably my favorite tobacco. Tastes like plums and figs. Good strength, and burns slow. I was happily surprised that I smoked it to white ash on my first bowl.
I've been ordering some of the well known tobaccos such as My mixture 965, Full Virginia Flake, Old Gowrie and others including some from Peter Stokkebye. I recommend Black Truffle from PS. Tastes like chocolate and caramel. I enjoy blending it with some of the full strength tobaccos.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I've had had three bowls. Probably my favorite tobacco. Tastes like plums and figs. Good strength, and burns slow. I was happily surprised that I smoked it to white ash on my first bowl.
I've been ordering some of the well known tobaccos such as My mixture 965, Full Virginia Flake, Old Gowrie and others including some from Peter Stokkebye. I recommend Black Truffle from PS. Tastes like chocolate and caramel. I enjoy blending it with some of the full strength tobaccos.

I'd like to try the 965 and FVF. I'll have to look at the Old Gowrie and the PS stuff in the next order. I just put in an order for some C&D Bow Legged Bear, C&D Burley Flake #3, and some Rattray's Hal O' Wynd.

I seem to like the stronger stuff. Irish Oak, though not as strong as some, seems to disappear the most quickly.

I have two tins of Irish Oak, one jarred. I guess if I offer a PIF sample of Irish Oak to ya I need to put it on the stock exchange just to you. I just opened a tin of Irish Flake also.

Check the stock exchange.

Last edited:
Simon, I think you'll like the Burley Flake #3. It definitely packs a tasty punch. Also it's ready to pack right out of the tin. Old Joe Krantz is also another favorite strong tobacco.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Simon, I think you'll like the Burley Flake #3. It definitely packs a tasty punch. Also it's ready to pack right out of the tin. Old Joe Krantz is also another favorite strong tobacco.

I was going to order some Old Joe Krantz but the place I ordered from didn't have it, along with others like C&D Billy Budd, GH&Co. Dark Birdseye or Kendal Dark, or Rattray's Stiriling Flake.

SWMBO quit smoking cigs. about a week ago and the place I ordered from had a specific type of smoke neutralizing candle I wanted to try, to see if that would help with her new sensitivity to smoke now. The meds. the Doc gave her to help with her nicotine cravings are playing havoc with her digestive system and smeller. Maybe things will straighten up when she finishes the meds.

Edit: SWMBO came home real early this morning with a sick tummy and "digestive" problems. She said she quit the meds. yesterday because they were tearing her up. It might take a few days to get that out of her system. She needs to tell the Doc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom